Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
To Haul The Genset To Michigan, Or Not

We are leaving on a round trip to Michigan (shore side), then to the UP and come back through Wisconsin.

We've never been to either and the question that comes to mind, is whether I need to haul the Yamaha 2400 or not. It's a PITA to carry around.

We have no specific plans to boondock, but don't know if having it(because of the season) would be a good idea.

Advice and campground suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I have been limited by my failure to take mine too many times. They go. Every time.
Having them just allows for more options.

Have a good trip!

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Last summer a campground lost power for half a day w/ 95 degree heat. I was very happy to have generator. On this trip didn't bring it (short trip) but campground keeps flirting with low voltage in the heat wave. I like mine for rest stops. I generally bring it on longer tips, but like you don't like lugging it around.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
2009 27' FB International
Winnipeg , Manitoba
We just returned from a trip through that area. If you are planning to stop near Marquette, this was a very nice campground.

http://www.gitchegumeepark.com/home.html

Paste into google maps (46.488347,-87.230802)

We only stayed one night, but the sites were beautiful, full hookups, and a very interesting campground owner.

We also satyed at the Mackinac City KOA, not too bad for a KOA, full hookups, and Sheplers ferry to Mackinac Island has a shuttle service that will pick you up and drop you off at the campground... it was a wonderful day trip.

Enjoy your trip!
Airstream 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We often make unplanned stops in smaller state campgrounds that don't have electricity, or on forest land (boondocking). If we hadn't had our generators with us, we would have been limited to one or two nights. Some of the best camp spots we've stayed at were not on our itinerary and didn't have hookups.

Just my opinion, but we always take ours...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream 65 View Post
We just returned from a trip through that area. If you are planning to stop near Marquette, this was a very nice campground.

http://www.gitchegumeepark.com/home.html

Paste into google maps (46.488347,-87.230802)

We only stayed one night, but the sites were beautiful, full hookups, and a very interesting campground owner.

We also satyed at the Mackinac City KOA, not too bad for a KOA, full hookups, and Sheplers ferry to Mackinac Island has a shuttle service that will pick you up and drop you off at the campground... it was a wonderful day trip.

Enjoy your trip!
Thanks, AS 65, for the tips.

I've tried the State Park sites, and they don't seem to be that RV friendly (like the Arkansas parks we frequent so often).

As a matter of fact, I've made plans that include Marquette.

Did you find campground availability to be much of an issue during your trip?

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
Old 07-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
2009 27' FB International
Winnipeg , Manitoba
We had no trouble finding campgrounds in the Upper Peninsula, however we did finish our trip before the school kids were out for the year.
Airstream 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
generator

my yamaha 3000i is like an american express card...i do not leave home without it
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Take it.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Okay one thing's settled. The genset travels with us (figured I was going to lug the darn thing in the first place).

NOW, how about some campground tips like AS 65 gave me?

2011 23 FC FB
Old 07-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
Thanks, AS 65, for the tips.

I've tried the State Park sites, and they don't seem to be that RV friendly (like the Arkansas parks we frequent so often).

As a matter of fact, I've made plans that include Marquette.

Did you find campground availability to be much of an issue during your trip?
As you might guess by our username, we are native michiganders and have been to more than 30 of the 65+ Michigan State Parks. I am not sure what you mean by "RV friendly", but every Michigan State Park we have ever been to has always had tons of pop-ups, trailers and motorhomes parked there, as well as lots of tents.

Almost all of our state parks have electricity and a few have full hook-ups (Hartwick Pines and Holland, for example).

We camp in a 30' MH and no one ever blinks an eye when we pull in, except to remark that they didn't know AS built MH's and how beautiful ours is.

Availability is an issue because our parks are very popular. A few require a solid 6 month advance booking to get in. Fortunately, most are much easier to get into.

In general, the further north you go, especially up into the UP, the less crowded they are.

Michigan also has an extensive network of State Forest Campgrounds that are all rustic and mostly very secluded.

Here is the link for Michigan parks reservation system (also lists SFCG's) www.midnrreservations.com The online booking system works very well and is reliable. It also takes less time to book online because the folks at the "800" number are required to literally read all of the rules and reg's to you before they book you.

Good luck with your travel through MI!

BTW, I agree, take the genset with you. You'll want it for boondocking.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Sent you a PM regarding places to go.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Many thanks, Michigander. Great information.

"RV friendly" was perhaps the wrong word to use, and for that I apologize.

Both MI and WI websites are somewhat "different" from what I'm used to. Most of the MO. and AR. parks furnish actual photos of the sites to aid in your choice.

I suspect when all's said and done, serendipity will play a big part in this adventure.

Do you have any suggestions around the Benton Harbor area?

2011 23 FC FB
Old 07-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
Many thanks, Michigander. Great information.

"RV friendly" was perhaps the wrong word to use, and for that I apologize.

Both MI and WI websites are somewhat "different" from what I'm used to. Most of the MO. and AR. parks furnish actual photos of the sites to aid in your choice.

I suspect when all's said and done, serendipity will play a big part in this adventure.

Do you have any suggestions around the Benton Harbor area?
I see what you mean. That would be nice to have photos.

We usually scout a park that interests us in the fall when it's easy to get in, mark our favorite sites, then plan ahead in the winter for the next summer.

Other than that you would have to rely on info from friends, etc. Even with tips from friends, because everyone's idea of the perfect CG or site is different it's hard to recommend individual sites.

There are several MI SP's near Bentor Harbor: Warren Dunes SP and Holland SP (we have stayed at both of these and like them) are closer than Grand Haven SP, PJ Hoffmaster SP and Muskegon SP. All of these are on the Lake Michigan shore and are very popular. There are plenty of neighboring attractions. Any one of these would be a good place to start.

Also, some of these are within easy driving distance of each other, so you could drive around and check them out.

Silver Lk SP (also on the lakeshore) allows dune buggy driving on the sand dunes. However, because of this it attracts a fair amount of noisy vehicles.

Hope this helps. Have fun!
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We watch to see how the RV parks are filling up and call ahead when it seems to be very busy, especially on weekends. With some state parks being closed and some private CG's going out of business because of less travel in recent years, you never know what is ahead. I don't know about Michigan and Wisconsin, but state parks and federal campgrounds out here are using a concessionaire to handle reservations at $9/reservation. Concessionaires are now running a lot of the federal campgrounds and have doubled prices. State parks keep increasing prices and charging extra for things like daily admission + camping fee in Colorado, so public campgrounds are getting very expensive. But a lot of small towns have campgrounds that are quite reasonable and have hookups although wifi may be extra. There are a lot of those in the Midwest.

I check RV Park Reviews :: Home , Woodall's, AAA and the Forum to get an idea of what's up ahead. We don't like to make a lot reservations far ahead because we change out minds sometimes and stay longer somewhere or go somewhere we hadn't planned on. Also, we were told by a CG owner that people were traveling shorter distances and staying longer to save on fuel. Popular public CG's can be booked up months in advance although some have walk in (really drive in) spaces available if you get there at the right time, usually midday.

We usually travel in the shoulder seasons because it is quieter and campgrounds are less crowded, but even then you can run into anything. Not everyone can do that and has to travel when it seems everyone else is.

We've never ended up on the side of the road, but sometimes you have to act fast when you see campgrounds along the way filling up in early afternoon. Unlike a lot of RVers, we get up late, leave late and drive late, but no one answers the phone at a lot of private CG's after 5, so we start calling in mid-afternoon when things look tight.

We traveled up the east coast of Michigan, north coast of the UP and Wisconsin and then to Duluth (nice city campground there) and up to northern Minnesota several years ago—not quite your trip, but similar. Mackinack Is. was worth a ferry trip—no cars allowed on the island. We stayed at a private CG just south of Mackinaw City, maybe Mill City, which has some nice sites along the Lake Huron and a view of the bridge. It wasn't officially open yet—very early in the season—but they let us in and we had the place mostly to ourselves. Mackinaw City has a public CG too. Gigantic place (550 sites), but served our needs.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Bob & Gene, your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I knew when I posted my questions on the forum, folks would come to my rescue. And that they.

Thanks to all!!!

2011 23 FC FB
Old 07-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #17
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hi Murry, is your generator adaquate to run the AC ???? I have a Honda 2500 but have not yet tried it. Most recommendations I see advise that the AC needs a minimum of 3k to run. It would be nice to know if it will run just in case we find a need on those HOT days. So far we've done most of our dry camping at altitudes high enough to not need the AC but you never know.

Thanks, see ya on the road

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
2001 31' Limited
1985 29' Sovereign
Jenison , Michigan
Holiday Park in Traverse City is GREAT! Holiday Park Campground in Traverse City, Michigan Home Page
62bam is offline   Reply With Quote