2017 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Thanks again…this is great information.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:20 AM   #16
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Setting up goes quickly--20 minutes or so-- if you don't unhitch and just do your hookups & stabilizers. But if setting up includes locating the RV park manager who's left the office, cooking dinner, setting out drinks and snacks, needing to wash and dry a load of very ripe laundry.... well, you get the picture.

We find that breaking up takes longer, mostly because having coffee and a leisurely if simple breakfast is a nice thing to do in an AS-- and then there's the washing up. Also, in addition to unhooking the hookups, possibly hitching up, and definitely putting up the stabilizers (we broke one once when we didn't count to 4), we have to make sure everything is road-ready (hatch down, toilet bowl drained, windows closed, nothing left at the site, and so on.) Generally we track in enough grunge to need to sweep the floor. Then there's taking out the trash, and a probable trip to the sani-dump if we don't have full hook-ups. That's not counting showering, or your early morning dog-walk.

For a quick getaway, we are hitched up the night before, and take a sack breakfast made the night before (like muffins and boiled eggs) with a thermos of coffee for the drive.

Of course we could buy breakfast somewhere, but then we have lost some of the time savings that way, also. Besides, we can stand only so many morning grease bombs at fast food restaurants.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:02 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Yes, I love the idea of the laminated check off sheet. Maybe I should add 1,2,3,4... I thought about notes stuck to the steering wheel for the really important reminders and someone else suggested placing an old wheel chock on the front seat every time he stopped and used them so not to forget to remove them.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:14 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It seems like a very short time to:
1. back in
2. chock the wheels
3. plug in to shore power
4. hook up city water
5. uncouple from the truck
6. deploy steps
7. turn on air conditioner
8. turn on water heater
15 minutes or so for those basics/bare necessities- then:
9. get something to eat
10. build a campfire
11. visit others at their campsites
12. and so on and so on and scooby dooby doo-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:20 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
pickering , Ontario
timing the setup

I could get my 31AS into just about any camp sight; leveled; hooked up to services in a 1/2 hour; the longer you do it the better you should get; for people that only go out once /year it might take longer;
Old 02-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Under 15 min to set up (including unhitching) and 20 for breakdown...wife helping.
We use a checklist (one in Eddie and one in Silver TV) - very important for pre-departure... both leaving home and leaving the camping location.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:38 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
When boondocking Karen and I could setup in 10 minutes, we handed stuff through the door and neither one of us had to go in or out, about 20 to breakdown and be on the road. Pink jobs and Blue jobs. :-) Alone it takes me more than twice that time and I am wore out and needing to sit for a while.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:14 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
It seems like a very short time to:

12. and so on and so on and scooby dooby doo-
Sly & the Family Stone. Now I am singing that song in my head :-)
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:21 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I can get her done and set up, including awning in about half an hour. I keep a stern face and try to avoid any eye contact with anyone near by, as if they think I am friendly or inviting they will almost always come over and start asking questions like - Huh, do they still make those, or wow how old is your trailer, or where are the slides. So on and so forth, in which case my wife usually has to come out and tell me to get going as dinner is about ready.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:41 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
I do the outside stuff and my wife does the inside, both setting up and take down.
Set -up is my getting the unit level, legs down and wheels chocked. stuff plugged in and water turned on.(inside, she bleeds off the air in the water lines). I always get her to step outside and away when I unhitch, just because. While I am doing my thing(s) Mich is getting everything in order inside. If we are near Happy Hour ( any time after 1 PM) She gets our glasses ready.
Take down is much the same. We both make ready inside then I go out to do my thing. I unplug electrical and disconnect water and sewer. I always raise the back legs first to allow the front to be raised so the front legs are easier to lift. I hitch up and connect what is necessary to the truck. This is when I un-chuck the wheels.
I then do a final walk around (find I forgot to put the steps up) and walk through before locking the doors and pulling out several feet to walk around again.
I am never in a hurry to set up . My Happy Hour Scotch is waiting for me when I get done. Take down isn't a big deal as I always allow plenty of time and not worry about check out times.
expanding on this thought-- If you hurry, something will be missed or broken. Take your time. A job worth doing is a job worth doing well.
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Seattle , Washington
grain belt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
Directly proportional to A: The weather, B: Who is there to greet us, C: If the Grain Belt is COLD. In reality, about 1/2 hour to set up, and about 40 min to take down and double check everything before hitting the road.
My uncle brought some back from MN once and I loved it!

Wish we could find it out here (Seattle area). We have scads of great beer, but that one was a good one to drink on a warm day.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:07 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Monticello , Florida
OTOH = on the other hand
Who knew?
Thx wike
Old 02-18-2015, 03:24 PM   #27
Site Team

, Minnesota
Takes longer than it used to. She refuses to be inside ever since I overshot, just a little, while hitching up. Knocked her off her feet.
Now I need to wait until she is finished packing everything inside before I can start to hitch up. Takes twice as long.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:03 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Takes longer than it used to. She refuses to be inside ever since I overshot, just a little, while hitching up. Knocked her off her feet.
Now I need to wait until she is finished packing everything inside before I can start to hitch up. Takes twice as long.

Been there, but the new TV has a rear view camera that can be zoomed onto the ball, one of the greatest inventions ever. Much better than a wife's finger out of view pointing in the wrong direction. Ha

paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote