Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Talking Thoughts on this route?

Howdy Friends. On or about Sept 8th my wife and I, plus our small dog will be taking our AS for our first long trip, about 18 days. We will be leaving the SF Bay area on I80, across Nevada, then past Salt Lake City. From that area we are looking for a interesting route on up to the Grand Tetons, where we will stay a few days. Then, hope to find a scenic route South to Colorado. Then cross Colorado and into New Mexico to visit the Taos area. From there I guess we will be taking I 40 going West to re-enter California. Anyone visit these areas recently? Looking for scenic roads, and don't feel like pushing our daily driving to the limit. In New Mexico it would be nice to find a nice home base for some exploring for 3-4 days like we will be using the Grand Tetons. Unhitch the TV and take short drives, walks etc. Any ideas? Is this to much driving in 18 days? Thanks for your help. Just a side note, I am a ham radio operator, will be operating on HF with a QRP rig. Our AS is a 22' International, CCD.Jim
J Goertzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
What's your total mileage for the trip? 300 miles a day is a fair starting point to avoid zombie miles. With good rest, weather and mechanicals I might attempt a 500 mile day but I sure wouldn't string those together! We recently did a 12 day road trip where the longest day was 390 miles. I was pretty cranked out at the end of that one.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Well, shucks, I know this rv park in Angel Fire that loves Airstreamers, especially WBCCI Airstreamers!

Truthfully, my suggestion is to do just a little more snooping on just what you want to see and do here in northern New Mexico, which itself is a pretty big area to cover. There's plenty of it, more than you could possibly cram into a few days. Anyway, so once you come up with a geographically somewhat more restricted list of things to see and so in this part of the state, check back here, and I'll suggest some decent campgrounds, to your specs on type.

Lynn
Old 06-19-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Good luck on your trip, Jim! We'll be set up for Field Day in Bozeman. Maybe try and give us a call. I'm not sure if we'll be operating with the Club call sign (WB8RC) or not. My personal call's below. Be sure to stop in Ouray, CO! Beautiful area there.
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Nevada route...

Hello,

Sounds like a big trip to me! Hope you have a great time~ My personal thoughts on driving interstate 80 across Nevada are this: one time is once too many...

If I were you I would go Highway 50 across Nevada. Depending on how many days you plan on driving/staying in the area. Just outside of Austin is a great free campground with flush toilets and water, The NFS Bob Scott Campground. Along the way are some cool petroglyphs if you off road (dirt road, actually) a bit, and towards the border is the wonderful Great Basin National Park. There are other sites along the way. This route 50 is known as the "lonliest road" it is at higher elevation than Interstate 80 and is usually cooler in the summer, little traffic. The only disadvantage is towns are few and far between, but then I-80 isn't a mecca for cities...

Once you get to Utah you can zoom right up to Provo and SLC. Or, if you want to avoid SLC (I would ~ traffic is icky) see what routes thru Idaho you might like.

Otherwise you could avoid Nevada all together and go into Oregon and across to Idaho. Lots of nice things to see and places along the way if you haven't travelled that way... Besides Oregon doesn't have a gas tax like California and prices are much better...

I am sure others have suggestions on different parts of the trip...

Enjoy your vacation!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
My new blog: Yreka History
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I am with CaddyGrn on taking 50. We lived in the Carson City area for 8 years and saw as much of Nevada as we could. 80 is a grind...at least it was in the 80s and I bet it hasn't improved. 50 has many interesting places to explore. I might mention the caves (can't remember the name) on the border with Utah. The other thing with 50 is you won't have the 'crowds' at your stops like you would on 80.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:37 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

WOW! I am getting great responces. Actually HWY 50 across Nevada is about our favorite hwy, I forgot that it is a higher elevation, thus cooler, so will no doubt take it. Anyone out there in AS Land stay at any RV parks in Fallon recently they would recomend?? Are....a RV park in Ely, or, the small one in Baker Nevada?? Liked the info on the Bob Scott campground outside of Austin Nevada. I have looked around there frequently, but never camped, seemed like the ideal place for star gazing. Anyone have comments on Hwy 89 into Jackson Wyo and Hwy 297 leaving the Grand Tetons to Rawlins Wyo and any RV Park in Rawlins?? Thanks everyone, Jimi
J Goertzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Highway 50 really is cool! We drove it last fall coming from Carson City (Minden) over into Utah. (Too bad that we were without the Airstream for the trip, but it was a quickie, high-speed trip there and back here, just not suited to leisurely travel.)

Lynn
Old 06-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Ditto Angel Fire.

If you really want to get away from it all Valle Vidal between Questa and Cimarron, but it's 25 miles in on dirt roads. More than worth the bumpy roads.

Sugarite Canyon and Villanueva State Parks are beautiful and have good roads.

Turquioise Trail on 14 in Cedarcrest and Enchanted Trails off I-40 9 miles w of Abq owners are vintage trailer owners. Enchanted Trails is next to a Camping World.

Then of course is my yard in Estancia, the heart of New Mexico.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:40 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Sun Valley , Idaho
If this were my journey I would head for Jordenelle St. Park out of Park City, Ut. then head N. out of Kamas on hwy 150 to Evanston. Many lakes & camp sites on 150. If you don't camp there head N. to Bear Lake for a nice camp at the St. Pk. On to Jackson by way of Montpelier. Out of Jackson is a favorite Camp Ground called Gros Ventre. Huge trees and lots of wildlife. Make a loop back from Hoback Junction to Cora and down to
Green river or Rock Springs. Head S. on 191 to Flaming Gorge. There are many places to camp here or if you want to go on there are two St. Pks N side of Vernal. Then head E on 40 and go through Dinosaur Nat'l Mon. out
of Jensen. Then continue E on 40 to Steamboat Springs and stay at Stagecouch St Pk off hwy 131. From "the boat" head over the pass to Kremling and S. to Silverthorne & Dillon. Catch 70 for a short way & on to
Leadville and down to Buena Vista & Salida. Salida a darling town and great for lunch. Many campsites on the Arkansas river. Onward to New Mexico. Taos & Santa Fe then over to AZ. Grand Canyon Zion Sooooo much to see & do You might want to go on campgroundreviews.com if you
prefer RV parks, we like to "camp out". To back up a little there is a nice KOA in Ely and you will find the cheapest gas at that end of town. I think it is the Sinclair station. Happy Trails and may you always have a tail wind. Betty. PS. If you have the time from Santa Fe or Taos head to Chama and take the Train ride. From there to Pagosa Springs & Durango
(another train ride). Head to the four corners and many choices of routes back to Ca.
Bettymsb is offline   Reply With Quote