Old 10-12-2015, 10:03 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Alan, I agree and do that. The problem that I had was that the Canadian gas pump required a PIN code for my credit card. My debit card has a PIN code but I never had a code for my credit card. My credit card company simply added my requested PIN and the card worked fine in Canada after that.
Larry

Old 10-12-2015, 10:07 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
No Tundras pulling Airstreams on your recent long trip?

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:28 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . Hey Interblog, that Verizon int'l calling plan cost me $25/mo for 100 minutes & 1 gig of data, I heard others who claimed better deals, but that was all Verizon offered me. I, too just started pumping gas & then went in & paid. Not allowed in my 'hood ! I also alerted cc company (& my bank) that I was traveling out of country, so had no problems there. travel safe, Craig
Old 10-12-2015, 11:12 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Not a single Tundra with an AS, plenty with SOB's
Larry
Old 10-12-2015, 02:48 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Little Rock , Arkansas
Our first long trip was probably too long....

We just spent 4 nights in Slidell, LA, which was the closest we could get to Gulf Port for Cruising the Coast. Slidell is 450 miles from our home in AR. We have a 28ft Excella Classic and this was our first long haul. We drove each way in a single day. My husband is still asleep! (He refuses to let me drive the Ford 350 4X4 extended cab/long wheel base. So the entire length is a bit over 50ft.) We learned a good(?) lesson. However, splitting up 450 miles seems like too much trouble to me. We drive to FL every year and make it in one looong day but no big deal. Hauling a big trailer is another story though.
He also refused to stop and get out and walk around, preferring to "just get home!" so some of it is his doing, but I will heed your good advice for 250 miles a day as much as possible but it seems like it would take a long time to get very far. Obviously, we will be tweaking our driving arrangements in future. I love this forum because I always learn a lot.
BTW, we NEVER saw another AS the whole time we were gone--neither on the road nor parked along HiWay 90. I was very surprised because there were tons of other brands. We want to camp closer next year and may be the only AS there!
Old 10-12-2015, 04:52 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillpine View Post
We just spent 4 nights in Slidell, LA, which was the closest we could get to Gulf Port for Cruising the Coast. Slidell is 450 miles from our home in AR. We have a 28ft Excella Classic and this was our first long haul. We drove each way in a single day. My husband is still asleep! (He refuses to let me drive the Ford 350 4X4 extended cab/long wheel base. So the entire length is a bit over 50ft.) We learned a good(?) lesson. However, splitting up 450 miles seems like too much trouble to me. We drive to FL every year and make it in one looong day but no big deal. Hauling a big trailer is another story though.
He also refused to stop and get out and walk around, preferring to "just get home!" so some of it is his doing, but I will heed your good advice for 250 miles a day as much as possible but it seems like it would take a long time to get very far. Obviously, we will be tweaking our driving arrangements in future. I love this forum because I always learn a lot.
BTW, we NEVER saw another AS the whole time we were gone--neither on the road nor parked along HiWay 90. I was very surprised because there were tons of other brands. We want to camp closer next year and may be the only AS there!
So how was Cruising the Coast. I attended that event in the past, prior to the hurricane, but haven't been back to that area for years. The car show was one of the best.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:41 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinManGa View Post
Hi from AZ. . . Hey Interblog, that Verizon int'l calling plan cost me $25/mo for 100 minutes & 1 gig of data, I heard others who claimed better deals, but that was all Verizon offered me. I, too just started pumping gas & then went in & paid. Not allowed in my 'hood ! I also alerted cc company (& my bank) that I was traveling out of country, so had no problems there. travel safe, Craig
My Verizon plan may be grandfathered or something (I signed up for it about 5 years ago). It includes calls but zero data, which would explain the low price. Heaven help anyone who tries to use data in Canada. The prices are outrageous.

Texting in Canada is also very cheap with my plan. Something like ten cents to send and twenty cents to receive. Free unlimited in America, of course, but reduced rates in Canada over what it would be otherwise. I can't remember the details.

While in Canada this past August, we witnessed all manner of hell with credit cards. Some of it relates to the switch that American providers are now making to chipped cards. Canada has used that technology for years, but it's just getting underway here. Even in America at this point, if you swipe a card that you're now supposed to insert for a chip read instead, you get problems.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:01 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Little Rock , Arkansas
It was our first time at Cruising the Coast so we didn't really know where to go or how it all worked, but we found a place on the beach beside the road and just watched the cool cars, trucks, and motorcycles go by. Friday night was better than Saturday night. Eleven miles of party party party. My best advice is to find a place near a Waffle House; they are very liberal with their facilities and cheerful about it also. (Other businesses probably are as well, but we happened to be close to WH both nights and not only enjoyed the waffles but utilized the facilities.) Don't be in a hurry because the traffic is horrendous as well as colorful! It was fun.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:20 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Tracfone had zero coverage.
What sub-carrier do you use with Tracfone? Just curious. They use Verizon, ATT and TMobile. I read to go with Yak for 3 cents/mintue out of Vancouver or get a FIDO account for 1 year $100 but the phone has to be a GSM phone and unlocked. Yes, I call on credit cards now as "I" was stolen twice er the identity!

We stayed one night at a Cracker Barrel, one night at Courtesy Parking, 2 nights at a City park campground, and the rest at full hookup campgrounds.

I stayed three nights at Pilot J. It was great, especially the one in VA looking over the mountain ridge in the morning from my door.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:30 PM   #38
Rivet Master

My phone uses ATT and I do not pretend to understand their sharing agreement as I do get service everywhere I have been in the USA with it. The Tracfone map pretty clearly shows no coverage in Canada.
Larry
Old 10-17-2015, 12:46 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Yeah, true. I have Straight Talk- the same thing really and ATT. The Yak system is something I believe as an option as it uses a Canadian number. The other option is to get that sim card from FIDO and put it in an unlocked GSM phone.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #40
Rivet Master

I simply bought a FIDO disposable at a grocery while we were there. Allowed us to keep in touch with elderly parent.
Larry
Old 10-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Well, there ya go.

Mobile Phones, Plans, and Awesomeness| Fido

https://www.yak.ca/mobile-long-distance-rates

I cannot vouch for Yak but these are the two options I have seen spoken of on other RV forums.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:52 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2007 28' International CCD
1999 34' Limited
2009 22' Interstate
Woodbury , Minnesota
Ram is fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandmine View Post
Love it!! Useful, although I expected Airstreams to prefer Rams more than reported.
I pull my 28 Sinature with my Ram 1500 Limited. It tows as well as my Siverado 2500 Diesel that I sold.