Old 03-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefawn View Post
I mentioned this another thread, but it is relevant here too. We took out the center console of our F250 crew cab (very easy to remove) and used shallow foam to plug the divet left by its removal. We keep a tri-folded dog comforter where the console was and our large standard poodle rides between us. He stands at attention a lot, watching the road ahead, and can sleep between us too. Our toy poodle rides in the lap of whoever rides shotgun. They both go with us whenever possible, but we have left them at the campground with AC going AND windows cracked, vents open. We always try to find shade for parking the camper and/or the truck. I don't miss the console. I love the open and spacious feeling in the cab, and so does Rex the Standard... We simply won't travel without them. We sold the nicest camper we ever owned-- a 2002 Lance pickup camper with every amenity because Rex just did not fit in it well. We sometimes leave a sign on the door of our trailer with our cell phone numbers in case there is an emergency, if we know we will be gone more than a couple hours.

Kathy

I discourage people from driving with any animals insecure in the front seat... passenger or driver. If anything goes wrong, they are going to get launched into your face if the airbag goes off, or go flying onto or under the dash if you have to stop suddenly... causing a further loss of control.

Train your dog to either ride in a kennel, or sit in the back... preferably with a harness and seatbelt on.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #16
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
I discourage people from driving with any animals insecure in the front seat... passenger or driver. If anything goes wrong, they are going to get launched into your face if the airbag goes off, or go flying onto or under the dash if you have to stop suddenly... causing a further loss of control.

Train your dog to either ride in a kennel, or sit in the back... preferably with a harness and seatbelt on.
X2

Years ago...had a minor fender bender with our Old English Sheepdog loose in the back of our Blazer, ruined his confidence in traveling with us. Never again would get in the truck on his own and on long trips often got very sick, wouldn't eat and needed to be sedated....not a fun experience at all.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
X2

Years ago...had a minor fender bender with our Old English Sheepdog loose in the back of our Blazer, ruined his confidence in traveling with us. Never again would get in the truck on his own and on long trips often got very sick, wouldn't eat and needed to be sedated....not a fun experience at all.

Bob
Wow.

Lily is determined, at 45lb, that she is a lap dog.

Her very favorite spot in the Interstate is laying across my lap. This started on our first trip home, after finding her in Louisiana in 2010, when she sprang over the storage ottoman between the driver and passenger seat, licked my face vigorously (look what I can do!) and settled into my lap.

She likes to be close, my arms are always laying across and/or around her. Happy doggie. Don't know that I could harness her in the back. She'd be safer, just miserable.

There are items in the floor space between our seats, that have nowhere else to go---toolbag, small DO, etc. We have thought about having someone make us an elevated platform that had the storage space below and a daybed for Lily above, for my comfort. Having her in my lap in hot weather is like having a bear rug draped across me

Maggie
Old 03-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Springfield , Illinois
I travel quite a bit with my 95# lab "puppy". Always in the bed of the truck or now behind the drivers seat in my extended cab. If we are staying in a motel while goose hunting he usually gets an invite to stay at the front desk all night to keep the clerk company, and I have to say no, so he doesnt find a new home. From spring until fall we spend the weekends on the lake fishing and whatever needs to get done. I am lucky enough that he goes to work with me daily and keeps the girls in the office company. Pretty bad when I admit he is my best friend. I am not sure how a person can become so attached, but let me assure you, you do. I did not cry when I lost my dad, but bawled like a baby when I had to put my last buddy down. Took me 2 years to put his picture on the wall that I had taken.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverrat6270 View Post
I travel quite a bit with my 95# lab "puppy". Always in the bed of the truck or now behind the drivers seat in my extended cab. If we are staying in a motel while goose hunting he usually gets an invite to stay at the front desk all night to keep the clerk company, and I have to say no, so he doesnt find a new home. From spring until fall we spend the weekends on the lake fishing and whatever needs to get done. I am lucky enough that he goes to work with me daily and keeps the girls in the office company. Pretty bad when I admit he is my best friend. I am not sure how a person can become so attached, but let me assure you, you do. I did not cry when I lost my dad, but bawled like a baby when I had to put my last buddy down. Took me 2 years to put his picture on the wall that I had taken.
Yep, there's something about the dogs!

Being a mother, grandmother, cuddler and caregiver-at-heart, I have personally decided that it is the perpetual toddler state of dogs.

Unlike human children , dogs never grow beyond that 2-3 year old toddler stage where they love, adore and worship you unconditionally. They want to please you and to be loved, cared for, fed, watered, etc., in return. That's all they want and it never changes. They don't grow older and out of it.

Human children, on the other hand, going through their various and of course necessary developmental stages, become defiant, independent, rebellious, talk back, etc., and don't give a damn what you think. They grow up and establish their own lives.

Parents and grandparents adjust what they give, how they love and their expectations of what they are going to receive, accordingly. Children's needs change as they grow up and those around them make the adjustments to help them.

Love, love, love those children and grandbabies, but there is just something about a dog you can't get anywhere else.

Don't ya' think??

Maggie
Old 03-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
Dahlonega , Georgia
I feel very "reassured" by all of your comments. Thanks so much!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #21

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
We always take our Labs with us on shorter trips and for long ones we have a house sitter take care of them (my other half's rule not mine) but they love to go camping! They get the dinette for a bed and have lots of room for sleeping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3615454328.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	426.6 KB
ID:	153159  

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote