Old 08-27-2007, 11:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Being somewhat particular seasoned border crosses and recently MI wannabeessssss!!!

The LadyB, MoonBeam and of course the Overlander too....Peter and the two Girly dogs - have made several trips out of Canada to the US and touch wood back into Canada fairly unscathed each crossing....

The best advice we can give you all from both sides - is (I know it is even hard for me!!!) LEAVE THE HUMOUR PARKED!!!! and Have ALL the papers you can possibly think of up to date and handy - you will never never know what the flavour of the day is on either side nor at ANY of the border crossings.

We have had really easy going officials on BOTH sides and in like fashion really strict and no NONSENSE officials on BOTH sides....

Besides all the great advice above and in many other threads thing that is missing - know your TV license plate AND your Trailer Plate - just ask Marvin what happens if you don't - tee hee spot check!!!

Keep all documents for your vehicle, trailer MOHO, Toad, health, and other insurance - as well as PETS - and not just the vaccination - but health clearances and possibly proof of "citizenship"!!!! this is no joke!!

This crossing we had both girls with us Taz and Haily - on the way in to the US we were asked a very serious question of their nationality! then we were asked to shut off our engine and hand over the trailer keys.....(and for those going southbound - our last two crossings at Port Huron have taken over 2 hours from the last exit to the otherside so make sure your vehicle fluids are topped up and your own are emptied

On our return just a few hours ago - we had a record 5 minute crossing. (So it does happen ) But in all seriousness - there must be an issue going on with the canines and their documentation - as we were asked for ALL documents including registration for our Trailer and the Girls health and vaccine records. I had a re-print of Taz's health certificate because I had missplaced her original - and I was questioned as to why the date was crossed off and the original issue date indictated on the paper.....

Moral of the story - BE PREPARED with documentation things will go very smoothly....

Anyone a little apprehensive - you have no need to be - hide nothing and disclose everything you are asked.....

PS on the shopping end of things - we just find it so much easier to not cross with anything but snacks and pop for our road trip - a quick shopping trip on either side will save the possiblity of having uncessary delays - with having to discard items you have just bought.

Everything will be alright in the end. If it is not alright now, then it is not the end.
GT1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
We went from Ohio to Halifax, NS a few summers back and besides all of what you have read already, the oddest thing was at the border crossing in Calais, ME, the Canadian customs people confiscated our POTATOES. We could keep the carrots, onions, celery, meat, but they wanted our Idahos - and when we got to the campground, we couldn't find any CANADIAN potatoes so our steak dinner was sans baked potatoes. I almost ate the sour cream by itself (which I used to do when I was a kid).

Have a great trip!

Steve & Susan
WBCCI# 03876
AIR# 6511
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:08 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

We plan to visit Canada later this year, and it's been quite awhile since we've been there, so all the information and advice here is great and timely. The last time was to a police convention in Toronto in 2001. The conventions are always in interesting places, so I like to combine it with a mini vacation, and wander around a bit on the way home (pulling the AS through Miami Beach a few years ago was a blast).

The Canadian trip was shortly after 9/11, and security on both sides was rumored to be very tight. We did our research on how to cross smoothly, and followed the advice about being courteous and respectful, no joking, no weapons. etc. Consequently, both crossings were easy, and when the guard at the Canadian border found out where we where going she even joked with me about not being able to follow the rules (I pulled up too close to the car in front of me), and then asked me if I was sure I wasn't packing. On the way back, there were rumors of long lines and waits, but when we got there, there was only one or two cars ahead of us. After seeing the car in front of us very thoroughly searched, we had all documents and receipts ready. After the guard asked where we had been, he just waved us through and wished us a safe journey.
2005 Bambi
1968 Trade Wind
2007 Ford F250 4x4 Crew
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:20 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Don't let concerns of border crossing stop you from coming

This all sounds so complicated and difficult, and it really is not. Do come to Canada. You will love it. We have incredible beauty here and we are no different than you, eh?

Don't let Customs concerns hold you back - it is not much different than hitting construction - it slows you down for a bit, you have to answer a few questions honestly and seriously, and it can be a bit of inconvenience, but that's all part of the trip.

We cross the border all the time as do our friends and having to go through the usual questions and possible line ups is just life. Once across we have a lot of fun, and we realize that the people at US and Canada Customs are just doing their job. They are used to people who aren't quite prepared for all the questions and for 99.99% of the time I believe they are extremely tolerant and courteous.

If you watch the border crossing wait times on the internet for the ones you intend to use you will get a feel for the best times to plan your crossing.

Need any more information? We want you to come see our part of the world, it is incredible.

Barry & Donna
Life is short - so is the door on a '51 Flying Cloud (ouch)
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:26 AM   #19
We can tow it!
1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Great thread very helpful thanks for posting!

Originally Posted by safari57
Coming back don't even think about bringing Canadian fruits and vegetables with you. It's just not worth the hassle and I'm told if it has a US sticker on it (WA apples comes to mind) that they are pretty forgiving but why even go through the hassle Barry
That's a bummer but thanks for the info! We used to bring the best produce home from Leamington, guess when we go to visit Pt Pelee National Park we'll have to eat it all before we leave!

Steph in MI Air# 6996-
I Hockeytown USA!!
tin sista is offline   Reply With Quote