Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2016, 10:17 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
thinking about a new RV Park in WA State

My wife and I own some acreage in NW washington. It used to be way out in the county. The city of Lynden now borders it on 2 sides and is interested in annexing. We have just been renting 10 acres out to a neighbor who farms. But we have been thinking it might be fun to put in an RV park. So I have a couple of questions for the group at large. Do you think there is a need for a new park in this area? Lynden is about 15 min from the Canadian border near Vancouver. Do you have any idea how we could go about measuring the need? What things do you like and dislike about the parks you go to now? What amenities are important? A good size creek runs along one edge, there are trees along another side and we would add a lot more, there is really good soil but no large trees on the acreage that is being farmed and great views of Mt. Baker. Our thoughts are all spaces pull through with gravel and long enough for most TT and TV rigs, full hook ups, lawn, fire pits, picnic tables and internet. a small playground, store and restroom/shower/laundry facilities. how important is cable TV to most RV'ers by the way? we never use it but I see a lot of people watching TV. I just don't know how many have a system and how many are on cable? thanks for any thoughts
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Consder the cost of the infrastructure. First, you've goota have the sewer connections, with all the trencing and piping. Then, you lay the potable water pipes, probably in a separate trench, or as dictated by your local codes. Then, you lay all the underground electric lines.

Then you've gotta build showers and bathrooms, to commercial code and ADA compliance.

The cable TV will be the least of your issues.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:30 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
yes and roadways, drainage, common area lighting, signeage and many other things. we understand the process.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:33 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2017 30' International
Sun City , Arizona
Is it properly zoned?
Escape_Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I'll be blunt. I'm a western Washington native. I was born in Seattle 73 years ago, and I've seen nearly all of it. However, I've never been to Lynden. I'm guessing because I've never thought of a reason to go there, and it's not on the way to anywhere I've felt like going. In order for a RV park to do well it has to be near or on the way to an attraction of some sort. I'm pretty sure Lynden is a picturesque agricultural area, but so is a lot of western Washington and Southern BC. So before you commit to this, make sure you have a good idea of what the demand is.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:03 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
thank you for your candor. demand is the primary thing I am trying to figure out how to assess.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
I too think building a RV park could become a nice semi retirement business to be in.
I've always enjoyed working with people on vacation and looking for fun.

A lot of good ideas may turn up here about layout, needed facilities etc.

When I first read of your idea I was all " oh yea sign me up as one of your staff.

I traveled up that way last summer and loved it, I am even thinking of moving that way.
At first reading of your description of your place, my mind jumped at the idea that Lynden was near Port Angeles. But no it's way over there on the mainland and very near the border, as you say.

So that Brings me to your real question, the demand.
First off the whole area seems very seasonal. And the frenzy camping wise is on the south west coast of Wa and Or. Seems to lighten a bit as you reach the top of the penensula. But the proximity to the crossing to Victotia and the park's would seem to support more facilities in that area.

Now as to the area you are focused on. Does it enjoy the moderate temps and relative dryness of the Islands and Lee side of the Penensula?
Are there attractions in that area to sustain a reliable flow of guests?
Does the proximity to the border mean that the traffic going that way would be significant enough to support a park in the area.

These are just some of answers you are looking for, surly. Sorry I'm just not familiar enough with that particular area to have meaningful input.

It does seem a bit out of the way, but that may just because I haven't been that way. It could be the perfect stop over for those heading to Alaska.

I'll enjoy following your thread as your idea does interest me.

All the best, Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
One way to get a rough idea of the need is to check out the campgrounds already in the general area, say, within 10 miles of you. How full are they, what do they offer, etc.? They are your competition, after all. Don't just check on the weekends, check midweek, too. Of course, if they are only half full on the weekends you know that there isn't all that much demand.

Since you own an Airstream, you could go visit them yourself and get a better idea. You can talk to other visitors, too, and get their take. Don't say you are thinking of opening a competing park, just ask them what they like and don't like about that park.

Many commercial parks offer long-term sites and rates. Be sure that you have some sites for those people, too. They are the ones that actually pay your bills. The short-term visitors provide your profit.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Personally we prefer the Lynden border crossing over the others west of there.
Many people are not aware there is a crossing in that area. For those entering Canada to see the Rockies and points west but not wanting the hassle of Vancouver this is a good place to cross.
Some people just like to get away from the maddening crowd and don't need attractions geared toward tourists.
You could make a plan for a large RV park when it comes to utilities etc.. But start off small 10 to 20 spaces. And see how it goes. Grow with the demand so to speak.
Good Luck
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:28 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Fidalgo Island , Washington
I'm in Anacortes. Seems to me that when I check the parks are all full up there especially this time of year.
Oregon Ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #11
Matchbox

1999 25' Safari
Surrey , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyV View Post
My wife and I own some acreage in NW washington. It used to be way out in the county. The city of Lynden now borders it on 2 sides and is interested in annexing. We have just been renting 10 acres out to a neighbor who farms. But we have been thinking it might be fun to put in an RV park. So I have a couple of questions for the group at large. Do you think there is a need for a new park in this area? Lynden is about 15 min from the Canadian border near Vancouver. Do you have any idea how we could go about measuring the need? What things do you like and dislike about the parks you go to now? What amenities are important? A good size creek runs along one edge, there are trees along another side and we would add a lot more, there is really good soil but no large trees on the acreage that is being farmed and great views of Mt. Baker. Our thoughts are all spaces pull through with gravel and long enough for most TT and TV rigs, full hook ups, lawn, fire pits, picnic tables and internet. a small playground, store and restroom/shower/laundry facilities. how important is cable TV to most RV'ers by the way? we never use it but I see a lot of people watching TV. I just don't know how many have a system and how many are on cable? thanks for any thoughts
YIPPEE....another place to hold rallies in Northwest Washington...!!! We are part of the BC Unit and have, in past, always held our Installation Rally with North Cascade Unit at the Lynden Fairgrounds. It would be great to have another place to meet. Needs to be met are: WiFI and level grounds..!!! TV is a nice option but would have to be satellite rather than cable (I think). We don't get much TV at the Fairgrounds. I'll be watching for news about your progress -- with great anticipation...!!!
Old 08-07-2016, 01:34 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Mountain View , California
Have you thought of franchising with Premier RV Resorts? We've stayed at several of their campgrounds and even have received an offer of participation from them. They have quality campgrounds and their experience could be quite helpful in your own venture.
John R.
JFRINALDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:06 PM   #13
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Business Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyV View Post
...The city of Lynden now borders it on 2 sides and is interested in annexing. ... Do you think there is a need for a new park in this area? ...
You may want to check with the Lynden Business Development Office and Tourism Office. If you get them on board with your idea they may be able to do a feasibility study for you in conjunction with the state tourism board. Who knows, there may even be business development money available for you - or at the very least tax breaks. There are some advantages to franchising - such as a solid business plan that you can use to talk to the BDO, but a lot of costs that are difficult to recoup. Good Luck!
Old 08-07-2016, 02:32 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Sport
Boise , Idaho
You might get help with market research from Western Washington. Check with the departments of business or marketing to see if they have students interesting in your planning as a research topic...
baldwin6601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:58 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Fresno , California
My wife and I are today heading to the Washington Land Yacht RV Park in Olympia. It is our first trip in that direction from Fresno California. We are new ti Airstream life and new to this forum. We really don't know what to expect about where we are going but should have it sized up this next week.

As for if there is a need for another AS campground....I suppose the more the marrier works for us. If a new park is developed, it should include all the amenities a ditch can hold. If you have to dig a ditch for utilities.... Fill it up with everything while they are open. Use them if you want later but it will never be cheaper to do than now. Build it and they will come....but buuld it so they will want to come back...as for our next two weeks in Olympia....time will tell...for tonight we are in Portland....can't wait to leave in the morning.
ldireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

A park in the Lyndon area would be great. A far easier border crossing site than the mob scene at Blaine. Good comments/suggestions above. You might contact Chuck Woodburry, editor of http://rvtravel.com/. Chuck has been bloging about the increase in RVs and the shortage of parks for months now. He's an Edmonds WA type so knows the area well. His weekly newsletter is a worthwhile read. Will look forward to seeing your park listed on RV Park Reviews!
Good luck
Mike
comprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
This may or may not be relevant ---

My sweetie & I returned a week ago from the national rally in WV & the NW rally in Montana, a 6-week outing. In WV, I spoke with the fellow who is in charge of the 2018 international rally. He told me that the two places he wanted for the rally were Lynden, WA & Redmond, OR, but, as I recall, he said Lynden lacked the facilities necessary for an international rally and Redmond was already booked for the week of the rally. Consequently, he recommended Salem, OR, which was accepted by the AS Board.

Bottomline: Lynden has not gone unnoticed in the AS world.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:45 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
I know there is a nice KOA in Lynden and we have had friends stay there when visiting. It would b interesting to know how their occupancy rate is.
Riverdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:25 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Fresno , California
We personally feel that the parks we visit that offer full time occupancy tend to be those with a lot of run down Micky Mouse teailers and just give us the very unwelcome feeling from those who live there full time. It is like we are invading their teritory. If you are going to have full timers you need to hold them to some pretty strengent rules about how things look. Just saying....
ldireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:44 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
We live in Redmond, WA about 1-1/2 to 2 hours from Lyndon, near my wife's birthplace. We often look for nearby destinations for seasonal shakedown cruises prior to longer trips. In September we plan a trip up the east coast of Vancouver Island. Lyndon would be a great starting point for us. And it might be a destination we would select as a base camp for a day trip to Vancouver, leaving the Airstream in the US. Other trips we plan include Kelowna, Nelson, and other locales (we have done Banff and Jasper). Many great spots in BC!

Lyndon is a very good positioning point for a trip to anywhere in BC. Weather is pleasant and there are many other nearby US destinations worth visiting.
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote