Old 08-19-2003, 11:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Exclamation Tight squeezes~!

Just thought I'd mention this bit of info for all you "Wide Body" owners~:

As Airstreamers, it's in our blood to travel.."That's a given."

While traveling back from Va Beach, Va. yesterday, I took the northern route of choice for hauling my A/S back home.

After getting off of the NJ Turnpike at exit 11, I turned onto the Garden State Parkway...It was 4 am and, the traffic was next to nothing~! (Nice time of the day to travel~!)
Upon coming to the very first toll booth, it became very apparent that this was going to be a TIGHT Squeeze~!!
The problem seems to be the coin basket~Sticks out way too far..lol
Since my unit just made it..with hardly little room at all~I'd say, if you have a wide body A/S, those extra 6 inches just won't make it..That's my take..I'm wondering if anyone else on here with a wide-body A/S has ever gone that way??
If you haven't, then it just may be the trip to avoid~

ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 11:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
ciao,

Our trailer is just a regular width and I sometimes go to the far right lane when going through a toll booth. I've went through the regular isles but it really seems like a tight squeeze for me as well.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 12:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
yep, that might be the ans...

Silvertwinky

That just might be the ans..by going to the far right hand lane.

Since the few cars that I did see were in such a rush...I stayed in the far left lane because of the exact change passage and, not having a EZ- pass sticker.
(I swear one of these days, I'm gonna get a EZ-pass sticker..)

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 08-20-2003, 05:49 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
tight squeeze.

Vern,

The Garden State is tough. With our wide body I figure that if the mirrors make it, so will the AS. I do have to admit though I do have a serious case of pucker while on the GS. When we get to NY I usually have to pull the wedgie for a more comfortable ride.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:34 AM   #5
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I've not been through the toll at exit 11 but two years ago I drove a SOB diesel pusher up the NJ Turnpike and through the toll on the George Washington Bridge. I could not believe how tight it was. I was paying very close attention to keeping the left mirror away fom those steel columns (about 12" away) and heard a loud "snap"! I looked right to see my passenger mirror was gone! Luckily it was still hanging onto the RV by the wiring harness! Luckily my wife opens the window and held the mirror (all the way to CT). Let's just say it was one of the more stressful moments in our marriage. In thinking about this incident (a lot) I should've gone through the wide load toll lane to the right side of the plaza. The problem was my first time through in a MH and there was so much traffic going into the toll that I just stayed in my lane. Had I know how tight the lanes were I would have started to move over a mile out from the plaza.

Now fast forward to a few weeks ago and we did the same trip in the 345. We were both a little nervous aout going through again in a MH but the AS breezed through through the toll with clearance to spare.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 06:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Good Show~

markjoandall

Forgot all about you going that way too!~

I have to say that getting off at exit 163 on the GS Parkway, picking up Rt 17 North to NY I-87, and, then I-84 East, was one of the best moves I've made in my trip runs to/from Va Beach..
This revised route may add, 30 miles additional travel distance..
If that`!

ANYTHING to avoid that farce around the T Zee Bridge.

BTW, Mark..We have a grand total count for the Buddy Rally in Sept., of 13..With a possible one more in the mail..(?)
Additionally, this past Tue morning, I drove the A/S over to Bedford, to have the est. done for the Natural Cork flooring..It's scheduled for mid-Sept..
DARN~! Gonna miss showing it off at the Rally...lol
I have the A/S all setup at the Rally site now..
Doing an extented vacation..plus, walk thru of all the sites, etc.
Looks like we'll have a Official AF film on the site's 40 year history in addition to the tour I'll be conducting of the Tracking Station on Sat, Sept 6th.
Give me a ring when you get a chance..I'll be at the A/S all week...

ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 09-23-2003, 03:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Regular....

Hi Guys....
SilverT, U mention " REGULAR "...well it's kinda strange 4us 2 grasp that sayin, as every time we went 2 Fl:, we asked for "R", and we got HUGE portions, or guzzlin gallons...
How do U size a " REGULAR " item, what is a HUGE MACK, besides a big truck...so cars are Un-Regular, A/Ss are " REGULAR " and the rest are OVER-REGULAR...oh it's too complicated 4 me...lol ...
Quite funny realy, U drive all those miles, no problems at all, then when U stop to pay for a toll...U can't fit through...and it turns out to b the most rememberable part of the whole trip...
Seems to me , that as U drive on the RIGHT...( SAY NO MORE )
why NOT stay RIGHT...lol.
Glad U enjoyed Yr trip '53, hope U'll put some fotos on...cheers...Chris.....
Old 09-23-2003, 04:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Rivet Just as you...

canny_banjo_man
Just a thought, as you asked about fotos..Have you seen the "collections of fotos posted on the thread, "finally, got started~"??
I've started to polish the A/S and, with several others..sharing the experiences of what works etc.
Sitting here sipping my first cup of coffee and, thinking about the first time I went to a NE Dinner..as I sit down at the counter, the waitress asked if I wanted regular coffee...lol, hadn't thought about in YEARS..at the time, I always had coffee with cream/sugar. Not knowing what she meant, I just said regular with cream/sugar...lmao
Well, I'm off to get back to the trailer as we're expecting some rain this morning..I wanta be there to snap some pictures of the A/S to see how the wax Iput on hold up the finished polished panels..
cheers to you and family~!

ciao
T7
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 09-23-2003, 04:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
T7...

Hi '53-T7...
I DID ( honestly )...start to look at the fotof on this fantastic site...but one thing caught my eye an I soon found myself imitating sheep...LOL...SORRY, I have 6 days out of work as from friday....so I WILL make time to look at ALL of the fotos...
U must be a soul for work, Y'll polish that A/S away one of these days...I pollished my car last week...and it rained not long after...HORROR...it looked like a bucket of white-wash had been poured all over her... So I used my REGULAR, ( I'm converted ) car shampoo...and all is well, now the rain stands on her like tiny glass beads...
Talking of rain...is it NOISY in an A/S when it rains hard or is it noise proof...?...
Enjoy what You doin...Chris.....
Old 09-23-2003, 05:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Talking of rain...is it NOISY in an A/S when it rains hard or is it noise proof...?
It's noisy, but in a good way. Have you ever slept in a house with a tin roof during a rain storm? Very peaceful in a white noise kind of way.

Now during a huge storm is something else! But a really big storm is even loud in our wheel-less home.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:53 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Well yes our tolls are pretty narrow but if you have EZ pass - like us - it's a breeze because the right lane is nice and roomy!

If you like the squeezies try taking your AS to Brooklyn...that was scary!
Old 09-23-2003, 10:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Moving targets

Tight squeezes don't have to be fixed objects. This morning, I was following a pilot car through a stretch of TX 71 that was being repaved. The paving machine overhung the left lane and an empty asphalt truck started rolling on my right just as I came even with him. Thank goodness I have an 8' wide trailer because I don't think a wide body would have made it through. My right-hand mirror nearly hooked the asphalt truck's mirror.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 01:11 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Pilot..

Pahaska....
Gooooooood morning toooooo U... .
If the A/S was designed from the body of an aircraft ? .
what is a PILOT CAR...it would'nt b anything 2do with the Guy still sitting at the controls whilst the A/S was being developed around him, !!!..U got me there "P"...lol, I've heard of certain cars being put 2gether from left over slot machine parts...but I can't work the PILOT one out...
What do U call an 8 foot wide trailer...REGULAR or extra regular ???... .
Have a nice safe day2day...Chris.....
Old 09-25-2003, 07:36 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Chris

A pilot car is used when a 2-lane highway is reduced to one lane for a considerable distance; in this case to resurface one of the lanes. The pilot car leads a procession of vehicles through the area at a controlled speed and then turns around to lead waiting vehicles back in the other direction.

In my case, the other day, the one-lane stretch was about 3 miles.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote