Old 06-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
The best is headphones. My excuse it the 4 kid, with a 9,6, and 2 year old twins there is a lot of noise in the SUV. and yelling(not only me) I say, I need to concentrate on driving and can't with all the noise. So the music and headphones work great.

Than the wife puts on a movie for the kids and we get to talk I don't mind talking sometimes but I love to drive with music on.

Then one time she pulled out a book called "Love and Logic" how to deal with your kids and started reading it to me. What the heck, I'm driving. I don't need a book to tell me how to yell at my kids I do that just fine

Yep driving 8 hours with 4 kids and a wife can drive you

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thousand Oaks , California
I'm cool with Mrs SoCal, because I have a 45% hearing loss in my right ear. All I have to do is turn to her every one in while and say "Huh?"

Old 06-13-2012, 05:20 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Drive View Post
I'm cool with Mrs SoCal, because I have a 45% hearing loss in my right ear. All I have to do is turn to her every one in while and say "Huh?"
Also a great way to get out of jury duty. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #32
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
You guys are terrible.

Tin Hut, do you mean fussy or just chatty? Big difference.

Either way, (ahem) if it takes one to know one....

1. Plan a trip to a non-English speaking destination like Quebec or Mexico for 2013. Buy her some French or Spanish language CDs plus a head set, that she can listen to during your next excursions. Explain that she will have to navigate with foreign road maps and highway signs, speak to the locals in their language, and so on, during this upcoming dream vacation. (Only problem is, you may actually have to visit this destination. It's not nice to lie, even to a fussy woman.)

2. Say, "Sorry dear-- I didn't catch what you said. I was busy listening to secret messages from the CIA via my dental fillings."

3. Give her your Airstream manual. The big one from the dealership is totally incomprehensible to anyone who isn't a ticketed electrician or engineering graduate. Invent a problem with your Airstream and say how serious it is. Ask her to look up the whosie-whats-it to the thingamabob and explain to you how the circuitry (or somesuch) works. This should be good for a few hours of silent concentration.

4. Invite her best friend on your next trip. You're off the hook, conversation-wise.

OMG. How I do run on .
Old 06-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #33
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I have some problems with your suggestions.

1: I don't like it when she is talking to someone in a language that I can't understand. (Probably my CIA background)

2: You may get charged for distracted driving if you are caught listening to your dental fillings while driving.

3: Who the devil owns an Airstream and has to "invent a problem"?

4: That best friend idea needs some more thought.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
You guys are terrible.

Tin Hut, do you mean fussy or just chatty? Big difference.

Either way, (ahem) if it takes one to know one....

1. Plan a trip to a non-English speaking destination like Quebec or Mexico for 2013. Buy her some French or Spanish language CDs plus a head set, that she can listen to during your next excursions. Explain that she will have to navigate with foreign road maps and highway signs, speak to the locals in their language, and so on, during this upcoming dream vacation. (Only problem is, you may actually have to visit this destination. It's not nice to lie, even to a fussy woman.)

2. Say, "Sorry dear-- I didn't catch what you said. I was busy listening to secret messages from the CIA via my dental fillings."

3. Give her your Airstream manual. The big one from the dealership is totally incomprehensible to anyone who isn't a ticketed electrician or engineering graduate. Invent a problem with your Airstream and say how serious it is. Ask her to look up the whosie-whats-it to the thingamabob and explain to you how the circuitry (or somesuch) works. This should be good for a few hours of silent concentration.

4. Invite her best friend on your next trip. You're off the hook, conversation-wise.

OMG. How I do run on .
Old 06-17-2012, 12:06 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
You could always "Mitt Romney" her; put her on the roof....
Old 06-17-2012, 01:19 AM   #35
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I think I've seen her on these forums once in a while. Maybe she'll drop in.

How about some in flight entertainment? You think she'd go for a DVD movie on a small player, or even a book? Can she chat with her mother on the cell phone? Magazines of some type? Pictures? Video? Eating and chewing. Something must hold her interest. Just anything to buy a little time.

That fails, and perhaps a motorhome could be your future where she could potentially be 40 ft to the rear.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:22 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
When we are destination travelling my wife likes to read, write and edit briefs and other documents and sometimes just sleeps. I just stay quiet. It used to make me crazy that she wouldn't get excited about the scenery like I would, but oh well. I have made an attempt to get her to leave work behind and that is working out badly. We do bring cell phones, computers etc with us though and I'd like this to stop as well. She will not use the vacation reply on her phone which annoys me, so sometimes I just lose her phone and find it the next day. Bwahahahaha. Or maybe even two days later, I know this just annoys the hell out of her, but oh well.

Dan
Old 06-17-2012, 04:50 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
You guys are terrible.

OMG. How I do run on .
48 years ago: good idea. NOw, not so much. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Daphne , Alabama
Is it the truck or something else?

We just replaced our aging TV with a new 2012 Chevy Silverado Duramax. With less than 4,000 miles, I discovered a couple of problems.

I don't understand it, but when I go above 65 on the interstate, I hear a whining noise coming from the passenger seat. Also, when I go around a turn too fast, I feel a sharp THUMP on the side of my head.

Somehow, I don't think that the Chevy service department can fix this.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
I have some problems with your suggestions.

1: I don't like it when she is talking to someone in a language that I can't understand. (Probably my CIA background)

Dave
Dave, you should not let your neighbors in BC know that you are spying on them. Remember, to fit in, wear a plaid shirt, wool cap, carry an ax to cut down trees, and say "eh" at the end of each sentence. The Canadians fall for that every time.

Gene
Old 06-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #40
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I pretty much follow those guidlines Gene, but have replaced the axe with a BB PLAYBOOK eh. BlackBerry - PlayBook - New BlackBerry PlayBook 2 Tablet - Canada

The BB gets me through the language barrier in Quebec OK, but I have not solved the conversation barrier when we get to Newfoundland.
How to %(*& did you manage to converse with the locals when on THE ISLAND?
Now that would be a challenge for any navigator to learn that Newfie language. http://www.joebattsarm.ca/phrases.htm

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Dave, you should not let your neighbors in BC know that you are spying on them. Remember, to fit in, wear a plaid shirt, wool cap, carry an ax to cut down trees, and say "eh" at the end of each sentence. The Canadians fall for that every time.

Gene
Old 06-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Dave, I found the best way to get along in Newfoundland was to (1) ask them to talk slower, and (2) agree with them (they really like that).

Gene
Old 06-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #42
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Gentlemen, I am shocked... shocked... that nobody is sticking up for the ladies. (Jeanne here. Len is off to watch European soccer at a friend's.) We don't have this conversation problem. Len is a retired prof., so I often feel like a captive classroom of one.)

The OPer Tin Hut appears to be the Strong, Silent Type. He hasn't responded to any of our suggestions. We all know guys who are Men of Few Words, and these words do not include "Good morning," or "Happy birthday." Maybe his travelling companion deserves praise for holding up her end of mere normal conversation. (Including, but not limited to, "No-- I can't wait until the next rest area in 89 miles;" or "Honey, do you see that moose charging at us, in the middle of the road?"

I mean, maybe TH could just brush up on his verbal skills. Take a college course on elocution or debate. He could join Toastmasters. Listen to the sound-track of "Brush up your Shakespeare" from the musical, Kiss Me Kate. Or let her drive while he reads a book like, How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks for Big Success in Relationships.

Failing that, maybe the courteous thing to do would be for TH to start munching on throat lozenges and plead laryngitis. While he turns up the CD volume for Kiss Me Kate.