Old 01-11-2016, 08:47 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We don't use TPMs either, but have top quality tires (Michelin). We check the pressures in the morning of travel, and we do have an infrared thermometer we can use in hot weather. However, at a fuel stop I just walk around and put my hand on the tires, and wheels near the center, to see if any feel too warm. Yes, they are warmer on the sunny side.

Again, not a recommendation just our simple method. Never had a leaky valve stem except when we had the TPMS on our Safari 20; it was the reason for the valve stem leak.
Yep, I do all these things also, including the Michelins - I just believe that you can't do too much, and the TPMS is just another tool to help, hopefully!

Curious why the sensor caused the valve stem leak? defective? not tight enough?
rubber valve stem?

Things can always go wrong!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:25 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Brian asked "Curious why the sensor caused the valve stem leak? defective? not tight enough?
rubber valve stem?"

On our previous Airstream 20 I had one sensor that barely made contact inside the valve stem and kept giving us a false warning. With only one axle I would quickly pull to the side of the interstate, trucks/cars whizzing by, to get out and check for a flat.

It's been some years now, but I think I kept trying to adjust it (each time loosening/tightening the little locking screw on the side of it) and messed up the sensor gasket, so it leaked air. Was fed up with the gadget nature of the things, took them off and that's how we are today. Good tires, check things at fuel stops, one less device to distract from driving.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:39 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Now searching for TPMS. Picked up sheet metal screw on I-95 day before yesterday. Checked torque, tire pressure and condition before leaving camp. Trucker gestured that we should pull over after about a half hour on the road. Right rear curbside tire was just settling to the rim.

There are simply too many considerations to make a snap decision on which system to buy. Cost, flow-through, new valve stems, internal mount, service and support, cost (Yup! Twice!), battery replacement, service and support, etc. Oh! And we're on the road.

This should take a bit but if anybody has comments or recommendations please include why you chose the system you are using and what you like and/or dislike.
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:03 PM   #32
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We were recently on a trip when the port (driver side) stern tire on my TV (truck) was ruined.

As we travelled, we heard a noise.. like a rock being hit... within a few miles my wife noticed the tire sensor was alarming on the truck dash.. and dropping.. I pulled over and found the point of a large fence/deck screw, sticking out.. turns out it was over 3 inches long...

Yes.. and it as a MICHELIN!

Without the monitor, I might have not noticed until later...and that might not be so good...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:17 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Just pulled the trigger and bought the TST TPMS for our truck/trailer combination. Will comment on installation and performance later but first,

- this morning Beverly was very helpful with all my questions.

- this evening at about 7 PM Mike took my order with a two day delivery guarantee. We should have the system installed before we leave the campground.

Thanks to all for the many detailed comments.
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:46 PM   #34
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Mike has helped resolve several system issues professionally and usually within a few hours if the problem came up during the day.. But has also addressed problems after hours.. Clearly he has provided superior customer support.
(I have no interests in the TST company other than my ownership of one of their products)
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:54 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Brigham City , Utah
We have used TST on our current A/S and its two predecessor sisters, and it is on my current class 8 Kenworth tractor and Western flatbed and its predecessor brothers. For over 10 years this system has 'watched my bacon' and saved it many times! Readouts are realtime/ANYTIME. Most recently it notified us of a slow leak between Bishop CA and Ely NV (the middle of nowhere and no cell service), and we took the 1st pullout to put on the spare. Picked up a screw somewhere and tire was not repairable, BUT no damage to wheel or A\S. I have had similar experiences with the 'big truck' tires. A TPMS is a 'must have' for me.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:14 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Brian asked "Curious why the sensor caused the valve stem leak? defective? not tight enough?
rubber valve stem?"

On our previous Airstream 20 I had one sensor that barely made contact inside the valve stem and kept giving us a false warning. With only one axle I would quickly pull to the side of the interstate, trucks/cars whizzing by, to get out and check for a flat.

It's been some years now, but I think I kept trying to adjust it (each time loosening/tightening the little locking screw on the side of it) and messed up the sensor gasket, so it leaked air. Was fed up with the gadget nature of the things, took them off and that's how we are today. Good tires, check things at fuel stops, one less device to distract from driving.
Thanks Doug,

Mine also came with those little locking rings. I used them on the first couple of trips and found them fiddly things and thought "How likely is it that anyone is going to steal these things?"

So since then I have never used them.

I think if anyone would steal them it would most likely be just kids fooling around, and normally the trailer is not left in places where that is too likely to happen.

Our trailer does spend a lot of time in storage and during those times, I remove the coach batteries and also the TPMS sensors and keep them at home. Not so much that I think anyone would remove the sensors, but I like to check their batteries before each trip.

Incidentally, I found that the sensor batteries I need are quite expensive if bought locally They are not one of the common sizes available at dollar stores and at a local "Batteries Plus" store they wanted something like $6 or more each!

I found that I could buy several dozen for that price including free shipping from China over Ebay!

They work just fine, and the "Use buy" date is generally several years ahead. I'd be pretty sure the ones at the local store also come from China too!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:53 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
South Western Ontario , Ontario
I use the Dill TPMS because I wanted an internal sensor to avoid valve stem issues I experienced in the past. If you are going to replace the valve stems for a valve mounted TPMS, an internal one may be a good option. I don't carry a spare like many new cars these days. Dill internal TPMS helps warn you of temperature changes as well as pressure changes and I mave 16" LT Michelins so I hope to never need a spare. Dill has systems that can include your tow vehicle in one system if you don't have TPMS on it. As for monitoring a spare tire some systems won't be able to monitor wheels that are stationary. When I set up my system initially my trailer was up "on blocks" and it only took a few spins of the wheel to get them to communicate. The sensors "sleep" saving battery life when stationary. I think the sensors will last the life of my tires and will deal with the more difficult battery or sensor replacement at that time. Universal TPMS sensors are often less than $40 each and can be cloned for many systems and since Dill makes sensors for OEM this may be an option. My OEM internal TPMS sensors on my 2006 XLR only needed replacement this past year. I purchased my system from Tire Rack and it included the extra antenna which I used and mount inside my Tow vehicle near the rear. The small monitor mount antenna worked but lost signal to one wheel when I mounted the monitor low on my console.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:11 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Last fall I purchased the Tire Traker system TT-400. Right now they are on-sale for $189 which includes the shipping. I used it on a few trips and seemed to work fine without the optional booster.
It takes a few minutes to initially set up the system but it's not too bad.

TireTraker TPMS - LIFETIME WARRANTY
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:37 AM   #39
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
I have a post on my RV tire Safety blog on "What is the Best TPMS". I do not identify a brand as many people have different needs. I do however offer points that I, as a tire engineer feel should be considered when making a purchase.

TPMS is an important safety device. If you were shopping for a parachute would you consider initial cost the most important feature?
Old 01-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Good point. Price of safety equipment should never be the first consideration. Get the right safety equipment, worry about price later.

I needed an OSHA-Rated climbing harness one time. I reviewed specifications, checked durability and features, then made my selection based on that. Price was simply what I paid for it. Not even a serious consideration, since it's my life I'm protecting.

That same thinking should be applied here, IMHO.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:47 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I plan on purchasing new Michelin Defender Tires (15") when released in March then a TPMS. Thanks for all the info on this thread.
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:51 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Dill TPMS works well with the included external antenna.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote