Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2015, 07:50 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
All Interstate Highways were designed to the same parameters, with grades as gentle as possible, and generally less than other highways. Your Sequoia should be fine even if it has to downshift here and there. And on downgrades you can intentionally downshift to let engine braking save the trailer brakes from over-working.

Just let go, and GO !!!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:57 PM   #42
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
For those taking the southern route using I 287 - I 78 and onto I 81 I use it all the time and suggest that when leaving New Jersey on I 78 you cross into Pennsylvania and there is a toll plaza there. IF and only IF you use EZ-Pass DO NOT use the high speed lane at this toll. I have found that when using the high speed lane EZ-Pass will charge you the commercial tractor-trailer rate ( I think it's $16.00). If you go through the plaza lane
EZ-Pass you will be assessed the correct amount ( I think $3) for a 4 axel combination. This is the only location that I have found this happening and it did it to me 3 times before I figured this out. If you have used this high speed lane check your EZ account to make sure the charge was assessed correctly. I use this route every chance I can to avoid the Baltimore / DC congestion. As an added bonus there's a Cabela's store at the Hamburg, Pa exit. It makes a great pit stop.

Enjoy your travels. See ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:27 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Virginia Beach , Virginia
if you do come down the Eastern Shore of VA - RT13 - and the CBBT into Virginia Beach...there is a great State Park on the Chesapeake Bay about 5 miles from where you land in VaB - First Landing State Park - Pick a site on the Bay side of the Park, away from RT 60 (Shore Drive). Go East on Rt 60 (Shore Drive) at the first exit...Have a great trip...Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday to All.....Andy
Crabpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:55 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
Ok, so:

1. take 695 around Baltimore (propane restrictions in tunnel)

2. Take 495 around DC.

3. Take 295 around Richmond

After that, I recall it being pretty easy. Sound about right?

Q: do I go 495 west or east (left or right side of DC when looking at the map) ?

Maryland websites says propane ok if you have 10lbs or less per cylinder? Up to 10 cylinders?
I drive 495 almost every day in my job. 495 West is in much better shape (potholes, etc.) as compared to 495 East in MD, but sometimes heavier traffic, and a bit longer distance. When you get come around 695 to get on 95S turn on 103.5FM, D.C. traffic updates every 10 minutes on the "8's" and usually pretty accurate and use that to decide West or East. Don't try it at rush hour which is 6-11am or 3-7pm. If you can do it on the weekend that is what I would recommend!
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:14 AM   #45
1973 Dodge Cayo Motovator

Vintage Kin Owner
Dahlonega , Georgia
If, for any reason one is traveling I75 through Atlanta, do not use the bypass, but go through the city, unless on a weekday 7-9 AM, 4-6 PM. Then just stop for dinner/breakfast until traffic clears. The downtown I75 is 7 lanes each way, whereas the 285 bypass is 2 lanes and has 18 wheelers. 18 wheelers are not allowed through downtown (unless making a delivery). Makes for a easier ride, little to no speed enforcement, esp on bypass, so be careful!. Been here 15 years, almost never use I285. Local radio has traffic updates every 6 minutes.
Dave
Outbackga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:28 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
[snip]
If you go through the plaza lane EZ-Pass you will be assessed the correct amount (I think $3) for a 4 axle combination.
[snip]
Did you get a separate EZ Pass for your trailer? I see on their site that this is possible, but I have not done so yet.

When I picked up our new trailer from the dealer, and went through a toll booth in the Cash Lane recently, the attendant let me through without having to pay extra cash for my one-axle trailer, commenting that my tow vehicle EZ Pass covered it. Was she just being nice because the 20' trailer is relatively small? [My tow vehicle is a regular wheelbase full-sized Ford Transit passenger van.]

I did not check my bill, but will now that you have mentioned it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Peter
Old 12-18-2015, 06:14 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
hellertown , Pennsylvania
I use I81S more then a couple of times, the only thing is, it is 75 mph at times and i just do not go that fast. I travel at 60-65 mph and stay to right, gets a little nervy when i have to be in Left lanes to catch a direction change but most of the time it is 2 lanes in , but i don`t know that till i am there. Carl
carlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:21 AM   #48
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I do not have a special EZ-Pass for the trailer combination. It is the standard one and they count the axles. The toll collector was not just being nice. Depending on what tow vehicle you have ( I have a 1t pickup). In Pennsylvania the class I cutoff weight is
7200# ( I think). If you exceed that and become a class II we will pay the higher toll all the time due to our weight BUT that class will include 4 axels. Therefore there is no additional charge for the extra axels. I've never checked how other states do it but that's what happens in PA. When I travel the New York Thruway as well as the NJ turnpike with the truck alone I get charged regular passenger rates and they add the axels if towing.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 12-18-2015, 09:44 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Roger.

Peter
Old 12-18-2015, 12:07 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Greensboro , North Carolina
If you happen to choose I95 though NC, Medoc Mountain SP is a nice state campground about 10 mi west of the interstate between Roanoke Rapids and Rocky Mount. We tent camped there over the Thanksgiving weekend and the place was almost empty. About half of the sites have electricity, there is a dump station, and the bath house is very nice.

With that said, having lived in the DC area twice, I would avoid I95 at all cost. The traffic is insane and the road is very rough. I81 is a much better choice, although you may have to deal with heavy truck traffic. When traveling to FL we go cross country to Florence SC to reduce time on I95 and to avoid Atlanta.

Safe travels!
NC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:42 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
[snip]
When I travel the New York Thruway as well as the NJ turnpike with the truck alone I get charged regular passenger rates and they add the axles if towing.
FYI Roger -- According to this EZ Pass application, a passenger vehicle towing a 1-2 axle trailer is in a different class, and the combo should use its own EZPass:

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/ta-w68176.pdf

In my case, with a passenger van (low roof) towing a 1-Axle trailer, the combo would be in Class 3L The next class 4L would apply for a 2-Axle trailer.

Maybe the automatic lanes (including the high speed ones) automatically sense the trailer and charge extra for it? I am guessing the toll attendant I met was simply being nice or did not want to deal with the jump up in toll for my 1-Axle trailer. Or she may have added the extra toll on to my account without me realizing that, I guess. [something like $0.40 for the crossing I was on -- the GWB as I recall]

I guess I will apply for the separate EZPass, as it would be a drag to get pulled over -- perhaps in another state -- by a strict constructionist law enforcement officer and end up with a "must appear" ticket.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:49 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Having previously lived in Richmond, and now in the DC/NoVa area, a couple of notes re the regional options; and a generalised opinion overall:

Circumventing DC/Baltimore to the West -- I-81 route-around option:
I-81 circumventing Baltimore and DC, with a reconnect to I-95 via transit by I-64 at Charlottesville to Richmond is a solid viable option. Be aware I-81 is a major trucking route, and often at the highway rest areas, you may be lucky to obtain a space. If you have confidence issues re driving with trucks, be aware - but all in all, with numerous hills, a pleasant ride.
Circumventing DC (not Baltimore) to the east -- 301 from Maryland, east of DC, connecting to I95S north of Richmond. Someone has mentioned this, but I would note two things - there's now a fair amount of stoplight activity on the Maryland side, and the Virginia side can be aggressively speed controlled (I got a ticket for doing 57 in a 55 zone here more than once {there's a large sign that reads "limit means limit").) Finally, the Potomac River bridge @301 nearly always has significant cross-wind issues. I've driven the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel during high wind advisories with no concerns, and I personally avoid the 301 bridge if I can.
Circumventing DC/Baltimore to the far east -- Eastern shore, ferries, bridge-tunnel -- you just need to be confident in being able to look in your side view mirrors and see your Airstream several inches from a tunnel wall at 55 mph for an extended period of time. Just know that if you're traveling in a straight line and your mirrors (if correctly installed) clear, the trailer clears as well and trust in that. Oh - and no rest areas, so be aware you may need to jump off a few exits in a row to find a sizable enough parking lot to stop for food and toilet breaks.

Personally, I just drive I-95 as is, with beltways at each city used. If the limit is 55 or 60, I tend to drive at that speed; but then lock it to 60 if the limit goes up to 65 or 70. I'll just set myself into the right lane, and keep it steady and let everyone else pass me and generally see no issue in traffic as a result. I think the I95 rest areas are superior to I81 in terms of space available - and spaced well enough that if traffic becomes a concern, its easy enough to stop and rest an hour or two.

Hope all goes well for you,

Ian
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:11 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Oh how I wish this thread had been here before we picked up our AS and towed it back to South Florida from Colonial. We made it okay, but it was not stress free, and we ran into some serious traffic delays.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:49 AM   #54
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Tips for towing on I-95 NJ to FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackga View Post
If, for any reason one is traveling I75 through Atlanta, do not use the bypass, but go through the city, unless on a weekday 7-9 AM, 4-6 PM. Then just stop for dinner/breakfast until traffic clears. The downtown I75 is 7 lanes each way, whereas the 285 bypass is 2 lanes and has 18 wheelers. 18 wheelers are not allowed through downtown (unless making a delivery). Makes for a easier ride, little to no speed enforcement, esp on bypass, so be careful!. Been here 15 years, almost never use I285. Local radio has traffic updates every 6 minutes.
Dave
I'm curious, could you clarify perhaps where exactly the Perimeter is down to 2 lanes around Atlanta? I've not seen that.

I lived in Buckhead for two years, from 2011 to 2013. I always suggested to travelers that they look on Google Maps for current traffic conditions in/around Atlanta, then make a decision accordingly.

Going through town can indeed be a good idea, but I'm not really sure I would do that, towing an Airstream at 65 mph unless you knew where you were going. I generally kept up with traffic in my BMW M3, but it was close lol.

The 285, either East or West, I found, can be a very viable choice, traffic depending. I never saw anywhere it was down to 2 lanes (more like 4), myself. YMMV, of course.

Rich
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:04 AM   #55
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
OTRA15, I believe you are correct in your reading of the EZ-Pass application. My truck is a 1 ton and weighs in at roughly 8200 # empty. The passenger vehicle, class I covers non-commercial use single rear wheeled vehicles up to 7200# ( in Penna). Cross over that weight or have dual rear wheels and we become the class II ( commercial or not ) and therefore pay the higher class toll and are covered with up to 4 axels. With the exception of the crossing at Rt.78 into Penna ( high speed lanes only), where they charge me incorrect amounts, I have always been assessed the tolls correctly by the axel count.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 12-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #56
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hi OTRA15. I'm sorry but I neglected to include that Pennsylvania is in a class by itself regarding the tolls on the PA turnpike. So far as I know it is the only highway that uses a scale at each & every toll plaza to assess the correct toll. That is why they hit my truck for the higher class II tolls. They know the weight and get us on that. All the other roads will charge me passenger vehicle rate unless they catch the axel count and up me to class II.

Catch you on the road sometime. Merry Christmas to all

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 12-27-2015, 03:27 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

Just passed an apparently abandon Airstream under a bridge by a river as seen via rt 301 south in Weldon North Carolina. Anyone seen this ?
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote