Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2017, 04:24 AM   #41
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
.....snip Otherwise at a minimum disengage your anti-sway and proceed with caution!
I wouldn't recommend the disengagement of a WD style sway control......friction bar ok.

The only other tip I can think of......Austin TX, San Diego CA

Goog Luck

Bob
Old 09-19-2017, 06:31 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss View Post
Thoughts from the experts? It's going to go down to 32 degrees tonights according to the forecast.
As soon as the roads clear head to warmer climate and learn how to operate your camper.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:04 AM   #43
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss View Post
Television - other plug is blocked so Inverter only. I wonder why he did that. o
I have several outlets, TV included, that are marked with the Inverter Label, but they all work without turning on the inverter when plugged into shore power, as designed. Perhaps previous owner (PO) decided to defeat that option, or inadvertently did, when he replaced the stock inverter.

A good question for the next service guy or helpful camper that knows more about trailer wiring.

Inverter: 12v DC to 120v AC.
Converter: 120v AC to 12v DC.

More info here: http://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-electrical.html
Old 09-19-2017, 09:49 AM   #44
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Driving on Slippery Surfaces??

Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
Yes, the friction sway control, as recommended by manufacturers, should be disconnected on slippery surfaces. They make hitch system too rigid, i.e., it won't bend in the middle very well, if at all.
I have camped all winter in Omaha, NE, with no difficulties. Just use a short heated water hose and only empty holding tanks on days when it is above freezing. Have fun, I too like winter camping.
guskmg

So, on slippery surfaces, the trailer coming around to pass the TV is better?

or

1) Don't drive when slippery.
2) Invest in PPP if you want to not worry about changing your lashup on slippery days. :

Possible winter cross-country trip this year, want to learn.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:30 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2018 27' International
carbondale , Colorado
Back to the sway control bars for a second. I have an Equal-i-zer system and I called the manuf. after reading above about driving in slippery conditions and they said they recommend leaving it on. Too much info. sometime on the internet. So, who's right?
capt_ron777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #46
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_ron777 View Post
Back to the sway control bars for a second. I have an Equal-i-zer system and I called the manuf. after reading above about driving in slippery conditions and they said they recommend leaving it on. Too much info. sometime on the internet. So, who's right?
Loosen this style....

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eaz-Lift 2005.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	295218  
Old 09-19-2017, 01:07 PM   #47
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_ron777 View Post
Loosen this style....

Bob
Old 09-20-2017, 12:40 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
Hey, great, you're my Hero!
Good to know NAVY.. me be AIR FORCE... hee hee... go AF...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:51 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Question... some of you say you have inverters in your AS... I know that their is a inverter that works both ways... i.e takes shore power and converts it to 12 volts DC... to power up the RV... and charge the batteries.... then when shore power is gone... it takes the 12 volts DC and turns it back into 120 v ac 60 cyc...

The question is... because it does this..

does the refrig auto controller then switch the refrig back from propane to 120 v ac thinking that it has shore power... yet your running off the 12 volt batteries... (could this be part of our newbies problem and not know it)

While traveling.. is the inverter always on so as to have the trailer powered up with 120 v. ac ?

Seems to me that their should be some control of the inverter as to when it should come on... and/or be off...

The effecency of going from 12 volts to 120.. to run a TelVison these day is not their.. most flat screen TelVisons... can and do run on 12 volts DC... and use a wall wart to convert the 120 volts ac to 12 volts DC... which is a better way to go .. and to run the microwave or convection oven... from the inverter.. really suck... the life out of the batts... one might ponder... some of these thoughts...as to batt life and useage
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:01 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Rapid City , South Dakota
The heat pumpm won't work below 50. Run the furnace.
Chick Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:59 AM   #51
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Airstream View Post
So this leads us to the question...
when you need help.. who ya call... the chemist or the engineer...???? (grin)
Neither; I call my friend with little formal education and decades of life experience.

Bliss may have forgotten more than we know in many areas.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:03 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Jasper , Georgia
Your gfci is likely tripped if no power to any 110v outlets. Check to see if the gfci in the bathroom (thats where mine is) is tripped.
Runaground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:12 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari
Fanning Spring , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
I have several outlets, TV included, that are marked with the Inverter Label, but they all work without turning on the inverter when plugged into shore power, as designed. Perhaps previous owner (PO) decided to defeat that option, or inadvertently did, when he replaced the stock inverter.

A good question for the next service guy or helpful camper that knows more about trailer wiring.

Inverter: 12v DC to 120v AC.
Converter: 120v AC to 12v DC.

More info here: http://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-electrical.html
Haven't tested the other Inverter outlets, will do so later to see if they work with the Inverter off.

Though from Joe's comment, it looks like the Inverter outlet for the television was an Airstream thing, not previous owner?

In the scheme of things, television is not a priority, just a distraction, something to have on and was easier to flip on than the stereo. I have not really watched television in years, will only use it as a monitor for work when I get all the computer stuff set up.
bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:25 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari
Fanning Spring , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaground View Post
Your gfci is likely tripped if no power to any 110v outlets. Check to see if the gfci in the bathroom (thats where mine is) is tripped.
Thanks. But half the outlets worked, half did not. Had a type of GFCI I've never used before, but have now.
bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:48 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Hmmm😏 my first cold night up north I couldn't get my furance to turn on. Was ready to give the AS dealer heck in the morning. I was hooked to shore power, no heat...spent most of a cold night checking breakers, GIF, when suddenly I remembered i forgot to flip the breaker switch on the RV Parks electrical post after hook up. Very humbled but I will never make that rookie mistake again. Check easy stuff first...beware of operator error, especially when first starting out. Good luck, NO BAD DAYS....[emoji41]
DTOURS is offline   Reply With Quote