Old 06-28-2007, 10:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Thinking Rt 66

We are thinking about a Route 66 trip during the last half of October but I'm not sure about the weather in Arizona then. Would this be a good time to go or are we going to hit their rainy season?
If it's a good time to go , we are not tied to 66 and are open to suggestions of places to visit and camp there that are dog friendly.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:17 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
66 is an awesome drive in arizona and New Mexico.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
I'll be going down Rt 66 in early Oct. I'll let you know what weather we get. I believe it will moderate temp. The Monsoon season should be over by then.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:49 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Route 66...

...in October should be beautiful! I brought my baby home from Tenn in mid October and the weather was perfect. There are a number of excellent RV sites along the way. Everyone is still trying to keep the route open and rv'ers are a big help. You can always find some tree off the road to stay overnight if you get stuck.

Of course I suggest going from east to west on your trip.
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
I forgot to note where you were before I started my reply. So now I see Illinois. Absolutely perfect. Travel out slowly in the good weather. Run home in the cold.
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:12 AM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
You cant do better for timing. Oct is PERFECT for the south west, warm days and cool nights.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Glad to hear about the weather. We have done 66 twice, once all the way to the Santa Monica pier,and the other time to Santa Rosa, New Mexico. That time we took a right and headed to Colorado when it hit 110 degrees by 10:00am. in New Mexico. Be nice if the gas prices would drop by fall.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:11 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Flagstaff , Arizona
Sounds like a great trip. Oct. should be great although it still can be really hot if you get to the desert. Williams is a cool old town and you really can't go wrong in Flagstaff, AZ where I live.

I don't know if Rt 66 goes to Show Low and to the White Mtns. but at that time of the year it is a worth while detour. The weather is great and there are not a lot of people roaming around. If you go take your fishing pole and make sure you stop in at the outdoor shop in Hon Dah for info on the Apache reservation and for camping and fishing permits.

Have Fun

Flyguy
Old 07-22-2007, 01:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Yeah, October would have been better than late June early July, 1952. That was when Dad, Mom, my brother and I 'immigrated to California from Michigan via Route 66. No AC in this rig!

Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nash and trailer 1952.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	41614  
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:22 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Neil

I just love those old photos and the history with them. Got more?

Rte 66 is a road we traveled in 57 after we did a singing tour down the east coast (including a swing into Nashville to sing at the Grand Ol Opry). I don't remember much of it but my older brother and my sister do. I do remember one very bad road accident with bodies covered with sheets. And a place we were at where there were huge rats that scared the bejabbers out of my sister and I. Weird, I remember the dismal stuff, the others remember all the neat stuff.

Barry
Old 07-22-2007, 08:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Thumbs up Cars

As most of you know, Historic Rt. 66 lost it's glory when the interstate system opened up and Disney's new movie "Cars" revolves around this theme. If you are a fan of cars, NASCAR, Rt. 66, or just like good family entertaiment, I highly recommend this movie.

I will be travelling Rt. 66 this fall when I plan to attend the Balloon Fiesta Rally. I have found that a search on line of Route 66 has valuable information and is a great help in locating those obscure relics that still sparkle just because of someone's passion. Anyone for some cherry cider?

Happy trails
Pop Rivet
Old 07-22-2007, 06:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
You want M0-0-0-RE ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Neil

I just love those old photos and the history with them. Got more?

Barry
More...ok. These pictures are all from our 1952 Rte.66 journey but mostly on the Calif. end. There is a photo of 14 year old ME hooking up the '52 version of a WDH. It was a 'dolly' consistant with what truckers used on double trailer rigs. It was 2 wheels separated by an axle with leaf springs up to the coupler. So the rear of the car did not have to contend with the tongue weight of the trailer. You could not back up with this set up. The trailer we had was a 1950 26' Pan American. The side view of it just barely shows the 'dolly' on the tongue. No holding tanks then. Dry weight was over 5000#. Our car was a big '48 Nash Ambassador. I found a couple of pictures of the 'kids' I met along the way. Most of the trailer parks had transient to permanent residents. Travelers used an 'overnighter' section of the park. We did not stay in any nice camping like trailer parks. Once in Oaklahoma waaaay out in the hot flatlands we got permission to stay parked along side of a gas station and used their restroom. We used the shower in the trailer and let the grey run on the ground. One picture shows my Dad and younger brother. Both are gone now. I used to be very interested in photography. However my darkroom sits quite unused now except for all the negatives of mine and Dad's. His goes back to just before the 1920's. I guess I better git busy and catalog them all. These are a start. I stumbled on them looking for old family pictures for our kids.

Neil and Lynn.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1952..Neil..trailer.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	41646   Click image for larger version

Name:	1952...trailer.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	41647  

Name:	1952...girl in trailer park.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	41648   Click image for larger version

Name:	1952...boy on bike..trailer park.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	41649  

Name:	1952...Roger &  Dad...trailer.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	41650  
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:28 PM   #13
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Route 66

October is usually the most comfortable time for the trip through the Texas part of Route 66. Before you get to Amarillo, Oklahoma has some nice stretches through smaller towns that have "Route 66 Museums." Of course when you get to Amarillo, there is the old part of town, the San Jacinto Area and Cadillac Ranch on the west side of town. It's a couple of miles further west now, since the land increased in value too much and Stanley Marsh III, had it moved. Makes for a nice trip. I have heard of a place called "slab city" much further west, Arizona or maybe California, but never found it. Supposed to be an interesting stop.
Have a good trip,
bill b.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by anholman
More...ok. These pictures are all from our 1952 Rte.66 journey but mostly on the Calif. end. There is a photo of 14 year old ME hooking up the '52 version of a WDH. It was a 'dolly' consistant with what truckers used on double trailer rigs. It was 2 wheels separated by an axle with leaf springs up to the coupler. So the rear of the car did not have to contend with the tongue weight of the trailer. You could not back up with this set up. The trailer we had was a 1950 26' Pan American. The side view of it just barely shows the 'dolly' on the tongue. No holding tanks then. Dry weight was over 5000#. Our car was a big '48 Nash Ambassador. I found a couple of pictures of the 'kids' I met along the way. Most of the trailer parks had transient to permanent residents. Travelers used an 'overnighter' section of the park. We did not stay in any nice camping like trailer parks. Once in Oaklahoma waaaay out in the hot flatlands we got permission to stay parked along side of a gas station and used their restroom. We used the shower in the trailer and let the grey run on the ground. One picture shows my Dad and younger brother. Both are gone now. I used to be very interested in photography. However my darkroom sits quite unused now except for all the negatives of mine and Dad's. His goes back to just before the 1920's. I guess I better git busy and catalog them all. These are a start. I stumbled on them looking for old family pictures for our kids.

Neil and Lynn.
Wow! These are outstanding photos Neil. They bring back a ton of memories of those years and evoke a lot of my own family memories. Thanks for sharing. As you find more you might want to consider posting them in a thread that will let people look back and remember how traveling with a trailer was when Wally was first building them. What is also neat for me is my Airstream is a 1951 so it was being used in the same environment.

Thanks again for sharing - more is always better...

Barry