Old 02-07-2016, 08:50 AM   #71
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
It isn't the "Peace of mind".. As the technology will not eliminate a problem with tires... It monitors critical parameters which can lead to potential issues.

It is a "tool" sending critical data. Depends on human perception of the data and proper action to resolve.

Since my AS tows so well, before the TST, I did not know a tire had "lost pressure" and the carnage as the tire shreds inflicted fairly disturbing problems to our AS.

YEWV (your experience will vary)

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:47 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The Dill TPMS system has a sender installed inside the tire with a metal valve stem coming out from the wheel. That takes care of the rubber valve stem failure issue. The complete piece is replaced when the internal battery quits in five plus years.

Since each units has a unique code associated with it, if one is replaced early one must get the same "letter" so the new one does not interfere with the older units.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:51 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Brigham City , Utah
AMEN to cwf!! Our TST has 'saved our bacon' several times and alerted us to an issue before it became a PROBLEM!
Old 02-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #74
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachHouse View Post
We have the TST system and are not totally thrilled with it. The sensors (ours are two years old) have tiny screws that hold the outer cover on (anti theft). These screws are not stainless so they have rusted and now the outer cover is breaking where the screws attach when taking it apart to change the batteries. The first receiver unit antenna broke after about a year and TST did replace it at no charge (out of warranty). Now the new receiver will not charge without me holding the connector to the unit (nothing is broken). I am quite sure TST will fix these issues. As others have said they have great customer service.

My real question here is about battery life. The batteries don't last a whole year. So invariably they go bad while traveling. So I am wondering about switching to an internal system with long life batteries that are supposed to last as long as the tires (I am hoping for a 6 or 7 year life out of our new 16" Michelins). What are member's experiences with these type of systems? Do the batteries really last 7 years? I understand the batteries in these are not replaceable so we would have to replace the sensors at that time. But really what electronics last longer than that anyway.
My experience. Not a full timer Use RV about 60 to 100 days a year.

Hella passenger car internal. 7 years and still working when I removed and sold the RV. This system is discontinued and will not work for most RV as it had 75 psi max rating.

TireTraker External 5 years and still ok with exception of one sender. Think this is sign of battery at end of life. Will replace all batteries this Spring.

General comment on battery life. As I understand it some sensors go to low power or "sleep" mode when no motion detected. Others may actually shut down. I think this along with the wide variety of RV usage is why some folks get many years service and others maybe only a year or two. I actually pull the batteries out of the sensors when I park the RV for the Winter. This may have been significant contributor to my long life (5 years) batteries.

With external sensors w/user replaceable batteries it's easy to simply have a spare battery in the parts box. You should get early warning of low battery with lost signal warning. I would just replace the battery at that point. I would think that after a few years use you should have a good feel for your battery life based on your usage.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:59 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Doran sensors are "on" whenever there is air pressure on the stem. I just unscrew them 3/4 turn when at a site and remove them when not in use.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:02 PM   #76
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Comment on "High Temperature" reading/warning

TPMS are primarily Low Pressure warning devices. A tire will not get to high temperature unless you have already lost pressure.
External sensors can not accurately read the temperature of the tire as the tire is hotter (5 to 20 F) than the air in the tire and the air in the tire is hotter (5 to 10F) than the external sensor is going to read due to cooling airflow outside the tire air chamber.

If you have a wheel bearing problem, it will be pretty bad before it can heat up the tire air chamber.

Bottom line: If you have properly loaded tire ( no more than 85% of it's max capability based on its inflation pressure) with no leak due to puncture or valve or valve core or wheel leak, you should have tire temperatures that run 10F to 30F above ambient with a max increase of 50F.
If you are seeing +50 you really need to look at the "why?" is is speed, unbalanced load or ???
Old 02-10-2016, 10:01 AM   #77
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1989 32' Excella
Cumming , Georgia
TPMS Systems

We sell more TPMS systems to Airstreamers than any other brand out there.
We are even carried by RICH AND BRETT IN THEIR ONLINE STORE.
We are TRUCK SYSTEMS TECHNOLOGY.
If you have questions about systems or need advise regarding tire safety please feel to contact me at airstreemer@gmail.com.
Will be glad to help!
Old 02-10-2016, 10:27 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
My TPMS (a Dill 1506) probably saved me from trailer damage Saturday. We hit some debris, probably from an accident, on the I-75S to I-285 ramp in NW Atlanta. About a mile later, the Dill went off and by the time I figured out what the noise was, the tire was down to 39 psi. I slowed down immediately and pulled off at the next exit. Tire remained intact, no damage to the trailer. Road hazard should cover the tire. I've been carrying a TrailerAid for two years and finally got to use it. Way better than jacking up the trailer.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:03 PM   #79
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post

If you have a wheel bearing problem, it will be pretty bad before it can heat up the tire air chamber.

Tireman9,

I'm running Dill and last fall my sensor did show one higher wheel temp than other 3 wheels.

Pulled over, checked and found a slightly higher brake drag was warming things up. It was a corrosion based drag, brake pad to caliper housing.

Fixed it in a nearby parking lot, on the road shortly after.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Installed TST

Just installed my TST 507 flow through. Easy to set up and seems to be working just right. Still probably a month away from our Spring shakedown, but I feel better with a TPMS on the trailer now.
Larry
Old 02-26-2016, 09:44 AM   #81
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Question for those that don't think a TPMS is worth having.

Would you be willing to tape over your TV oil pressure gauge? You can always check oil level before each trip.

How about the engine temperature gauge? Simply check coolant level before each trip.

Volt meter? Just check the alternator belt before each trip

Same question for the other gauges & warning lights.....
Old 02-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #82
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Question for those that don't think a TPMS is worth having.

Would you be willing to tape over your TV oil pressure gauge? You can always check oil level before each trip.

How about the engine temperature gauge? Simply check coolant level before each trip.

Volt meter? Just check the alternator belt before each trip

Same question for the other gauges & warning lights.....

That is a great comparison.

A TPMS is next on my list of necessities.

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

Blessed and highly favored

1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote