Old 09-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
To CO & Back from MO 1st Trip..

Our first trip with the Bambi.. 2,400 miles, pulling with a Toyota Tacoma.
No real problems.. Had a blast.
Here we are getting ready to go..

Our first night was at the Walmart in Goodland, KS.

(By the way, sorry about the pics, late at night, taken w/ a cell phone.
This was our campsite outside Lake City, CO. We stayed at Castle Lakes, had a great site. (We like trees, and privacy.)

Another view.. (once again cell phone camera shots.)

Last shot.. Getting ready to head back to MO..

Over all we had a great time. This is the first time we have used a full hook up site. Not bad. I had seen so many what I call parking lot type campgrounds, I did not know if I'd go for a full hook-up location. This was a nice compromise.
If I had a little more fortitude I might have moved to one of the Forest Service campgrounds near by. Mill Creek looked nice, but we had no shower..
we bought this 04 Bambi from Bill Thomas here in St Louis area.. It has had a number of problems.. We have been trying to get them resolved at Bill Thomas, but they have proven very un-reliable..
The non-working shower was just the latest.. I don't think it's too serious, but, no cold water in the shower makes it pretty toasty.
Reading the Ops Man it looked like maybe the cartridge in the controller may be stuck.. My fear was if I took it apart, and could not get it back together, we could not have any water at all , then it would have been hotel time.. I was not going to risk it.
Over all the Bambi was great, everything else worked fine. It was pretty cold, Sat am we had ice on the picnic table..
It pulled great with the Tacoma, a little slow on Monarch Pass, but not much slower than everyone else thru the turns..
I think we are going to keep her.. (the Bambi)
Already planning our next trip.. Hopefully with a shower...
Jeff

Old 09-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Congratulations on maiden voyage. I'm sure that you will be able to work out your little problems.

From your photos, it looks like you may be pulling a little high in the front. What type of hitch system are you using, and how is it adjusted?

Ideally, you should be pulling dead level. If this is not possible, it would be preferable to be a little low in the front.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
I'm not sure of the make, but it might be one of the more "inexpensive" hitches. It has a chain on each side for load leveling.
The dealer told me to set it up with two links loose, and go to three when loaded.
I looked at it with three links loose and it was really "humped", so I stayed with two loose. I had read to have the nose down a little, as opposed to nose up.
I think the pics may make it look a little worse than it was.
It seemed pretty level when we were on level ground. Not much of that where we were..
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-21-2009, 04:39 PM   #4
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
You spent some time in one of our favorite areas of Colorado, when we can get over there! I hope you did the hike over to the Wheeler Geologic Area? It is quite amazing. There ARE some very lovely camp places around there, but you would have not been happy w/out your shower. Maybe next time!!

I hope if you liked your campground enough, you will contemplate adding it to the "reviews" section w/the button above. It is divided into regions, and is always nice for others here to peruse when not familiar w/a state or area.

I remember our 1st trip out in the "Moonunit". We headed over to Zion. What a blast w/our 2 boys. We had a number of "first time campers w/trailer instead of tent" problems too, including a water line break at bedtime. We looks back on it fondly now. Bet you can't wait....

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
I'll have to find the "reviews" section, because the folks at Castle Rock Lakes were pretty nice, and we had a great time.
It was a little pricey for us, we're used to Natl FS Campgrounds for $10 to $15/day.. They charge $29/day, but as I mentioned the hook-ups were nice.
We had also expected to put a canoe in thier lake, but "no boats allowed" of any kind put a stop to that. So we fished and floated around the larger lake just south of Lake City.
We did not hike over the site you mentioned. We hiked to Cataract Lake, and Heart Lake.. Wish I had known about it.
We also 4 wheeled up to Carson, a neat abondoned town on the way to Heart Lake.
We are going back for sure, there was a lot to do we just ran out of time to get to.
We also want to get over to Utah, we've never been to those Natl Parks or sights.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-21-2009, 09:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Congratulations on maiden voyage. I'm sure that you will be able to work out your little problems.

From your photos, it looks like you may be pulling a little high in the front. What type of hitch system are you using, and how is it adjusted?

Ideally, you should be pulling dead level. If this is not possible, it would be preferable to be a little low in the front.

Brian
Brian,
Here's a little better picture.. This one taken at the top of Monarch Pass in CO. I think it shows trailer & truck levels a little better. Does it still seem like the trailer is too high in front?

Old 09-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Jeff - the "Reviews" button is at the top of the page where the Classified, Photos, etc. are. I like it because it divides into areas (West, South...) and most have a few pics. Will be great if you decide to add your experience w/campground! Like I said, I think your "trials" were fairly normal and will be looked back on as a part of the great fun!!!?? Do hope you make it back to the wonderful State of Colorado. The Full Serve CG usually are more, but mixed in w/cheaper CG can be a blessing when you need them. We have taken advantage several times as there are not a lot of NFCG that have the amenities like electric here in CO. Your rig looks good to me!

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:34 PM   #8
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Thanks

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the mention of Castle Lakes Campground. I visited their web site ( main ) and I will definitely look into that next time I head that way.
Regards,
Ken
Old 09-22-2009, 04:29 PM   #9
Married to Soldiermedic

San Antonio , Texas
Welcome home after the madien voyage. Glad to have another MO person with an Airstream that is in the STL area.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Update: Bill Thomas has been great!

I mentioned earlier that we had no shower for our first big trip.. The cartridge in the shower had locked up, so no cold water came thru.. Way to hot to use..
I took our Bambi back in to Bill Thomas and they were great to us. They not only fixed the shower (replaced the cartridge 4 hrs) but I mentioned the brakes had locked up once.. (I backed up and they unlocked) So they replaced everything on both sides pads, shoes etc, and turned the rotors.
They noticed the paint over the rear bumber (storage door) was discolored, so they repainted it.
Then they washed all the bugs and grime off it from our 2,000 mi trip out to CO and back.
Well, needless to say, I'm back on solid ground with them..
It's nice having a dealer close and reliable..
Jeff