Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2016, 08:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Sounds like this is an important item to have for our AS's. What brands have folks found that are easy to use, reliable and not too expensive? Thanks And Happy NewYear to all!
atheness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I have a Dill. I can't comment on not too expensive, but it works well. It has several screen setups, none of which exactly match a tandem axle trailer, but I picked the one for a steerable trailer with front and rear axles. The sending units mount inside the wheels which eliminates one source of failure, flex in the valve stems, but adds difficulty to change the batteries. I needed the (included) external antenna under the truck bed to get a reliable signal.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We spent the money towards Michelin XLT 16" tires and Sendel wheels and don't use TPMS. We could still have a blowout but it's very, very unlikely unless from a nail and slow leak. TPMS probably won't save damage if the blowout is sudden, useful if the pressure drop is slower.

If we had the original Good Year Marathon tires we would use TPMS, may not save damage but the probability of sudden failure is much, much higher.

Not a recommendation, just what we do.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have used a Doran system for 5 years. Has notified me of 3 valve stem failures and one nail puncture. Paid for itself at least 2 times over as notice was given before tires were low enough to be damaged by driving on them flat and thus ruining them....let alone possibly saving body damage.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I have a system marketed as "Hawkshead" on the trailer that I have used for quite a few years, and I subsequently put the same system on our motorcycle.

The sensors screw onto the valve stems and the batteries are easily changed.

About the only thing that bothers me a little is that when you start out after leaving the vehicle parked over night, it can take up to 15 minutes of driving before the monitor links up with the sensors, so you have no protection during that time.

Apparently this is normal - not sure if other systems are the same.

It would also be nice if you could immediately check pressures before setting out on a trip, you cannot, but I always do a walk around anyway.

It will alert (flashing lights and beeping) and discriminate between slow leaks, blow outs, and also over pressure and excess temperature.

Never yet had a tire problem on the road to test out its effectiveness, but certainly if I loosen a sensor to let a little air out of a tire it alerts right away! I have had over pressure alarms a few times once the tires heat up if I put too much air in the tires in relation to the nominal pressure that I have set the system to monitor.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
"About the only thing that bothers me a little is that when you start out after leaving the vehicle parked over night, it can take up to 15 minutes of driving before the monitor links up with the sensors, so you have no protection during that time."

Brian,

Try experimenting a bit. Probably all are not the same, but with the Doran:

1) if you power up the dash unit PRIOR to applying pressure to the sensors, the reading is immediate, as the head "sees" a change in pressure immediately.
2) If you leave the sensors AND head powered up for a quick overnight, readings are real time.
3) if you leave sensors installed and power down the head, it can take up to 6 minutes (for Doran) to give a reading, depending where in the periodic 6 minute update cycle the individual sensor is.
4) if you unscrew the sensor overnight and power the head FIRST, reading is immediate, upon screwing the sensor down.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Cumming , Georgia
TST TPMS Many of the AS Owners use TST, it reports PSI and Temp. It reports while stationary and when moving. We have Internal and External Sensors as well FT Sensors. Please feel free to contact me with any questions at 770-889-9102
Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST
mbenson1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Do it.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I have an older PressurePro system. Sensors screw onto the tire stem. Batteries not replaceable. But it works.

Detected a slow leak in a wheel once. I believe sudden blowouts are extremely rare, so a TPMS system is indispensible.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I have a system marketed as "Hawkshead" on the trailer that I have used for quite a few years, and I subsequently put the same system on our motorcycle.

The sensors screw onto the valve stems and the batteries are easily changed.

About the only thing that bothers me a little is that when you start out after leaving the vehicle parked over night, it can take up to 15 minutes of driving before the monitor links up with the sensors, so you have no protection during that time.

Apparently this is normal - not sure if other systems are the same.

It would also be nice if you could immediately check pressures before setting out on a trip, you cannot, but I always do a walk around anyway.

It will alert (flashing lights and beeping) and discriminate between slow leaks, blow outs, and also over pressure and excess temperature.

Never yet had a tire problem on the road to test out its effectiveness, but certainly if I loosen a sensor to let a little air out of a tire it alerts right away! I have had over pressure alarms a few times once the tires heat up if I put too much air in the tires in relation to the nominal pressure that I have set the system to monitor.

Brian.
Does this unit work fine without a booster ? This sounds like a unit I would like to have
shineybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
We use the TST system and it works flawlessly!
Best value out there as far as I'm concerned
Cheers
Doug

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 01-11-2016, 11:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have the Dill TPMS.
It was maybe $179 from Tirerack.com.
I'm sure there are others that work just as well in the price range.
Please do a Google search for Airforums TPMS and read all the threads on here related to the subject.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:17 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
San Angelo , Texas
I've been running PressurePro systems on two trailers for about 9 years. The original ones are still going although the stated battery lifetime is around 7 years. They do work. Gotten alerts on two different occasions when there was tire belt separation and the tires started leaking. (both times Goodyear M tires). They link up almost immediately when power is applied to the monitoring unit in the truck. In addition to the rolling safety, sure is a lot easier to check tire pressure before starting out. Don't leave home without a TPS of some type. Worth the money in peace of mind.
Jim A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #14
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
I have purchased and just coded a new TST TPMS and have not yet replaced the caps with the sensors but will be this week just for the peace of mind.
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:36 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Hi Brian-

Hope this isn't dumb, but can't you just check your tires pressures with a good hand held tire gauge before you take off? Since we don't use a monitoring system, it's certainly what we do. I also recently purchase an infrared thermometer at the suggestion of some folks here, and I'm curious to check that out after our first stop!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by shineybullet View Post
Does this unit work fine without a booster ? This sounds like a unit I would like to have
I bought the booster when I originally bought the TPMS because I thought that with our length of trailer and truck, the distance might be margnal.

But a couple times I have forgotten to turn the booster on and everything worked just as well, So I suppose it isn't really needed.

At the time of my purchase, the company offered to take the booster back if a customer found that they didn't need it. I decided to keep it anyway, assuming it would give me a stronger and more reliable signal.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 01-11-2016, 02:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
Hi Brian-

Hope this isn't dumb, but can't you just check your tires pressures with a good hand held tire gauge before you take off? Since we don't use a monitoring system, it's certainly what we do. I also recently purchase an infrared thermometer at the suggestion of some folks here, and I'm curious to check that out after our first stop!
Yes, of course, - just would be nice to be able to do it without having to remove the pressure sensors, and you lose a bit of pressure whenever you remove them. I just do a visual check and then I can read the actual pressures after a few minutes once the TPMS kicks in.

I also carry an IR thermometer, but rarely use it as the TPMS also gives temperature readings and I can check temps any time to see if all are similar. (It will alarm above a preset temp also.)

Interesting to see the "sun side" tires running a bit warmer than those in the shade!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 01-11-2016, 02:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Our Dill system took a while to sort out. Their tech support staff is pretty good.

They sent us a wifi booster system that included a magnetic antenna and a booster unit. The magnetic antenna is stuck to the underside of the water tank near the rear axle of the trailer. The antenna is linked by coax cable to the wifi booster mounted in the propane enclosure.

We went through two tire sensors early on. They are mounted inside the wheels like on current trucks and autos so a tire shop has to to the change out. Be sure to put one in your spare. Dill usually sends 6 sensors with the unit.

We've been trouble free for 6K miles. My only real complaint is that the readout is pretty dim and difficult to read at time.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
Hi Brian-

We don't use TPMs either, but have top quality tires (Michelin). We check the pressures in the morning of travel, and we do have an infrared thermometer we can use in hot weather. However, at a fuel stop I just walk around and put my hand on the tires, and wheels near the center, to see if any feel too warm. Yes, they are warmer on the sunny side.

Again, not a recommendation just our simple method. Never had a leaky valve stem except when we had the TPMS on our Safari 20; it was the reason for the valve stem leak.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The first year we had our trailer we were southbound on US 17 in South Carolina when a carful of nice folks pulled up next to us and told us we had a flat tire. Didn't feel anything different but pulled over and sure enough. Luckily no damage.

Wasn't carrying a spare. So, I pulled the bad tire off and we three-wheeled it to the nearest tire store.

Very shortly thereafter we got our Pressure Pro. And a spare tire.

The Pressure Pro sensors lasted 8 years, just installed new ones last Spring. Alerted us twice over the years in plenty of time to avoid damage.

I am notoriously cheap but I am really glad I have it.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote