Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2015, 04:15 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
OTRA: when you say propane off, do you mean turned off, or physically off of the trailer? Sorry I'm dense
The propane tanks' main valves should be turned off at the tanks for the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, but the tanks can remain in place as secured by the OEM hold-downs, I believe:

CBBT Compressed Gas Regulations

For other crossings with stricter regs (like the Baltimore tunnels), I believe that you technically are able to travel with EMPTY propane tanks, and I have seen large signs in the front windshields of tow vehicles, reading "Propane Tanks Empty" or something like that. Not certain if local permits are in theory required for this, or whether the tanks are required to be removed.

Around NYC, when film companies use large RV-like studios and dressing rooms for the cast and crew, the front windshields often have signs that read "No Propane On Board" etc., thus permitting use of various tunnels and both levels of bridges. Not sure if there are also local permits required for these situations.

FYI here are the CBBT tolls -- $22 for TV and 2-axle trailer -- pretty cheap IMO if you think about building a similar structure!

http://www.cbbt.com/wp-content/uploa...eFINAL2014.pdf

Edit -- the $22 may only apply to certain tow vehicles using EZ Pass for both the TV and the trailer. Higher rates are in the lower lines. TBD
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:42 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
When you exit the CBBT you need to be prepared for the fact that you will suddenly be in urban traffic again in Virginia Beach, which I found a bit startling after the relaxing drive down the Eastern Shore.

It's been a while but I think you will be on Route 13 southbound, and want to get on I-64 south briefly, then to I-264 westbound, which becomes Route 58 heading west, assuming you want to get over to I-95 at Emporia VA. There are more scenic routes south, staying closer to the coast, but I usually wanted to "get there ASAP" when the destination was southern warmth.

When I bought my first 25' AS in NC in the 90's, I stayed at this CG in Suffolk VA coming back home. It still looks good and is highly rated by Good Sam Club:

Welcome to Davis Lakes Resort | Davis Lakes Resort

You should be able to make this in one day from NJ, so it may make for a good stopping point. I am guessing it is about 400 miles total -- not sure if you want to go this far on the first day with a family, but if your trailer is winterized reaching a frost-free area may be worth the push?

Have a great trip!

Peter

Edit -- I see that this CG is a little south of Route 58 on Route 13, which is another way to go south closer to the coast, but slower than going back to I-95 IMO. I have also stayed at a Holiday Inn somewhere near Suffolk close to 58, which was convenient.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:26 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
We just returned from a NJ-FL round trip that began in early Nov.

Going south, we took the beltway around Baltimore and DC. Total nightmare. Coming back north, we took the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. It had traffic, but nothing like the DC metro area. We then took Rt 13 north to MD, then went east to Assateague Island National Seashore for a weekend of peace and quiet. (Boondocking, but water and dump are available. Open all year. You'll have the beach to yourself.)

From Longport, the Cape May-Lewes Ferry looks like your best bet for avoiding metro-area mayhem. It won't save you any time, but it will be much more relaxing than fighting the city traffic. From Lewes, take Rte 9 to Rte 113, down the Delmarva Peninsula. Pick up Rte 13 in Pocomoke City and take it all the way south to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. Getting from Norfolk to I-95 (Emporia) on Rte 58, we did hit some delays, but they were tolerable.

You don't indicate your specific FL destination, but we took a trucker's recommendation to use Rte 301, which you can pick up from I-95, north of Jacksonville. FL is doing a lot of work on I-95 (traffic delays, daily wrecks), but 301 is a very decent road in generally good repair. (On the whole, we found FL secondary roads better than I-95 in NC and SC.)

BTW, if you're heading for the Nature Coast, we highly recommend Sunset Isles Motel & RV Resort on Cedar Key. Rigs are tightly-packed on a very restricted site, but the flavor is very "old Florida." The town of Cedar Key has an active artist community supported, in part, by the downtown artist cooperative. Well worth a visit.

Happy trails!
windfallsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:49 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfallsp View Post
We just returned from a NJ-FL round trip that began in early Nov.

Going south, we took the beltway around Baltimore and DC. Total nightmare. Coming back north, we took the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. It had traffic, but nothing like the DC metro area. We then took Rt 13 north to MD, then went east to Assateague Island National Seashore for a weekend of peace and quiet. (Boondocking, but water and dump are available. Open all year. You'll have the beach to yourself.)

From Longport, the Cape May-Lewes Ferry looks like your best bet for avoiding metro-area mayhem. It won't save you any time, but it will be much more relaxing than fighting the city traffic. From Lewes, take Rte 9 to Rte 113, down the Delmarva Peninsula. Pick up Rte 13 in Pocomoke City and take it all the way south to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. Getting from Norfolk to I-95 (Emporia) on Rte 58, we did hit some delays, but they were tolerable.

You don't indicate your specific FL destination, but we took a trucker's recommendation to use Rte 301, which you can pick up from I-95, north of Jacksonville. FL is doing a lot of work on I-95 (traffic delays, daily wrecks), but 301 is a very decent road in generally good repair. (On the whole, we found FL secondary roads better than I-95 in NC and SC.)

BTW, if you're heading for the Nature Coast, we highly recommend Sunset Isles Motel & RV Resort on Cedar Key. Rigs are tightly-packed on a very restricted site, but the flavor is very "old Florida." The town of Cedar Key has an active artist community supported, in part, by the downtown artist cooperative. Well worth a visit.

Happy trails!

Where did you boondock in Assateague? That sounds awesome and would love to do that!
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:40 AM   #25

1974 31' Sovereign
White Marsh , Virginia
I-695 WEST around Baltimore, I-695 EAST takes you thru the tunnel.
JimHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:01 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
I avoid the north portion of I95 at all cost too stressful and lots of pot holes. I travel west of I95 to avoid Philly,DC, Richmond then head east yes it's a few more miles but time wise it works out about the same. Plus I'm not nearly as stressed and the views are nicer. Good camping Rand
grizbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:43 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
Quote:
Where did you boondock in Assateague? That sounds awesome and would love to do that!
We always stay at the federal (NPS - Maryland District) campground. (The MD state campground is closed for the season and, IMHO, isn't nearly as nice.) You'll find more info at Assateague Island National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service) Note that reservations aren't needed at this time of year, but you'll want to arrive in daylight and when the ranger station is open.

Assateague is a barrier island, so the NPS has campsites on both the ocean and bay (Sinepuxent) sides. We prefer the ocean side, where there are boardwalks over the dunes. The NPS has several nature trails, and there's a visitors' center on the mainland side of the bridge that's great for kids. And, of course, the Assateague feral horses (think "Misty of Chincoteague") roam the Maryand District at will.

Even if you don't get there on this trip, AINS is a great place for Airstreaming.
windfallsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:19 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Thanks All! Getting super pumped!!!
Old 12-17-2015, 11:04 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York

Old 12-17-2015, 12:29 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
I-95 is mostly concrete, and you can hit deep holes with very sharp edges...seems they are the worst from NC through GA. US-17 is a beautiful coastal route alternative in GA, and Ft. Clinch State Park off the first FL exit is beautiful (chose the Riverside camp sites). jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:35 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Eastern shore/Cape may lewes ferry and Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel looks like a nice trip (propane looks to be ok per their site). Does anyone know if that route is open?
Yes it is and a very enjoyable stress free route. Until you hit Norfolk (stay away at rush hour, get on RT 58 (do the speed limit) then hit RT 95 south, I always stay away from Jax at rush hour and take the western bypass towards Rt 10, then hit RT 301 south for more stress free driving.

Safe travels ;-)
KWN306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:52 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Tips for towing on I-95 NJ to FL

Best "tip" for towing on I-95 NJ to FL is DON'T!

We've Airstreamed all across this great country for 30+ years and keep our AS's maintained and in pristine condition. That said, the ONE AND ONLY time in all those years we've ever had tire problems was in '14 traveling that route on I-95. Very, very rough road, much congestion & that year we even got caught up in a delay by a police inspection stop as they were searching vehicles for the bad guys. Thought we'd never reach our destination.

Anyway, after losing not 1 but 2 different tires on our AS traveling I-95 we now take I-81 thru the Shennandoah Valley. Gorgeous, serene & peaceful drive with plenty of nice/decent campgrounds along the way.

Safe travels, enjoy the journey. The weather is beautiful in FL right now but hoping for the little cool front tomorrow that they've been teasing us with. Expected to warm up again soon though.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:21 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Tappahannock , Virginia
My recommendation is to avoid Baltimore and Washington completely by taking Rt 1 / 13 / 301 in Delaware as soon as you come off the NJ Turnpike at Wilmington then through Middletown. Head across the Chesapeake Bay on Rt 50 / 301 then back to 301 South across the Potomac, then to Bowling Green and join I-95 then I-295 around Richmond and join back on I-95 at Petersburg. Done this a few times and it's faster than I-95. Also concur on Jacksonville Eastern I-295. I'll be doing it again next week!

2015 25’ Flying Cloud
2015 RAM 2500 Laramie Cummins
WBCCI # 2381
RivaHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:31 PM   #34
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Where in Florida are you going? Big difference between the pan handle and Jacksonville.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:06 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
I95 from mid-state on south through GA is a washboard. I just don't know how to get around it. Sometimes we take I81 south to I75. Longer but a better road. If you choose that route, take the east belt line around Atlanta, the west loop is rough too.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:20 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
For spring break in April, we travel south to FL. We try to stay off I-95 as much as possible. We live in northern VT and Day #1 aim for I-81 - Night #1 stop at Cracker Barrel Restaurant Chambersburg, PA (right off I-81) Day #2 - I-81 to I-77 to I-26 to Cracker Barrel Restaurant, Orangeburg, SC Day 3 - half day drive to St. Augustine FL. This is the only day we hit I-95.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:37 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Wanderer View Post
For spring break in April, we travel south to FL. We try to stay off I-95 as much as possible. We live in northern VT and Day #1 aim for I-81. . .
[snip]
Do you go down the NYS Thruway, then take I-287 west? From Long Island I have taken this route south -- first looping NORTH around NYC via the Port Jeff Bridgeport ferry to CT Turnpike, to 287 through White Plains and Tappen Zee Bridge, to 287, 78, then 81 heading south.

It may seem like a crazy route, but it is the safest and most relaxing, and the extra few hours is negligible in the context of a 1-3 month road trip.

Getting to the destination safely is more important than NOT getting there quickly!

Also, as others have mentioned in this thread, the Shenandoah Valley is gorgeous with lots of easy access to many campgrounds in The Appalachians.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:34 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
I've heard I-81 and I-77 is too hilly, with mountain like grades in places. Might me too much for our Toyota Sequoia? What do you think?
Old 12-17-2015, 07:19 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
I think you will be just fine with the Toyota and though busy in spots much more pleasant. Cold but rather pleasant weather this weekend. Enjoy!
I'm jelous.
Dave
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:49 PM   #40
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
81, only way, pretty and much less congested. Cracker Barrels all over to spend he night. I hope u have reservations in florida, I hear sites are jammed this year,
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote