Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
To greet or not to greet?

We are heading out for our most excellent adventure that will take us from Texas through Canada and back. It is our first trip "in public" with our FC and we will be on the road for about six weeks. In my camping experience with SOB there are not usually as many AS in a campground as SOB. I have also noticed on the forums that posters comment that they have knocked on the doors to visit other AS owners. SO, my question is, if we see another AS should we attempt to make contact or leave them to their privacy? I wouldn't want to come off as a snob if the community is known for being friendly to each other. Gee, I hope this comes across as a nice question.....
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Greet! We always try to make contact with other AS owners in campgrounds. We talk to everyone anyway if they want when we're camping, and always have, even when we had SOB trailers. You may get the brush off once or twice, but overall, I think, AS owners are almost always friendly. Part of the fun of camping and traveling is meeting new people and enjoying new experiences, in our book. "The joy is in the journey"!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Everyone has a different comfort level when it comes to this kind of stuff. Personally I would never go up and knock on someone's door nor would I appreciate others doing that to me. I do like to say hello when they are out and then follow that up with a comment about their AS. Once they respond it is easy to tell if they want to talk to you or not. If not, I respect their desire for privacy and move along.

Just last week we were camping in Idaho and a couple did this to us as we were outside. We had a nice conversation about our experiences and travel plans. In my experience, most folks are quite friendly and encounters have been very positive but I never push myself on anyone.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
A look at how they set up their campsite can give you a clue. If they have a "complete package" (e.g., any or all of the following: flamingos, lots of chairs and tables, flags, gnomes, flowerpots, WBCCI #'s, name sign, large mat, awning lights, etc.. about) then you can make a safe bet that they are social types.

If the site is completely devoid of any personal effects, perhaps not so much!

Nevertheless, it's always best to approach someone while they are already out of their camper sitting around.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I have been approached and have approached other AS owners when outside.

In fact I have sat around an hour or so watching their site so I could say hello when they would come outside. Never had a problem and met some nice people.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . I too make it a point to initiate contact with other Streamers, and the result has always been positive. Also, while sitting outside with 'the dog' & a beverage, most people walking by will initiate conversation about the Airstream (or the dog ) We've met a lot of nice people that way. We stumbled on to a caravan at the North Rim campground (GCNP) last fall, and even sans trailer we stopped to talk. In a few minutes 15 or so folks were gathered, chatting and my bride was being given tours of nearby AS. Fun stuff. Regards, Craig
Old 06-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
p.s. . . I don't go knocking on doors ., Craig
Old 06-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
silverlabs, I would not knock on anyone's door, especially first thing in the morning.

If they are sitting around outside, this will give you some clues as to the approacability factor. If the moon is out, the wine is flowing, and they are feeling each other up, don't approach them (for obvious reasons - best not to interfere with those romantic interludes). However, if they look like they are so bored with each other - even a visit from Hannibal Lecter would be a welcome diversion - do it.

You obviously love dogs. If they have dogs - the welcome mat is usually out. (Bring Milkbones!) This will ingratiate you to dog (and owner(s).

The BS factor usually works too. Tell them "Yours is the best Airstream ever!" (Even though you think yours is the best ever).

Glad to be of assistance.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
I agree completely with aftermath. I wouldn't knock on someone's door, but if I see them relaxing outside, I would say something to indicate our mutual AS ownership. I would also greet SOB campers too - I find most campers share many interests and are usually very friendly, probably because they're doing what they enjoy!
Old 06-26-2014, 10:28 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
If the Airstream is rockin', don't come knockin'...
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlabs View Post
We are heading out for our most excellent adventure that will take us from Texas through Canada and back. It is our first trip "in public" with our FC and we will be on the road for about six weeks. In my camping experience with SOB there are not usually as many AS in a campground as SOB. I have also noticed on the forums that posters comment that they have knocked on the doors to visit other AS owners. SO, my question is, if we see another AS should we attempt to make contact or leave them to their privacy? I wouldn't want to come off as a snob if the community is known for being friendly to each other. Gee, I hope this comes across as a nice question.....
Considering your heading across Canada, you can always knock on my door if you get in the area. Heck we might even have the ability to direct you to the "must see" places as you move along with your trip.

Have a great trip

Cheers
Doug