Old 12-16-2015, 08:10 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

I have travel the eastern shore via the Cape May-Lewes ferry four times this summer and fall and it was a much more enjoyable ride than 95. It does not really take much more time, the ferry is a nice break from driving and the kids will think it is cool! I am doing a similar trip as you, going to West Palm Beach on the 26th and will definitely NOT be driving thru Phiilly or DC! I hate sitting in traffic but even worse is a rough ride for my rig. Safe travels!

"Now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare".
🌎

Old 12-16-2015, 08:12 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
If planning a stop near Savannah, we like Skidaway Island State Park. It is a ways off of 95 but has well spaced sites in a hammock, some with sewer.

Al

Yep, that is where we are staying on our trip south!

"Now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare".
🌎

Old 12-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
NJ to FL

If you need to spend the night around Brunswick, GA there is a nice campground with full hookups with easy on and off to 95. It is Coastal Georgia RV Resort.
http://www.goodsamclub.com/travel/ca...cgid=290001035
Very new and very clean with some of the nicest bathrooms ever. There is also a nice TA truck stop conveniently located at the exit to the campground.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

To me it's a trade off

I like the 78 W to 81 S route…no tolls except a few bucks leaving Jersey, very scenic, less exits to watch for,no restrictions to deal with, but it's hilly, and maybe a bit longer.

95 S, is flatter. Less fluctuations with the speed of the the big trucks
Old 12-17-2015, 04:29 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
When there's propane restrictions, what do you do with the tanks? Place them in the trailer or travel without them?

I would think placing them inside the trailer would be more dangerous than leaving them mounted on the trailer.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:41 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
OTRA: when you say propane off, do you mean turned off, or physically off of the trailer? Sorry I'm dense
Old 12-17-2015, 05:15 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
OTRA: when you say propane off, do you mean turned off, or physically off of the trailer? Sorry I'm dense
The propane tanks' main valves should be turned off at the tanks for the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, but the tanks can remain in place as secured by the OEM hold-downs, I believe:

CBBT Compressed Gas Regulations

For other crossings with stricter regs (like the Baltimore tunnels), I believe that you technically are able to travel with EMPTY propane tanks, and I have seen large signs in the front windshields of tow vehicles, reading "Propane Tanks Empty" or something like that. Not certain if local permits are in theory required for this, or whether the tanks are required to be removed.

Around NYC, when film companies use large RV-like studios and dressing rooms for the cast and crew, the front windshields often have signs that read "No Propane On Board" etc., thus permitting use of various tunnels and both levels of bridges. Not sure if there are also local permits required for these situations.

FYI here are the CBBT tolls -- $22 for TV and 2-axle trailer -- pretty cheap IMO if you think about building a similar structure!

http://www.cbbt.com/wp-content/uploa...eFINAL2014.pdf

Edit -- the $22 may only apply to certain tow vehicles using EZ Pass for both the TV and the trailer. Higher rates are in the lower lines. TBD
Old 12-17-2015, 05:42 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
When you exit the CBBT you need to be prepared for the fact that you will suddenly be in urban traffic again in Virginia Beach, which I found a bit startling after the relaxing drive down the Eastern Shore.

It's been a while but I think you will be on Route 13 southbound, and want to get on I-64 south briefly, then to I-264 westbound, which becomes Route 58 heading west, assuming you want to get over to I-95 at Emporia VA. There are more scenic routes south, staying closer to the coast, but I usually wanted to "get there ASAP" when the destination was southern warmth.

When I bought my first 25' AS in NC in the 90's, I stayed at this CG in Suffolk VA coming back home. It still looks good and is highly rated by Good Sam Club:

Welcome to Davis Lakes Resort | Davis Lakes Resort

You should be able to make this in one day from NJ, so it may make for a good stopping point. I am guessing it is about 400 miles total -- not sure if you want to go this far on the first day with a family, but if your trailer is winterized reaching a frost-free area may be worth the push?

Have a great trip!

Peter

Edit -- I see that this CG is a little south of Route 58 on Route 13, which is another way to go south closer to the coast, but slower than going back to I-95 IMO. I have also stayed at a Holiday Inn somewhere near Suffolk close to 58, which was convenient.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:26 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
We just returned from a NJ-FL round trip that began in early Nov.

Going south, we took the beltway around Baltimore and DC. Total nightmare. Coming back north, we took the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. It had traffic, but nothing like the DC metro area. We then took Rt 13 north to MD, then went east to Assateague Island National Seashore for a weekend of peace and quiet. (Boondocking, but water and dump are available. Open all year. You'll have the beach to yourself.)

From Longport, the Cape May-Lewes Ferry looks like your best bet for avoiding metro-area mayhem. It won't save you any time, but it will be much more relaxing than fighting the city traffic. From Lewes, take Rte 9 to Rte 113, down the Delmarva Peninsula. Pick up Rte 13 in Pocomoke City and take it all the way south to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. Getting from Norfolk to I-95 (Emporia) on Rte 58, we did hit some delays, but they were tolerable.

You don't indicate your specific FL destination, but we took a trucker's recommendation to use Rte 301, which you can pick up from I-95, north of Jacksonville. FL is doing a lot of work on I-95 (traffic delays, daily wrecks), but 301 is a very decent road in generally good repair. (On the whole, we found FL secondary roads better than I-95 in NC and SC.)

BTW, if you're heading for the Nature Coast, we highly recommend Sunset Isles Motel & RV Resort on Cedar Key. Rigs are tightly-packed on a very restricted site, but the flavor is very "old Florida." The town of Cedar Key has an active artist community supported, in part, by the downtown artist cooperative. Well worth a visit.

Happy trails!
Old 12-17-2015, 08:49 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfallsp View Post
We just returned from a NJ-FL round trip that began in early Nov.

Going south, we took the beltway around Baltimore and DC. Total nightmare. Coming back north, we took the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. It had traffic, but nothing like the DC metro area. We then took Rt 13 north to MD, then went east to Assateague Island National Seashore for a weekend of peace and quiet. (Boondocking, but water and dump are available. Open all year. You'll have the beach to yourself.)

From Longport, the Cape May-Lewes Ferry looks like your best bet for avoiding metro-area mayhem. It won't save you any time, but it will be much more relaxing than fighting the city traffic. From Lewes, take Rte 9 to Rte 113, down the Delmarva Peninsula. Pick up Rte 13 in Pocomoke City and take it all the way south to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. Getting from Norfolk to I-95 (Emporia) on Rte 58, we did hit some delays, but they were tolerable.

You don't indicate your specific FL destination, but we took a trucker's recommendation to use Rte 301, which you can pick up from I-95, north of Jacksonville. FL is doing a lot of work on I-95 (traffic delays, daily wrecks), but 301 is a very decent road in generally good repair. (On the whole, we found FL secondary roads better than I-95 in NC and SC.)

BTW, if you're heading for the Nature Coast, we highly recommend Sunset Isles Motel & RV Resort on Cedar Key. Rigs are tightly-packed on a very restricted site, but the flavor is very "old Florida." The town of Cedar Key has an active artist community supported, in part, by the downtown artist cooperative. Well worth a visit.

Happy trails!

Where did you boondock in Assateague? That sounds awesome and would love to do that!
Old 12-17-2015, 09:40 AM   #25

1974 31' Sovereign
White Marsh , Virginia
I-695 WEST around Baltimore, I-695 EAST takes you thru the tunnel.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:01 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
I avoid the north portion of I95 at all cost too stressful and lots of pot holes. I travel west of I95 to avoid Philly,DC, Richmond then head east yes it's a few more miles but time wise it works out about the same. Plus I'm not nearly as stressed and the views are nicer. Good camping Rand
Old 12-17-2015, 10:43 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
Where did you boondock in Assateague? That sounds awesome and would love to do that!
We always stay at the federal (NPS - Maryland District) campground. (The MD state campground is closed for the season and, IMHO, isn't nearly as nice.) You'll find more info at Assateague Island National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service) Note that reservations aren't needed at this time of year, but you'll want to arrive in daylight and when the ranger station is open.

Assateague is a barrier island, so the NPS has campsites on both the ocean and bay (Sinepuxent) sides. We prefer the ocean side, where there are boardwalks over the dunes. The NPS has several nature trails, and there's a visitors' center on the mainland side of the bridge that's great for kids. And, of course, the Assateague feral horses (think "Misty of Chincoteague") roam the Maryand District at will.

Even if you don't get there on this trip, AINS is a great place for Airstreaming.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Thanks All! Getting super pumped!!!