Old 12-07-2002, 09:47 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
Pahaska:

I tried your method this morning to back the 27' Overlander into the Airstream-port. It worked great! I had been starting out on the opposite side of the street and was always finding myself turning too sharply to folllow the trailer into the slot.

To get into my Airstream-port I need to back between a telephone pole and its guy wire - not much leeway on either side. It usually leads to a stressful time. I find I do best by myself, providing I can get out and check things out often.

Thanks for the tip!

2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 02:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Carol always hooks up the truck to the trailer. We never use verbal instructions. I point in the direction that I want her to turn the wheel. She comes back slowly and most always gets on the ball with the first try.
I back the trailer in, its her job to watch the blind side and the rear. If I can't see her in the mirror then I don't move. The last back in is usually straight. A 34' takes sometime to react to the turning of the wheel so its slow and easy.

Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I had to revive this older thread...

My 31' trailer was delivered to my driveway and backed in. I then bought my long wheel base F 250, and so far have not yet towed it. I am fairly experienced at backing, as I used to drive a tow truck ( yeah in 1970's) , but my questions are

- coming out of the driveway I am entering a small street, not quite two full lanes, mailbox ( yikes) on the right, needing to make a right turn on a moderate uphill.
I could go left easier and turn around, but any advice on the right trun would be appreciated for my first attempt. I recall Robin Williams in RV taking out the stone wall on his first try....

- How do you disconnect the brakes for backing up? Unplug the umbilical or?
I do not yet have a brake controller if that is what controls this.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:49 PM   #18
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
I had to revive this older thread...

My 31' trailer was delivered to my driveway and backed in. I then bought my long wheel base F 250, and so far have not yet towed it. I am fairly experienced at backing, as I used to drive a tow truck ( yeah in 1970's) , but my questions are

- coming out of the driveway I am entering a small street, not quite two full lanes, mailbox ( yikes) on the right, needing to make a right turn on a moderate uphill.
I could go left easier and turn around, but any advice on the right trun would be appreciated for my first attempt. I recall Robin Williams in RV taking out the stone wall on his first try....

- How do you disconnect the brakes for backing up? Unplug the umbilical or?
I do not yet have a brake controller if that is what controls this.
You will have a challenge my friend. You might want to take a right turn before you get to the mail box and cut across the lawn. I have to back across my lawn because the mail box is on the right and there are shrubs on the immediate left of the driveway, but I am able to pull out of the drive way with my super crew short wheel base and 30' trailer and make my left turn. I have to pass my drive and back in from the right side of the drive way (opposite from my egress direction).

If driving across the lawn is not an option, you could swing to the left side of the driveway and cross to the far side of the street, if you can, watching the mail box very carefully. I am always afraid the tail will swing around and take out the mailbox on my way out and to the left.

As far as disconnecting the brakes, you can back with the umbilical cord disconnected. So far in my limited towing experience, I haven't thought to disconnect it and haven't had any problems.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:54 PM   #19
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Ok, #1-move the mailbox!

#2-why disconnect the embilical cord? I back with mine attached all the time with no problems. I would rather have the brakes on the trailer hooked up as not. However, I do unhook the sway bars as I was told that a tight turn could break them.

And #3 - SWING WIDE!!!!!
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
well it sound as if I will have to go left and then turn around in the cul de sac which is pretty big.
Backing in later will be as with my Moho , from the left side facing out, and very slowly.
Lawn driving is not an option. Curbs are too high.
Also what was mentioned in an above post about brakes being disconnected for backing is where I got that idea. Not necessary then??
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Most controllers will not actuate the brakes when backing. Prodigy does, but I have never pulled the umbilical to back in to my space. I certainly did not disconnect when I backed in just this morning. You will not have enough momentum when backing to cause the proportional controllers to supply any noticable amount of current to the brakes.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:12 PM   #22
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Someone with more experience than I will have to advise you on disconnecting the brakes.

However, after you do it a few times it gets a lot easier. It sure has for me. For the most part, I use my wife only to keep me from backing in too far and into something (don't tell her, I want her to feel useful). She complements me as I can now get within 6" of the right spot backing in on the blind side and only pulling forward once.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:24 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Brake release

I've got a Prodigy and seems like I remember that you can press and hold a button to temporarily disengage the brakes? I'll have to look at the cheat sheet when I get home...

As you can tell, I back without pressing this button but have felt some minor jerking (kinda the feeling you "might" get when backing into the utility post???)...

I think I'll start using the button!
Old 08-10-2006, 04:43 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by B25guy
I've got a Prodigy and seems like I remember that you can press and hold a button to temporarily disengage the brakes? I'll have to look at the cheat sheet when I get home...

As you can tell, I back without pressing this button but have felt some minor jerking (kinda the feeling you "might" get when backing into the utility post???)...

I think I'll start using the button!
I have had 2 Prodigys and there hasn't been such a button on either one of them. In fact, one of the advertised features of the Prodigy is that the brakes work in reverse.

You could run the gain down to zero, but that would lose your gain setting.

Why would it matter anyway unless you are riding the brakes while backing?
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:05 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Reverse
When backing a trailer you can cancel
“BOOST” and “HOLD” for a period of three
minutes. This can be accomplished by pressing
the boost button continuously for five seconds
with the brake pedal depressed.

This from the prodigy instructions. I remembered someting like this for backing up, but not until I looked this up could I remember how to do it

Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:34 PM   #26
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Alan, I can tell you from recent experience the F250 don't turn on a dime. and a 31' trailer behind it will only make the turn bigger. Going down the road, and making big, sweeping turns, is not a problem, but the turn you are contemplating would be really tough. Wait until you have towed the trailer a few times before trying this turn. The last thing I would want is to hear how you emulated Robin Williams in this.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:31 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Backing up

One of easiest ways to back up into a space, is "always" back up to the left.

In that way, you will always have the back of the trailer in sight.

It also helps, at least until you become very experienced, to open the tow vehicle door and look at the rear of the trailer, as your backing up. DO NOT use a mirror, until you gain that experience.

Andy
Old 08-10-2006, 07:43 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Backing to the left is always my preference. Isn't it desirable to back up with the brakes activating so they will "self adjust"?

peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote