Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2016, 04:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
The Woodlands , Texas
Tips for SW Colorado Camping - July?

Hello everyone,

I’m planning a family Airstream vacation to southwest Colorado at the end of July, and would appreciate any input and recommendations on where to camp, places to visit, and what not to miss. I’m quite comfortable towing in the Colorado Mountains, so scenic routes could be a plus.

My wife, two sons (ages 9 & 6), and I will be driving up from Houston, and will have about 7 days in SW Colorado. This will be our second annual weeklong vacation in our Airstream, and we’re looking forward to it, especially escaping the Texas summer.

We would like to spend two days in Mesa Verde, and divide the remaining days between one or two other locations. Ideally, we want to stay a few nights in each location. Where else would you recommend (Telluride, Ouray, Durango, etc)? We plan to spend the days sightseeing, hiking, horseback riding, and perhaps work in a few off-road trails and a rafting trip.

As for where to camp, we would like to stay in a spot where we’re not on top of other campers and can have a campfire. I know there are several National Parks in the region, and I haven’t ruled these out, but having water and electrical hookups can make life easier when the kids are with us. Any recommendations for city, county, state parks, or kid friendly RV parks that allow campfires would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
LesMesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Mesa Verde has a few sites with hookups and staying in the park is closer to the ruins.
A few nights in Durango and you can ride the train as well as raft on the Animas River. United CG is closest to town, has hookups and train runs through the park.
Matterhorn CG has hookups is not far from Telluride and the jeep trails. Get bookin'!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Here are some things on my trip through that area for 2017:

Telluride
Alta Lakes

Ridgeway State Park

Ouray/Silverton
Alpine Loop Backcountry Byway
Ophir Pass

I am curious if you have researched the roads? Million Dollar Highway connects Silverton to Ouray which is sketchy, although well traveled by the locals. We are working our way around from Mesa Verde over the San Juan Skyway to Ridgeway SP.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

The narrow gauge train ride between Durango and Silverton will be memorable. And both towns would be on my short list. Also Azteca has an awesome "museum " . Actually it very well preserved Kiva, which is the most elaborate, biggest one that I have ever seen. It would go great along with the Mesa Verde tour.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:23 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMesa View Post
Hello everyone,

I’m planning a family Airstream vacation to southwest Colorado at the end of July, and would appreciate any input and recommendations on where to camp, places to visit, and what not to miss. I’m quite comfortable towing in the Colorado Mountains, so scenic routes could be a plus.

My wife, two sons (ages 9 & 6), and I will be driving up from Houston, and will have about 7 days in SW Colorado. This will be our second annual weeklong vacation in our Airstream, and we’re looking forward to it, especially escaping the Texas summer.

We would like to spend two days in Mesa Verde, and divide the remaining days between one or two other locations. Ideally, we want to stay a few nights in each location. Where else would you recommend (Telluride, Ouray, Durango, etc)? We plan to spend the days sightseeing, hiking, horseback riding, and perhaps work in a few off-road trails and a rafting trip.

As for where to camp, we would like to stay in a spot where we’re not on top of other campers and can have a campfire. I know there are several National Parks in the region, and I haven’t ruled these out, but having water and electrical hookups can make life easier when the kids are with us. Any recommendations for city, county, state parks, or kid friendly RV parks that allow campfires would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
I also live in the Houston area, I'm curious how long you expect it to take to get to SW Colorado if you plan on staying 7 days?
Rocket53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:37 AM   #6
coloradopete

1988 25' Excella
Montrose , Colorado
Smile Favorites in SW Colorado

I live in Montrose and pass this information on to you. Ridgeway SP is one of our favorites for camping, boating and hiking. Electrical hookups with water nearby but not hookup. Dumpstation at the park. Campfires? Absolutely, unless the fire hazard is too great.
Another favorite site is in the Black Canyon NP. Electrical hookups in the B loop only. Haul your water in. Generators not permitted. Excellent hiking. Campfires yes. Park is located just north and east of Montrose, about 15 miles.
Another favorite area is in Taylor Park/canyon. Several NFS campgrounds in the area now have electrical hookups and water available. Rafting in the Taylor River. Lottis Creek CG and Lakeview are 2 of our favorites. Located north and east of Gunnison. Campfires yes.
All of the above mentioned locations offer sites with adequate privacy.
Hope this helps!
coloradopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
You will have a great time. This is kind of like when people ask what to do when they go to Santa Fe, NM and the reality is these areas are best self-discovered. Everyone has their own idea of what is fun to do and what they want to do. For me some high points are - For that area and at that time of year plan on a brief rain shower each afternoon. The KOA between Ridgeway and Ouray is unique in that it has big grassy spaces with fire rings. If you have a four wheel drive try the last dollar 4WD road from Ouray to Telluride (not challenging but does cross a stream or two) and it lets you out above Telluride looking down at the airport and up the canyon toward Telluride. Great drive. We also like the drive from Ouray to Cimmaron, CO which can be done in a regular car then stop at Black Canyon on the Gunnison National Park. For me the little museum in Ouray is well done and worthwhile, the hot springs in Ouray and the box canyon hike (small fees) are a don't miss. Just a few things to consider but be careful about this trip - many people fall in love with the area and begin returning year after year and some even want to buy property there ...
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:08 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
1972 21' Globetrotter
Duxbury , Massachusetts
Consider Eureka Campground near Silverton. It is nearly bookdocking or is actually boondocking in some cases. No potable water or dump and some electric. It is about eight miles east of Silverton and is a gateway to great hiking and jeeping. The road out is slow going but is worth the effort. The campground is on the banks of the Animas River upstream of the EPA spill of last summer.
DougHart352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
The Woodlands , Texas
Thanks for the info so far. There definitely seems to a choice of good campgrounds and thinks to do.

In answer to a few questions/points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post

I am curious if you have researched the roads? Million Dollar Highway connects Silverton to Ouray which is sketchy, although well traveled by the locals.
I'm not sure yet whether our route will take us over the Million Dollar Highway with the trailer in tow. I do plan to drive the road at some point and take in the view. I plan to take it slow and use the truck's exhaust brake. My last time on that road was in the mid '80s with my Dad driving a rented Southwind RV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket53 View Post
I also live in the Houston area, I'm curious how long you expect it to take to get to SW Colorado if you plan on staying 7 days?
I will do the drive over two days. I will push through on the first day and get just inside NM, so that the second day will be a lot shorter. We towed the AS to Estes Park last summer and it took about 17 hours of driving time over 2 days. We drove from Houston to Dalhart, TX on the first day, but feel we could have gone all the way to Raton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickinson View Post
If you have a four wheel drive try the last dollar 4WD road from Ouray to Telluride (not challenging but does cross a stream or two) and it lets you out above Telluride looking down at the airport and up the canyon toward Telluride. Great drive.
Perfect. The 4WD doesn't get exercised enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickinson View Post
be careful about this trip - many people fall in love with the area and begin returning year after year and some even want to buy property there ...
This is a problem each time we go to CO!
LesMesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
San Antonio , Texas
SW Colorado

You could try the KOA in Alamosa, quite a nice site, the Great Sand Dunes national park is near there (700 ft Dunes)(many movies made there) I don't know the hookups at the park, but they do have sites, if your a train buff, there is a railroad that you can ride through the Sangre de Christo mountains (several movies have been made on it, the scenery is fantastic), to the West of Alamosa the is the "Old Spanish Trail" you can still see the ruts left by all the wagons that went through there, on the East side of the San Luis Valley, you have Fort Garland, a fort (restored) that was commanded by Kit Carson, on the way from Alamosa to Pagosa Springs (natural hot springs) (Through Del Norte Some RV sites there ) there are RV sites in and around Creed, Then on to Gunnison, we used to live in the San Luis Valley and there are some beautiful places along Highway 160, especially when you get to Creed and Pagosa. Alamosa is approx. 90 miles South of Aspen, 90 miles North of Santa Fe, 90 miles West of Walsenburg, I have attached several photos of the area. Hope you have a great trip.
Ralph12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:23 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Silverton , Animas forks , Ouray , and Lake City , are a must visit while out and about . US 550 from Bernalillo , New Mexico takes you thru Durango , Silverton , and Ouray . It is a top notch road these days and a huge difference to what New Mexicos roads were in the not to distant past .
Head north to Montrose and take US 50 to Highway 149 thru Lake City , over Slumgullian Pass to Creede , then to South Fork where you decide if Wolf Creek Pass south thru Chama , New Mexico and Santa Fe suites your fancy or some other route to get home on .
There are very nice FREE full hookup sites in city parks in both Mule Shoe and Littlefield Tx. that are great to use while in transit .
Have Fun ! We will beat ya there by 3 or 4 weeks this Jun .
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:12 PM   #12
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
https://www.codot.gov/travel/maximum...in-passes.html

Colorado posts a listing of standard maximum grades for their passes. Worth a look when planning the trip. Surprised that the Ike Tunnel run is only 6% and Wolfe Creek is only 6.8%. Slumgullian at 9.4%, now that's a grade. Guess the question is how long are the approaches. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:33 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
You have picked one of the most beautiful places in the country to vacation. We vacation there at least 6 weeks per year. Don't miss Mesa Verde, the indian dancers in Cortez, a trip up the gondola in Telluride, among many other sights. There are at least three nat'l campgrounds. Ou
R favorite one is Caton just north of Rico. I could go on for weeks about the area. We will be in Durango on the 7th of July. notify me if u have any questions.
mhilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:11 PM   #14
Clipper and Tug

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to elstunr
If you are in Cortez, Colorado, near Mesa Verde, you will have to stop for refreshments at the Silver Bean - look them up on Facebook and you will see why I suggest this location.

I will try to a link: https://www.facebook.com/Silver-Bean...14858/?fref=ts
elstunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:20 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
We love that part of Colorado. Black Canyon is great, and Colorado National Monument is definitely a keeper. If you get as far as Creede, it's really a neat old town. Bristol Head CG is a Forest Service CG with limited facilities, but with lots of things to see close by.

Richard
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:40 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
https://www.codot.gov/travel/maximum...in-passes.html

Colorado posts a listing of standard maximum grades for their passes. Worth a look when planning the trip. Surprised that the Ike Tunnel run is only 6% and Wolfe Creek is only 6.8%. Slumgullian at 9.4%, now that's a grade. Guess the question is how long are the approaches. Pat
The Lake City side of Slumgullian pass is the steep part of the pass , the Creede side is a much gentler grade . If your concerned that your tow vehicle will not hold back on that grade without smoking your brakes , plan your route from Lake City to Creede ! Great journey either way !
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The Alpin Rose RV park north of Durango is a nice clean Commercial park and really nice folks operate it. Don't know about campfires. I rate this 5 star.
The Mesa Verde Resort near Mancos. Close to the entrance to Mesa Verde. I rate this 4.5 stars only because of the gravel.
Both have web sites with pics.
Take a day and ride the Durango Silverton train.
You would have to spend the entire summer in the area to even begin to see all. It is truly Gods country.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I think you will find Alpin Rose a bit sterile from the sounds of what you are looking for - I like united better - but if you are looking for something a bit rustic and I believe allow campfires - I would look at Priest Gulch near Rico - not too terribly far from Mesa Verde
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:05 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
We went out that way this past summer from Rhode Island.Telluride and the Taylor/ Gunnison river were great stops. Our favorite was Rosey Lane on the Taylor just North of Harmels Ranch. 18$ a night and great clean sites and bathrooms. The hosts are from San Antonio and are so nice and really make it a special visit . Fish right behind your site and watch the rafting. Have Fun.

If we had more time we would have stopped at Curecanti National recreation Area. We drove in and had Lunch and the campsites we saw were really Nice . It's between Montrose and Gunnison.
eliset123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:42 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
All of the areas mentioned are great. Will be very busy end of July. Take a look at Pagosa Springs as well as Lake City. Lots of campgrounds. I have found going on google maps and then entering rv campgrounds is a good idea to see many in the area. Very steep going into Lake City from the east.

I hope this day to have the opportunity to help someone in need.
Kittyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote