Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2006, 03:09 PM   #21
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Most controllers will not actuate the brakes when backing. Prodigy does, but I have never pulled the umbilical to back in to my space. I certainly did not disconnect when I backed in just this morning. You will not have enough momentum when backing to cause the proportional controllers to supply any noticable amount of current to the brakes.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:12 PM   #22
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Someone with more experience than I will have to advise you on disconnecting the brakes.

However, after you do it a few times it gets a lot easier. It sure has for me. For the most part, I use my wife only to keep me from backing in too far and into something (don't tell her, I want her to feel useful). She complements me as I can now get within 6" of the right spot backing in on the blind side and only pulling forward once.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:24 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Brake release

I've got a Prodigy and seems like I remember that you can press and hold a button to temporarily disengage the brakes? I'll have to look at the cheat sheet when I get home...

As you can tell, I back without pressing this button but have felt some minor jerking (kinda the feeling you "might" get when backing into the utility post???)...

I think I'll start using the button!
B25guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:43 PM   #24
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B25guy
I've got a Prodigy and seems like I remember that you can press and hold a button to temporarily disengage the brakes? I'll have to look at the cheat sheet when I get home...

As you can tell, I back without pressing this button but have felt some minor jerking (kinda the feeling you "might" get when backing into the utility post???)...

I think I'll start using the button!
I have had 2 Prodigys and there hasn't been such a button on either one of them. In fact, one of the advertised features of the Prodigy is that the brakes work in reverse.

You could run the gain down to zero, but that would lose your gain setting.

Why would it matter anyway unless you are riding the brakes while backing?
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-10-2006, 04:05 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Reverse
When backing a trailer you can cancel
“BOOST” and “HOLD” for a period of three
minutes. This can be accomplished by pressing
the boost button continuously for five seconds
with the brake pedal depressed.

This from the prodigy instructions. I remembered someting like this for backing up, but not until I looked this up could I remember how to do it

Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:34 PM   #26
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Alan, I can tell you from recent experience the F250 don't turn on a dime. and a 31' trailer behind it will only make the turn bigger. Going down the road, and making big, sweeping turns, is not a problem, but the turn you are contemplating would be really tough. Wait until you have towed the trailer a few times before trying this turn. The last thing I would want is to hear how you emulated Robin Williams in this.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:31 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Backing up

One of easiest ways to back up into a space, is "always" back up to the left.

In that way, you will always have the back of the trailer in sight.

It also helps, at least until you become very experienced, to open the tow vehicle door and look at the rear of the trailer, as your backing up. DO NOT use a mirror, until you gain that experience.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:43 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Backing to the left is always my preference. Isn't it desirable to back up with the brakes activating so they will "self adjust"?
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:12 PM   #29
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
Backing to the left is always my preference. Isn't it desirable to back up with the brakes activating so they will "self adjust"?
I have never seen electric trailer brakes with self-adjusters.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:15 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
That's why I love forums - learn something new every minute.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:19 AM   #31
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Here's the scoop on the Prodigy: While backing a trailer you can cancel "BOOST" and "HOLD" for a period of three minutes. This can be accomplished by pressing the boost button continuously for five seconds with the brake pedal depressed. The display will indicate:

.r

Just for fun, I tried backing around some pecan trees and I found that putting the Prodigy in reverse mode and just using the truck brakes made for much smoother backing. I had an early 90s Voyager in my previous truck. It's nice the difference a smart controller makes over a dumb one.

I was also impressed at how sharply I could turn using the tow mirrors -- but I was in a big field with nothing but pecan trees all nice and evenly spaced.

We shall see this week. I'll be taking it out with the Dodge for the first time.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:03 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
AlanSD,

I thought the F250 had a built-in towcommand. That is the brake controller. This is standard in the new trucks with the tow package.

I am glad to know that it is easier to back with the brake controller off. I also have a prodigy and really like it so far. It has a lot of nice features.

Joe
Alumin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:11 PM   #33
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by defelice
AlanSD,I am glad to know that it is easier to back with the brake controller off. I also have a prodigy and really like it so far. It has a lot of nice features.

Joe
I'm totally baffled as to why anyone would turn the brakes off when backing unless they habitually ride the brake pedal. There will be no current to the brakes unless your foot is depressing the brake pedal enough to turn on the stop lights.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-12-2006, 01:51 PM   #34
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, John,

Well, it seems to be smoother and easier. I guees that my old system (and no, it's not about to fall apart) has some "slop" in it, and with the dual cam, it can be sort of jerky. I really think that deactivating the trailer brakes cuts down on the groaning and banging my dual cam does in slow manuevers. In fact, the NOISE it makes is the only thing I don't like about my Reese.

Somebody else may have a more technical reason, but that's how I see it.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:52 PM   #35
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeHarbor
Hi, John,

Well, it seems to be smoother and easier. I guees that my old system (and no, it's not about to fall apart) has some "slop" in it, and with the dual cam, it can be sort of jerky. I really think that deactivating the trailer brakes cuts down on the groaning and banging my dual cam does in slow manuevers.
Lamar
I still go back to the fact that unless you ride the brake pedal, the Prodigy (or any other controller) will never actuate the brakes, forward or backward.

BTW: I too have the dual cam and it does groan and bang occasionally, but not because of the brakes.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-12-2006, 02:54 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
When backing up even a slight "incline" a proportional controller will (can) apply voltage to the brakes.

I used to have the problem backing up a driveway with a Kelsey Hayes controller and had to unplug the plug to the trailer or the brkes would apply
I now have a Prodigy but don't have the same driveway. I don't think the Prodigy has a pendelem action so it would not be a problem.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:27 PM   #37
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi--I have a Powerstop model 500-PS controller which I originally installed 18-years ago, and have moved to 5 vehicles since. One of the control wires goes to the normally "Off" side of the back-up light switch, and prevents the trailer brakes from being activated when backing up. I thought all controllers were wired this way, but in reading this thread, I guess not. I saw one of these controllers in an RV supply store last year, so I guess they are still available.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote