Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Things To See Between Du Quoin and Delaware

We are going to the International Rally in Du Quoin, IL. On the return trip from Du Quoin, IL to Delaware can you suggest any special stops along the way? Thanks, LCP
Old 06-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Things To See Between Du Quoin and Delaware

Greetings LCP!

I can make the following suggestions of things to see within an hour or two or DuQuoin:
  • Lambert's Cafe, Sikeston, MO: This is a taste treat as well as a show to see. There is a long story as to just how the "Throwed Rolls" originated, but it is always a treat to see the diners reaching to catch their dinner rolls. In addition there are several delicious "Pass Arounds" offered to all diners that are a taste of the region's hospitality.
  • Fort Defiance Park, Cairo, IL: Where "The Land Between the Rivers" either begins or ends depening upon your interpretation -- the view of the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers from the platform found in this park is absolutely wonderful. The park's beauty may be hindered by the remnants from this spring's flooding, but if the park is open it is worth the effort to see the view.
  • Shemwell's Barbecue, Cairo, IL: Shemwell's is among the regions oldest barbecues, and they offfer home hickory smoked pork barbecue with their own home-made sauce that is something to sample if you are fond of regional barbecues. Their traditional sandwich is heaped with delicious pork barbecue, special sauce, and home-made chow.
  • Sumperman's Hometown, Metropolis, IL: If you happen to be a fan of Superman -- whether it's the comic book, movie or TV series versions there is something for every Superman fan in Metropolis, IL.
  • Flood Wall Murals, Paducah, KY: The history of this old Ohio River community is portrayed through a series of murals on the downtown flood walls. The murals are really something to enjoy as they span more than a century of progress.
  • Shandie's Restaurand (formerly C C Cohen's), Paducay, KY: Located in Paducah's historic downtown just a short distance from the flood wall murals, you will find Shandies where the long-time tradition of excellent food and service started by C C Cohen's is continued. A favorite of my family and friends, the food is always excellent and the service is the best of our region's hospitality.
  • Mound City National Cemetery, Mound City, IL: With graves dating from the Civil War through current days, this is a location to visit for those interested in military history.
  • King Neptune's Grave, Anna, IL: A memorial to the war bond drives of the Second World War, this marker commemorates the pig that was repeatedly auctioned off at regional war bond rallies during the days of World War II.
  • Dixie Barbecue, Jonesboro, IL: This little roadside cafe serves excellent home-smoked barbecue pork with their own home-made sauce that is something that brings multiple generations back to Jonesboro for a taste of paradise. One of my local favorites, and I have no hesitation in recommending the establishment to all of my friends.
  • Union County Wine Trail, Illinois: During the past twenty years, the wine industry has boomed in this part of Illinois, and the Union County branch of the Shawnee Hills Wine Trail offers and excellent assortment of local wineries and wines.
  • Tunnel Hill State Bicycle Trail, Vienna, IL: The Tunnel Hill Trail is among the regions most popular bicycle trails.
  • Bald Knob Cross of Peace, Alto Pass, IL: An idea that was originated in the late 1930s that came into existance in the late 1950s, this huge porcelain enameled steel-clad cross can bee seen from miles around "Bald Knob Mountain" just outside of Alto Pass, Illinois. The cross is resplendent in all of its restored glory with restoration just having been completed. The last remaining aspect of restoration is the current project to replace the lights that illuminated the structure throughout the night.
  • Giant City State Park, Makanda, IL: Known for its rock formations, cliffs and nature trails, this park is a favorite of rock climbers, hikers, and horseback riders.
  • Giant City State Park Lodge, Makanda, IL: The Lodge at Giant City State Park dates back to the CCC days of the Great Depression. This historic lodge is an architectural site to see, and the restaurant offers excellent food and service. Known best for their all-you-can eat family-style chicken dinners, they also serve an excllent filet-mignon as well.
  • Ferne Clyffe State Park, Goreville, IL: Locals often have difficulty choosing between Ferne Clyffe and Giant City State Parks. Both have the natural beauty of the Shawnee National Forrest that is also nearby along with excellent hiking, rock climibing, and other similar activities.
  • Popeye's Hometown, Chester, IL: Home to the creator of the Popeye comic strip, Chester, Illinois is Popeye's hometown and this is evident nearly everywhere in the town. It is a must see for those who love the Popeye comic strip and cartoon series.
Places that I would recommend that are on approaches to DuQuoin include:
  • Rockome Gardens, Arcola, IL: While it is something of a tourist attraction, it does offer a unique Central Illinois Experience and is among my favorite places to visit when traveling through Central Illinois.
  • The Dutch Kitchen, Arcola, IL: The Dutch Kitchen is one of my "must stops" when traveling through Central Illinois. They serve a Dutch Sausage Dinner that is among my all-time favorites and their sweet-and-sour salad bar is a must have accompaniment to any lunch or dinner that I have eaten there.
  • Lehman's Hardware Store, Kidron, OH: I know of several Airstreamers who have been able to spend three or four hours just perusing the aisles of this hardware store of days gone by. My first visit was in 1999 while on the Wagon Wheels Caravan -- the store is now one of my "must stops" when traversing this part of Ohio.
  • Warther Cutlery, Dover, OH: Not only will you find some excellent cutlery at this stop, the museum is something that will produce lifetime memories. My first stop at this store was on the 1999 Wagon Wheels Caravan and it is now among my regular stops.
  • Put-In-Bay (Island), OH: One of my fondest memories of the 1999 Wagon Wheels Caravan was our day-long visit to Put-In-Bay Island. From historic homes to quaint shops there is something to interest nearly any traveler.
  • Cedar Point Amusement Park, Sandusky, OH: For amusement park afficiandos, Cedar Point at Sandusky, OH is a must see. My first experience was during the 1999 Wagon Wheel Caravan, and while not a fan of amusement parks, I did enjoy my visit.
Enjoy your visit!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote