Old 02-03-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Time for a spring break

Our son called from Memphis, and told us he was tired of sleeping on the floor. [He's in grad school at Memphis U, and just back from 2 years in China. He had decided that after China he could handle being a minimalist while in grad school.] I told my wife I was ready for a break, and she asked "A break from what - you're retired." I asked her what her point was, and looked for flying objects!

So, the trailer and I are off to Memphis the first of next month. I'll be staying on the banks of the Mississippi at Tom Sawyer RV Park. We camped there, overnight, several years ago and have always wanted to go back to stay for a longer time. I'll load up some stuff for the boy to justify the trip.

Since he doesn't have any transportation, he hasn't really seen Memphis and neither have I. I'm open for any suggestions y'all may have, especially some good BBQ joints. He's been told we should go to Graceland just to hear how Elvis said Memphis, so that's already on the list. He's got papers to do so I guess we'll have about three days to see the sites. Also, what should I expect as for as weather up there the week of March 8?

Thanks.

__________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Check out the visitor's bureau. Check out Mud Island and the history surrounding it. Graceland is a must see when there. Beale Street and the fabulous BBQ rib joints, will keep you well fed-- Enjoy your trip.

visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Memphis...

I was born there, but moved out when I went to college. Still have family there, so I get back a few times every year.

You can't go wrong with Memphis Bar-B-Q

Two of my favorite are below. Neely's is excellent. You may have caught Pat and Gina's Food Network show Down Home With The Neely's... watch for it.

Neely's BBQ The Finest the World Over - Homepage

The Rendezvous is an old favorite and was the first place that I tried dry rub ribs - try them... you may never eat a "wet rib" again.

Charles Vergos' Rendezvous :: The Restaurant

While you are down town, time your visit to catch the marching ducks across the street in the Peabody Hotel Lobby. Spend some time in the lobby people watching... one of my favorite pastimes and a great place to do it.

Downtown Memphis Hotels & Accommodations in Downtown Memphis Tennessee - The Peabody Memphis

You also have Beale Street and all of the clubs there.

Welcome to World Famous Beale Street, Home of the Blues...Birthplace of Rock N' Roll - Homepage

Catch a Memphis Grizzlies game or U of M game (still Memphis State to me) at the FedEx Forum - also downtown. The Conference USA tournament will be held there.

THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

FedExForum - Home of the Memphis Grizzlies

If you are a true rock and roll fan, don't miss the Sun Studio.

Welcome. The Official Site for Sun Studio. The Birthplace of Rock N' Roll and Home to the "Million Dollar Quartet" - Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Carl Perkins.

I could go on...

Last one is unusual:

The Metal Museum - it isn’t just a place where art is displayed; it’s a place where art is made

Have fun!
Between 'steams...
reday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Warning!

I almost forgot...

When parking downtown, watch out for a man posing as a parking lot attendant asking for a fee of "Five Dolla Please". Most lots are unattended with a box to deposit your money. You generally find this man standing so that he is blocking your view of the the sign explaining this procedure...

While we are at it, you have probably seen similar lists for other cities, but this one is so true. The list is somewhat dated... it is a shame that you can not see the Pyramid... There is talk of Bass Pro leasing it.

Last, there is an alternate pronunciation for Memphis found below. It is "Mum-fuss".

THE MEMPHIS WE ALL KNOW

1. Downtown Memphis is comprised entirely of one-way streets. The only way to get out of downtown Memphis is to turn around and start over when you reach Arkansas or Mississippi.

2. All directions start with, "Go down I-240..."

3. I-240 has no beginning and no end.

4. Coca-Cola is bottled in Memphis. That's all we drink here, so don't ask for any other soft drink. And, by the way, it's pronounced "Co'Cola".

5. Memphians only know their way home and their way to work.

6. Gate One at the Airport is 32 miles away from the Main Concourse.

7. It's impossible to go around a block and wind up on the street you started on. The Chamber of Commerce calls it a "scenic drive".

8. The 8 a.m. rush hour is from 6:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. The 5:00 p.m rush hour is from 3:30p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday morning.

9. Reversible Lanes (for example, Union Avenue) are not understood by anybody.

10. "Sir" and "Ma'am" are used by the person speaking to you if there's a remote possibility that you're at least 30 minutes older than they are.

11. "Sugar" is a more common form of address than "Miss". So is "Honey".

12. "Presley" can only be properly pronounced by a native Memphian, so do not attempt the pronunciation. People will simply tilt their heads to the right and stare at you with their mouths open.

13. The falling of one raindrop causes all traffic to immediately come to a screeching halt. So will Daylight Saving Time, a girl applying eye shadow across the street, or a flat tire three lanes over. Should (God forbid) one snowflake fall in Memphis, all drivers on the roads immediately lose any ability to control a car. Or, if in a pickup truck or SUV, they will drive as though the roads are dry.

14. If you're standing on a corner and a Metro Bus stops, you're expected to get on and go somewhere - although no one actually knows where the buses go.

15. Memphis is pronounced "MEM'-fus".

16. Construction on I-240 is perpetual, a way of life, and a permanent for of entertainment for the road construction companies.

17. Construction crews aren't doing their job properly unless they close down all lanes except one during rush hour.

18. Memphis' traffic is the friendliest around. The commuters spend hours mingling with each other twice a day. In fact, Memphis' traffic is rated number 1 in the country. You will often see people parked beside the road and engaged in lively discussions.

19. I-240 is the southern equivalent of the Autobahn. You will rarely see a semi-truck on I-240, because the truck drivers are intimidated by the oversized SUV-wielding housewives racing home after a grueling day at the salon or the tennis match to meet their children at the school bus.

20. The 95 pound woman driving the Ford Excursion (the largest vehicle ever produced in the world) absolutely MUST come to a complete stop, then proceed at 2.5 mph over any railroad track. Let's face it, this vehicle was built to invade small countries, and she's worried about the darn railroad tracks!!!

21. Hard and fast rule of the road in Memphis: Never use your turn indictor when changing lanes on any freeway. Use it randomly on surface streets.

22. Pedestrians in Memphis have the right-of-way....but it is a driver's duty to take out the pedestrian when crossing the street.

23. The parking lots at all the malls rotate once every hour, thus ensuring that visitors will be unable to find their cars.

24. Most native Memphians do not know how to get around downtown.

25. Even though I-240 is known as a "loop", you cannot drive the entire circumference of the loop without taking several exits.

26. Even though it is the largest indoor arena in the region, there is no easy way to reach The Pyramid. You must drive under a series of interstate off-ramps and through the back of a concrete company in order to park. Once you reach the building, you must climb up dozens of steps, even if your seats
are at floor level, which means you will be climbing back DOWN dozens of steps after entering the arena.

27. A typical set of Midtown directions may include, "take North Parkway East until you reach East Parkway, then take East Parkway South until you reach South Parkway, then take South Parkway West until you reach..."

28. If you drive South from Shady Grove Road, you will end up on Ridgeway Road without taking any turns. If you continue South, you will eventually be on Hickory Hill Blvd, again without taking any turns. However, Ridgeway Road will be parallel to you about a mile to the East. Memphis' street names
change without warning.

Just go to Winchester Road out East, and try to distinguish between the intersections of Germantown Road, Old Germantown Road, and Germantown Road Extended/Riverdale.

29. There is an intersection of two streets near Midtown. The "two" streets are Summer Avenue, North Parkway, Trezevant Blvd., and East Parkway.

Again, names change at random. This situation (two intersecting streets with Four names) is not atypical.

30. Native Memphians cannot distinguish between the Mississippi River bridge named "Memphis-Arkansas Bridge" and "Hernando DeSoto Bridge". Nor can they distinguish between the "I-55 Bridge" and the "I-40 Bridge". They are ONLY known locally as the "Old Bridge" and the "New Bridge" (even though the "New Bridge" is almost thirty years old).
Between 'steams...
Old 02-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Central Barbeque

We travel to Memphis frequently and have found one barbeque place that beats the Rendevous, Corkys, and several others. It is Central Barbeque located on Central Avenue--you can google for their street address. Their ribs are better than any we have found anywhere in our travels. If you like fried chicken there is a place downtown near Beale street called Gus's Fried Chicken. Depending what time you go you might have a short wait but I can assure you, it's worth it. Enjoy.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Thanks y'all. Yum, ribs, cold beer, and good blues!! I'm in for a great spring break. Our son is majoring in linguistics, and his chair finds Elvis' pronunciation of "Memphis" intriguing enough to tell him we should go to Graceland just for that.

Reday, thanks for the description of the roads and highways. Got quite a grin. The businesses here in San Antonio close down, along with most roads, when there's the least bit of sleet or just a hint of snow. I should feel right at home.

Thanks again everyone.

________Tom

Old 02-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
REDAY has it all covered. Do it all if you can and you won't be sorry.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Mumfuss in May

Tom,

Mumfuss... You practice saying that by trying to condense it into a single syllable along with minimal movement of your lips.

You may want to consider a return trip in the spring for Memphis in May...
The month includes the Beale Street Music Festival and the World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest.

Welcome to the website of Memphis in May International Festival

A comment on Wolverine' BBQ recommendations. If you do a Google search on places where you can eat it in Memphis, you will get pages... you do not want to be a pig or chicken in that city. They all could not stay in business if they were not good. Central has excellent Q... you can't go wrong there either.

Discussing Bar-B-Q can be like arguing politics or religion - everyone has an opinion and sometimes it can be counter productive to even start. At least we are not dealing with regional differences like between Texas or Carolina.

Rendezvous may not be at the top of everyones list, but it has history and atmosphere as a huge plus. It should be considered a part of the downtown experience... at least once.

Again, have fun, enjoy the food and wash it down with a cold one for me!
Between 'steams...
Old 02-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Rendezvous was quite good, and I liked Corky's too. Next time I go I'll try Central.

Wet vs. Dry in Memphis can start a Holy War. I'll say I like 'em both and leave it at that.

Of course here in Texas, BBQ = Brisket, but like reday said, we probably shouldn't even venture into those regional differences.

Have fun on your trip, it's a great town.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:03 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Yes, it's going to be a good time. My poor working wife has given me orders to bring some ribs back. If I can get them as far as Texas she'll get some.
I'll be emailing these posts to our son so he can arrange our itinerary around his workload.

Another question. The bus system. How good is it? Since our son has no wheels he's considering a bus card, but he's heard that the routes are confusing with multiple transfers. I told him to just look on it as if he was driving across town during rush hour - if he want's to go somewhere he just adds the trip as part of the adventure. He's trying to limit the amount of student loans he takes out by stretching his savings as far as he can. You just can't find fault with him on this point. We just don't want him to see Memphis as just his apartment and the campus. Maybe after he gets a taste he'll take the plunge and part with some of his hard earned savings a bit.

Once again, a very big thank you to all for the great suggestions.

________Tom

Old 02-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Bus?

Can't help there. Last time I rode one in Memphis, they were powered by overhead wires....
Between 'steams...
Old 02-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Memphis Transit System

See this link for a pdf of the bus routes in Memphis--hope this helps.

MataTransit | Memphis, TN

As far as getting ribs home to your wife, most of the better known restaurants will ship them although that is usually a pricey option. Since they're smoked already you should be able to throw them in the trunk and get them home just fine.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Ribs...

The link to the Rendezvous website above, it will take you to their "hogsfly" site where you can have their ribs shipped to you by FedEx... I can understand the problem of driving back to Texas and smelling those ribs every time you opened the fridge. They probably wouldn't make it past Little Rock with me.

Another thing to consider is buying some of the dry rub and smoking your own when you get back. Just about every shack that cooks dry ribs sells their rub to go as well (including Rendezvous).

I was given the "recipe" for Rendezvous rub several years ago. It had some credibility since the person that gave it to me was a member of the family that supplied the restaurant with its chickens. It was very good, but a lot of trouble - part of which was paring it down from restaurant size to kitchen size. I now just buy their rub from the grocery.

You can find the rub from several sources on line, or you can make up your own from different recipes found on the net. If it has celery seed, powder or flakes you have found one that might approximate the real thing. I would always cook as much as I could get in the smoker. They freeze well and taste great warmed up in the microwave.

Looks like we are going to have a break in this cold weather over the next few days... I am going to have to cook up a batch after all this talk!
Between 'steams...
Old 02-06-2009, 08:48 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
That's the trouble with talking about food. I try very hard to not talk, or even think, about Mexican food or Ice Cream. Two very major weaknesses that I have.

I've had my fill of winter; it's dropped below freezing here about 5 times so far. Living the major part of my life in South Central Texas has managed to keep me from appreciating snow - unless it's on TV. Just hoping for good weather in Memphis.

______Tom