Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2019, 08:07 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Thanks to all for the nice comments. Age has brought me patience, if not wisdom; and life has given me experience and resources - but when it comes to Airstreaming, I got most of those here on the Forum...

Thanks to all of you for sharing both over the years!
Old 05-09-2019, 08:32 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
In retrospect, I think the part that annoys me the most is the fact that every diesel mechanic told us that the DEF systems have been the Achilles Heel of diesels since they were mandated by the Feds. The systems were not well engineered and had little testing before being put on all these truck engines. If they, in fact, pollute less than I will support that objective. But, if they are that critical that you are only given 150 notice of engine disablement - why are they only warranted for 5 years? And who came up with a 150 mile range? Considering how many of these trucks are used in long distance hauling - commercially, as well as RVs - why not a 1,000 mile death count? The failure of the DEF pump was not a critical event, in terms of safety or drive-ability; just some arbitrary decision by an auto exec or government bureaucrat who obviously have never been stranded on the side of an interstate for a week. I have an issue when my $70,000 pickup has been programmed to die in 150 miles over a minor malfunction. When/where will this happen again? I understand now why so many are going the "delete" route once their diesel is off warranty. DEF systems are a ticking time bomb in every truck in which they are installed. The industry and government could do much better by we consumers than they have done. Rant over; adventure continues...
Old 05-10-2019, 06:46 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Miami , Florida
Glad everything worked out for you. As a new (to me 2017) Ram Cummins diesel owner I am now sort of regretting I went diesel. Sort of because it's an awesome vehicle otherwise. I will now get a list of all Ram dealers who service diesels on any route I will take in the future. And as you stated I now understand why people delete the DEF system.
pianolaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Woodchuck = CAN DO!
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:00 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
It has been a rough spring in Vicksburg, Pemberton Blvd is under water so much they should just stock it with fish and charge a fee. Co-workers are building a house at Thompson lake and have been boating to the build site for a couple of months now.
I hope your travels go smooth.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:05 PM   #26
Our "S" peeled off

2012 30' Classic
Topeka , Kansas
Deaf DEF

I understand your concerns about the DEF. I also would support if it really helped the environment. But that is also why I am old school - 2001 5.9 with six speed. Pulls a 30 foot classic without looking back.

Well done, old Soldier!
Airtream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:25 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
HiHoAgRV, My neighbors have been reporting the home weather to us regularly - downpours, thunderstorms and tornadoes - what a Spring!

It's been cold and *very* rainy here in the northeast, can't get much done - but no tornadoes! ;-)
Old 05-13-2019, 03:27 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Airtream, our former TV was my 2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins with 5 speed stick. I can't tell you how many times over the duration of this adventure that I bemoaned the fact that I traded up to a new one! That drivetrain, with proper maintenance, is eternal!
Old 05-21-2019, 12:27 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
That's quite the adventure and to get through those you have to have a good attitude and take it all in stride.
Can you comment any more on the rental truck? How was the towing besides the high revving gas motor? Did it hold any going down hills? Other?
The reason I ask is that if I ever replace my current diesel I may go gas. The newer 8 and 10 speed transmissions may make sense to go gas in the future.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:13 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
That's quite the adventure and to get through those you have to have a good attitude and take it all in stride.
Can you comment any more on the rental truck? How was the towing besides the high revving gas motor? Did it hold any going down hills? Other?
The reason I ask is that if I ever replace my current diesel I may go gas. The newer 8 and 10 speed transmissions may make sense to go gas in the future.

The 2019 Ram 2500 I rented from Enterprise did a fair job. As mentioned previously, the biggest difference between the big Hemi and my Cummins was the roar and high rev going uphill and the lack of the engine brake going downhill. It also seemed weird driving/towing with an automatic transmission, as all my trucks have always been stick shifts. But the handling was stable and felt controlled (I used my Equal-i-zer/AirSafe combo hitch, so I had WD and sway control). All in all, it served as a good TV, right off the lot. I was even surprised that it only got around 2.5 mpg less than my diesel over the 350 mile haul (12 mpg on the gasser, I usually get 14.5 on my Cummins). If they keep making our diesels implode, I think the Hemi-powered Rams would be a viable alternative...
Old 05-22-2019, 11:16 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
I also installed my new Husky Super Brute 5000 power jack yesterday - so we are back to "all systems go"!
Old 05-23-2019, 07:10 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiredneck View Post
I also installed my new Husky Super Brute 5000 power jack yesterday - so we are back to "all systems go"!

Thanks for the info on the gas truck.

Is your new Husky jack any slower or the same speed as the old Barker jack?
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:18 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Thanks for the info on the gas truck.

Is your new Husky jack any slower or the same speed as the old Barker jack?

It seems just a tad slower. But not anywhere near as slow as the hand crank on the Barker, which was the previous situation...
Old 05-25-2019, 02:39 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
8 azjlla

M scca
Inspired2Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:32 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired2Fly View Post
8 azjlla

M scca

?????
Old 05-26-2019, 07:09 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Haha... sorry my friend. I was doing yard work yesterday & had phone in pocket. I see it swiped to Airforums & dropped some nonsensical characters. What next -- a pizza order will so up without my knowing :-)
Inspired2Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:28 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
...and here I was thinking it was some sort of secret Airstream code.