Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Bend , Oregon
Tire pressure monitors

I know this subject has been discussed earlier but I would like to hear the latest thoughts.
Is there a brand that is really the best? I have heard of Pressure Pro and N Vision but no others? Any input will be appreciated.I recently had a scare due to road debris ruining a tire and don't want to do that again.
jfowler218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
GD

2007 27' Classic FB
1960 17' Pacer
Bozeman , Montana
Pressure Pro

I haven't been impressed with the Pressure Pro that I purchased. It was somewhat expensive (~$450.00) with pressure sensors, monitor and metal valve stems. While driving, it seems to go off at random which can you to focus more on trying to see if one tire is losing pressure than concentrating on driving. While driving up to Colorado this summer, the system would randomly alert us that one of the tires had low pressure (wasn't always the same tire) and when we would scroll through the tire pressure guages, all were fine. After leaving Colorado, we turned the system off and haven't used it since.
gduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Odd. My Pressure Pro has been installed for two years and some 18000 miles with no problems whatsoever. It has gone off twice and both times there was indeed a problem.

Luck of the draw?

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Don McKelvay

1994 34' Limited
London , Ontario
Hopefully this will help you.
We have had our Pressure Pro for almost 5 years and love them. Twice we have had a blown tire on the trailer or the tire started to go flat and immediately gave me the indication which saved damaging the trailer body. If it had not been for the monitors I would never have know there was a problem until I stopped.
This year at the Madison Rally I spoke to the Pressure Pro salesman (whom I had bought from 5 years ago) about the many other companies selling monitors. One thing I knew was that Doran originally had an agreement with Pressure Pro for them to put his name on their monitors provided he bought a large quantity. I was told for many reasons that arrangement was severed and Doran had to design their own monitor. From the Pressure Pro website: "Doran is no longer a Distributor handling the Original PressurePro™ (they were not the manufacturer), and any leftover stock they may have is no longer warranteed".

The Pressure Pro website:

Compare PressurePro with Doran and other Systems

Has very good comparison of their system with about 5 other companies - check it out.

Pressure Pro have made a few minor changes since I bought them such as a better valve in the monitor, an increase in the range from the monitor to the receiver and the ability to read higher pressures tires. In the end I am very happy and no longer have to spend time going around to each tire to check the pressure but simply use the receiver and in less than 10 seconds know the pressures of each of my 10 tires on the trailer and truck.

Don
Don McKelvay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I've had the PressurePro for nearly 3 years and, on a few rare occasions, it has given a random false alarm. Each time, it's been in high traffic populated areas, so it may have been radio interference from similar transmitters. It's a small price to pay for peace of mind. I recently had a flat due to a faulty valve stem, and it was there when I needed it. So, in my opinion, it's already paid for itself. I like the convenience of being able to check the tire pressure at anytime while under way. If I had to do it over again, I absolutely would.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Amen to that...our PressurePros have already paid for themselves...we, too, had a rubber valve stem fail and within seconds we were down to 14 psi...and the PressurePro let us know immediately that we had a problem...giving us time to get off the road and out of traffic without damage to the AS... I would not travel without them... (We have since installed metal valve stems, which I highly recommend)... It gives you amazing peace of mind to be able to push a button and get a pressure reading on any of your tries at any time while in motion....
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:55 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

PressurePro has alerted me to tire problems three times over the past three years: one belt separation which caused fast tire deflation, and two nails which caused slow pressure loss. In all cases, I was able to stop and fix the problems before they caused damage on the road. Before the alarm went off, I had no idea I had a tire problem.

PressurePro is easy to use and extremely reliable.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:46 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Has anyone had any experience with TST monitors sold at Camping World and how they compare to Pressure Pro. They look like they are less expensive. Here's a webhttp://www.tsttruck.com/Home_Page.htmlsite on the TST monitors.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
, Georgia
After reading these posts and doing some more research on Consumer Report I have ordered a PressurePro.

During my research I saw some LED valve caps that also monitor the tire pressure.

Has anyone experience with these?

Pops
Pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I have been thinking of purchasing a PressurePro and reading threads like this sure helps in making up my mind. What a great place to get information.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:04 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Does the Pressure Pro warn of high temperatures as well as pressure? Usually a tire ready to blow is very hot.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
, Georgia
Smile LEDs on TV to monitor pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops View Post
After reading these posts and doing some more research on Consumer Report I have ordered a PressurePro.

During my research I saw some LED valve caps that also monitor the tire pressure.

Has anyone experience with these?

Pops
I returned from my 1st trip using the PressurePro and it worked as advertised. I am pleased.

The instructions did talk about monitoring tire temperature but I am not sure if it will alarm for temp.

I also found the LED valve stem pressure monitors and will try them on my TV. Could not afford the PressurePro for the TV and I think I would feel a tire in trouble on the TV.
Tire pressure caps, Tire pressure indicators, tire monitor, monitor tire pressure, tire gauges - led trailer lights, white led backup lights, led truck lights, led turn signals, LED Cab Marker Lights, Tire pressure indicators, Tire pressure caps, tir

Pops
Old 08-25-2009, 11:18 AM   #13
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
After speaking with many folks about the systems they use for monitoring trailer tires we just installed the Doran Monitor 360RV this past weekend. A very simple install taking no more than 35 minutes total. The unit costs us about $400 with four sensors, but can monitor up to 36 tires by adding snsors whenever you want!
• State of the art LCD screen simply and quickly provides the information the operator needs to use the system
• “Green means GOODTM” one glance design (patent pending)
• Simple to understand and operate the display with four-way navigational buttons
• Fast leak indicator provides a warning for a fast pressure drop (patent pending)
• Dual low tire pressure alerts (12.5% & 25% below baseline pressure)
• Multiple types of alarms (audible, location, pressure, red warning symbol)
• Monitor reads up to 36 tires and can be customized to match to your RV setup
• Option to activate high pressure alert (25% above baseline pressure)
• Optional hard-wire installation enables a “sleep mode” to be activated when the ignition is turned off.
The alarms are disabled while the system continues to monitor the tire pressures. Any potential alarms will
be triggered when the ignition is turned on.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
, Georgia
I started my second trip, much longer, and the Pressure Pro paid for itself in the 1st. hour.
The system alarmed and showed one tire at 50psi. I was able to stop and repair a leaking valve stem without any serious damage.
The metal stem was loose and I was able to tighten the nut.
That was 1,000 miles ago and no alarms since.

Pops
Old 09-17-2009, 06:51 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have friends who have a good experience with Pressure Pro but there is a newer model, available thru Camping World, made by TST which monitors pressure AND temperature. I am leaning there. Does anyone have any expericence with this model?
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #16
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We've used the Doran 360 for more than a year without a problem.

Check this older thread for more info. There's a new one from Hawkshead mentioned in Post # 116. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...tor-38023.html

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Five years with Pressure Pros

We're into our fifth year with our Pressure Pros and the little gems have warned us of three tire pressure problems. Any one of these tire issues could have caused damage to the trailer skin or plumbing dump valves had we not taken immediate action. While expensive, we feel that the expense has been a good insurance investment with a one time premium. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:05 AM   #18
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
The Pressure Pro website states that updates are at 5 min intervals.
Does that mean you have to wait five minutes to know if a tire is deflating?

Tom W
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:13 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
This topic has been very helpfull. Thank you

dale

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:30 AM   #20
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
My Pressure Pro system has worked very well. My system gives me both pressure and temperature readings for each tire. Tires do tend to heat up prior to blowing out.

I have had some loss of signal going down the road, so I have now purchased and installed a repeat transmitter in the rear of the rig. I also installed monitors on the tow dolly.

What I really like is not having to check each tire prior to leaving on a trip. I just set in the drivers seat and read them off.

If you are getting false alarms you probably have one or more tires set at a bad threshold.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote