Old 10-11-2015, 01:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket53 View Post
I also have the F150 Ecoboost. Interested in how you towed through the high elevations. Always in tow/haul or in manual and selected the gears yourself?

Mike
I also have a 2012 F-150 with Eco Boost pulling a 2013 30' International. With a full tank of water and our stuff the trailer weighs in at 6,900 LBS. We have traveled almost exclusively out west through the Rockies crossing every pass out there about 20,000 miles.
You need to keep the TowHaul mode engaged for the turbos to kick in and for the cooling system to work correctly. In the beginning I tried to be slick and work the trans manually and ended up overheating both the engine and trans.
Also you get the engine break to kick in downhill automatically. On smooth roadways I don't use the tow haul because the up shift lags too long.
I have 80,000 miles on my F-150 Platinum and absolutely love it. I have fun kicking it in the butt and passing up hill sometime. I only get out climbed by the 3/4 ton diesel machines. The turbos are excellent at high elevations.
BTW I just love 36 gal. tank even in hard driving I get 300 miles out of a fillup.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Pace , Florida
Enjoyed your post!

We just hauled our 2015 Flying Cloud 23FB on a 3,000 mile trip from Florida, up the Natchez Trace, into Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina and back.

Our TV is a 2014 RAM 1500 with the Pentastar V-6 (gas) engine.

Everything worked flawlessly and we averaged 15 mpg for the entire trip (seriously, I'm not exaggerating). I set the cruise control at 62 mph on interstates.

I will certainly not argue with those who WANT a 3/4 to diesel to pull their Airstreams, but we are very happy with our setup. If we ever move up to a bigger Airstream (something in the 27' or 28' range), we will probably look for a new RAM 1500 with the gas Hemi. Until then, the V-6 gas engine is perfect.

I too have read about all the maintenance issues with Airstreams, but I am happy to report ZERO issues so far.

We are definitely "Happy Campers."

Old 10-11-2015, 01:57 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
We also recdntly completed a trip to PEi and ME (on our way from Seattle to Newfoundland) with a 23 FB. I second the comment about the smoke detector. BUT, we always replace the battery immediately afyer the cooking is done.

WiFi often promised but rarely works. We don't count on it.

We had 3 instances where our tests showed ground and/or reversed polarity. Two CG managers responded positively and one insisted nothing was wrong, but allowed is to relocate our site.

Our Jeep Grand Cherokee (3.0 l) Eco Diesel provided a total overall 16.5 mpg for the 13,700 miles. No problems across the Rockies. Not a Ram, but in the family!

Our experience with fuel in Canada was that you simply pulled up and fueled, then went inside to pay.

I lock my spare tire with a small cable lock. Easy to cut by a determined thief but may deter the casual opportunist, especially when in more visible areas. I also installed locks on propane tanks, rear bumper panel, and battery cover. Seems like something AS should make standard.

Think US Interstates are bad? Try western NL. I bent a tv wheel in a large pothole obscured diring heavy rain. Needed to order a wheel from Toronto. Decided to replace all tires a little early. Cost was considerably higher in Canada - way beyond the currency exchange rate savings.

We enjoyed the mussels ever on PEI!

Atlantic Provinces are wonderful - people, history, scenery, wildlife, topography, and culture. Roads? Not so much.
D2
Old 10-11-2015, 02:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
hi again from AZ. . . I used the towhaul on downhills always. not so much up hill. Rarely used CC, and had no overheating issues. The only reservations we used were very popular places (Denali NP) & holiday weekends (4th of July). . .60mph was usual, maybe 65 on decent interstates. . .Our trip was over 11k miles.....And a good 12v air compressor is essential, IMO.. . .My '11 Ecoboost now has 72K miles on it. Travel safe, Craig
Old 10-11-2015, 02:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Everything worked flawlessly and we averaged 15 mpg for the entire trip (seriously, I'm not exaggerating). I set the cruise control at 62 mph on interstates.
You did well. I drove from Fort Myers, FL to Jackson Center and averaged 12mpg@69mph average speed (GPS speed figure- I go faster with the 16" LT tires at bit) calculated at the pump in my old truck '09 4.6L 3V V-8 pulling a 25' water tanks and LP full. I was happy with that figure. I expect my new ecoboost 3.5 truck will get the same or perhaps 1 mpg more according to what I have read others have experience though with a lot more power.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Read with interest, thank you. I'm spending the weekend here in Eugene, Oregon in my new-to-me 2013 Flying Cloud in the seller's driveway. Then I'm leaving it here with my TV (2000 Tundra) and flying to California for a wedding...then will be back in a week to do our maiden voyage on the Oregon coast before a 900 mile pull back home. Look forward to providing a trip report.

So far from this weekend, 2 little things:

1. Systems monitor shows no output for Gray Water tank. No light on next to "Gray Water", and pressing the button for a full report on each system skips the Gray Water tank. Not that the reading is inaccurate, there is no reading at all. Ideas?

2. Front burner on 3-burner range won't ignite, had to use a lighter. Other two light up fine. Easy to get to/fix the ignitor?

Peter
Old 10-11-2015, 02:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Stays

We stayed one night at a Cracker Barrel, one night at Courtesy Parking, 2 nights at a City park campground, and the rest at full hookup campgrounds. For Maine, I booked a year ahead. Both of those campgrounds had no vacancies when we arrived so our reservation was prudent. The other campgrounds took my payment about 6 months in advance. I am inclined to plan ahead and book ahead. I am happier with the certainty.
Larry
Old 10-11-2015, 04:16 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palestine , Texas
We returned today from a 3800+ mile loop to the east. We've also had not issues with our Ford 150 in the mountains with 12.5 mpg. One or two additions to your list.
1. We saw one AS on the road and three at campgrounds.
2. The more we went to the north, the campgrounds were a little more expensive, but better. Most of what we experienced south of MO, KN, NC, were trashy, dirty and several were just trailer parks with some RV spaces mixed in. An exception was Alexandria RV park near Boyce, Louisiana on LA #1. Small, gravel spaces, fairly new, but everything was clean and the owner was exceptionally nice.
3. Most campgrounds had wifi, but were quite weak.
WBCCI #31443

"Don't follow me.
I've spent my life leading folks astray."
Will_Brule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:59 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserthiker View Post
We are newbies! How far in advance do you make reservations at an RV park? On a long trip do you alternate between RV parks and dry camping at Wallmarts etc?
We rarely make reservations. The only time we do is if we travel during holiday's, which we almost never do, or if we are going to a destination during its peak usage.
In September we traveled 3 weeks about 3,500 miles in NC, VA, WV, PA, NY, NJ, CT, VT, ME, MA, RI, MD, and DC. We did not have a reservation anywhere. We chose our route prior to leaving and selected campgrounds along the way. A few nights we did not follow our travel plans and had to find an unexpected place to spend the night. We had no problem getting a camping spot. There are always options if you are willing to be flexible. DW refuses to use Walmart, Cracker Barrel, etc.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:52 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
13. Smoke alarm is a nuisance, pull the battery.
Use a shower cap to cover the smoke detector in circumstances it might go off when you don't want it to. Consider upgrading to a dual sensor model to replace the cheap one Airstream provides.

Greg
Old 10-12-2015, 05:39 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Read with interest, thank you. I'm spending the weekend here in Eugene, Oregon in my new-to-me 2013 Flying Cloud in the seller's driveway. Then I'm leaving it here with my TV (2000 Tundra) and flying to California for a wedding...then will be back in a week to do our maiden voyage on the Oregon coast before a 900 mile pull back home. Look forward to providing a trip report.

So far from this weekend, 2 little things:

1. Systems monitor shows no output for Gray Water tank. No light on next to "Gray Water", and pressing the button for a full report on each system skips the Gray Water tank. Not that the reading is inaccurate, there is no reading at all. Ideas?

2. Front burner on 3-burner range won't ignite, had to use a lighter. Other two light up fine. Easy to get to/fix the ignitor?

Peter
Glad your purchase worked out. You posted in a more specific forum on the grey water sensor, so I will not reply on that topic here. IMO posting in one thread for a specific issue yields better results. YMMV

I had a similar problem with the front sparker on my Atwood cooktop. The following link should take you to that post, but we should probably start a new topic that applies to the cooktops with the manually rotated sparker knob (assuming that is what you have), and not just 20-footers.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ml#post1687856
Old 10-12-2015, 07:17 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
9. My cell phone did not work in Canada; disposable cell phones there are expensive but useful

Larry
FYI, not sure of your carrier, but I have Verizon with an "international calling plan" (or similar name - they may have changed what they call it since the time when I signed up). The cost of this add-on is surprisingly low, about $4 per month. The purpose of this is to rein in out-of-control roaming charges while in Canada. Traveling through Nova Scotia repeatedly over the past few years, I usually could get service, but not in very remote areas, of course. The cost for calls has hovered around $1 per minute with the plan, and it would be many, *many* times that amount without it. NS and PEI barely have a million residents between them, and I believe they share cell providers, so I would expect to get the same access conditions in PEI.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:09 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
My caution is to simply look into your options with cell phones before you go to Canada. I just did not think of it. I refuse to pay the outrageous fees of a contract cell phone and my Tracfone had zero coverage. I did not even think about it because when I was last in Puerto Rico, it worked fine. Fortunately, I also have ONSTAR and that worked just fine. I had a credit card issue, had to call my credit card company, my cell phone had no coverage, but ONSTAR saved my bacon.
Larry
Old 10-12-2015, 08:41 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I also have had problems with credit cards while traveling. That can be a PITA!!

Charges that occur in a location that is not normal might trigger a security alert. After having a problem two times, I learned that I should let the credit card company know that I will be traveling and tell them the states I will be traveling to, prior to going. Since I started doing this I have had zero issues.