Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2016, 03:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
Things to Do & See In Colorado

My wife and I are leaving VA for Colorado on 10/9. We plan to spend about three weeks in Colorado before heading South to Phoenix, AZ. We are thinking about spending most of our time in Telluride, Crested Butte, and Ouray and are looking for suggestions of things to see and do in those areas. In addition we would like suggestions of other places at lower altitudes in CO to to visit. One of our concerns/fears is snow. We plan to arrive in CO about Oct. 16th and at the elevations of the places that I mentioned I assume that we could encounter snow which we don't want to be near pulling our AS. So although those are places that we are thinking about we may opt for places at lower altitudes to avoid snow. Any advice from those of you who know the area would be greatly appreciated. Are we in danger of snow from mid Oct to the end of Oct at the places that I mentioned above?

Thanks for your help!
Charlottesville, VA
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Re: Late-October camping weather in Colorado

Projections from historical weather data:
  • Crested Butte, CO (elevation 8,900 feet): Temperatures (day/night) = 50/20 F. Possible snow showers.

• Telluride, CO (elevation 8,800 feet): Temperatures (day/night) = 50/20 F. Possible snow showers.

• Ouray, CO (elevation 7,800 feet): Temperatures (day/night) = 55/30 F. Possible rain.

If you watch the weather closely, you may be able to visit these areas between storms; as weather changes fast in Colorado, especially in the mountains and during this time of year.

If the weather doesn't cooperate, there are lots of things to see and do in New Mexico, which may be a little bit warmer.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:15 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

the hot springs in ouray and orvis hotsprings near ridgway co
dsrtgrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:58 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Check into Durango to Silverton RR, Cortez area w Mesa Verde NP and Hovenweep not far from there.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:31 AM   #5
Yertle01.com

2006 22' International CCD
Estes Park , Colorado
If you find yourself heading north, I vote for visiting Estes Park. If there's a god and he takes vacations, Estes is one of his stops.

"My two cents is worth every penny."
TRizzuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Just left CO and you need to watch roads closer in those area, the road from Durango north will close when it get bad. Second, I would not drive in the winter to Ouray from Durango, there is NO road guards or shoulder, its straight DOWN what we call a white knuckle drive in bad weather.

2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Ed... absolutely beautiful towns. In October... bring skis.

- Having a 4x4 tow vehicle is a big plus.
- Snow boots.
- Extra layers of clothing.
- Extra covers for your bed.
- Plenty of propane to keep the frost off the inner walls.
- Keep your upper vents open a little and a window cracked open to keep the humidity in check.
- RV Park with power.
- Avoid filling your fresh water tank.
- Avoid using your black water tank.
- Avoid using your grey water tank.
- Open the door to keep your trailer's water pump from freezing up.

... and you will have the best experience of your lifetime. Beautiful in the Summer and in the Winter just as dazzling. Enjoy your trip and... well, bring a snow shovel too.

And, take some photographs for everyone to see. I am just too chicken to take a chance leaving Castle Rock. I do not want to miss our annual October blizzard... it can really be a doozie.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #8
LifeIsShort

2013 22' FB Sport
Winter Park , Colorado
Your timeframe is pretty late for the weather here. I live further north in Winter Park (9000'), and we have already had four snowfalls above treeline (it was 29 this morning at my house). The aspens are peaked right now, and we are preparing for winter. I would suggest staying further south along the CO/NM border. Think Mesa Verde NP and the Natl. Monuments in the Four Corners region: Hovenweep, Natural Bridges, Rainbow Bridge, Canyon de Chelly. When you get close, you could check the weather for Durango and make a stop--it's a pretty cool town. FYI, the Durango-Silverton RR stops for the season mid-October. Hope this helps.
Tsmith.wp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
We live in Monument CO which is on the east side of the front range of the Rockies south of Denver. There are a number of places to visit in Colorado Springs and this area tends to get less snow in mid-October (including Pikes Peak on the COG Rail line, Garden of the Gods, Air Force Academy, Cave of the Winds, etc.) Just Google things to do in Colorado Springs and Pueblo. Estes Park (as noted above) is a wonderful place to visit and it is not very far into the mountains from the plains, so less snowy travel if it snows. The Sangre de Cristo Mountains are also beautiful in south-central Colorado and there tends to be less snow there in October (try Alvarado Campground for some nice hiking or Great Sand Dunes NP). Also mentioned above is the Durango area with less snow in the October timeframe with Indian cliff dwellings, hiking and beautiful scenery. Just remember, anywhere you travel in the CO mountains from October through May, you can run into snow, so watch the weather forecasts.

Enjoy!!

DaveP
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:40 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Larkspur , Colorado
Ditto for our Colorado neighbors!

If you're into breweries Colorado is the premier destination (Ft. Collins, Golden, just about any mountain town).

We also just came back from Pearl Lake outside of Steamboat Springs if you decide to head further West. Beautiful spot and one of the top 25 kayaking lakes in the U.S., though again, may be a bit brisk in October at times, + snow.

2016 International Serenity "Firefly"
2015 GMC Sierra HD Diesel
We travel with Mongo the Pomeranian
and Stella Bean, Pure Golden Sweetness
GandTSayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:02 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 19' International
Santa Margarita , California
South Park

We really enjoyed the South Park museum in Fairplay, where the 9 and the 25 meet. It's an outdoor museum (they even allow dogs!) that is all the different buildings from an old mining town. It's a lovely town (mountains, trees, etc.) and we learned something. And we loved being able to take Mali, the dog.
Santa Margarita, CA
works at SkyRiver Airstream Paso Robles
www.facebook.com/CentralCoastAirstream/
www.facebook.com/AirstreamSB/
ellenbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:09 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
We camped in Durango this summer and drove up for a day trip to Ouray. You might think about that as an option. The Colorado Monument National Park is really nice also. We stayed at an RV Park in town and drove up and around for the day there as well. Mesa Verde is super nice also and the cliff dwellings are really cool. We do love Colorado Springs as well. A little bit of cautious, creative thinking will allow you to see some really cool sites and stay out of the snow but you do have to watch the weather carefully. We tend to think that the element of adventure in "making it work" is a lot of fun for us.
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
In addition to Colorado Springs...

Buena Vista - 7,966 feet
Salida - 7,083 feet
Golden - 5,675 feet
Boulder - 5,430 feet

...are all areas that are lower elevations with things to do. They would make a good "home base" to shoot for with 1-3 day trips to your higher elevation destinations, weather permitting. If you are going to be here for three weeks in October, you will most likely get some snow. The good thing is, that time of year it doesn't stick around long in the lower elevations - if it snows a day or two, it'll be sunny the next. The key would be to be flexible, plan your travel time in the warm part of the day and avoid wet, mag-chloride roads...it wreaks havoc on aluminum.

Enjoy! Late fall is one of my favorite times of the year! It's not the "prettiest" time (fall color is over - it's less green, more brown and the beautiful snowy vistas haven't really kicked in yet) but it's an in-between season for tourism so less crowded....which makes it awesome!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I agree with Alvarado campground in the Sangre de Cristo area. Absolutely beautiful there....the pic on my avatar is from there.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Hi DaveP - Ken from Palmer Lake here! We just took our last trailer trip for the year last week - a week a the Buena Vista KOA and day trips around there including a full day across Cottonwood Pass and up to Crested Butte. Mine is headed to Turbo RV on Monday for a little service (wheel bearing pack and a new door lock) but it is all winterized and ready until next spring.

Ed - we love our state and want everyone to enjoy it - but the comments here are important to heed. We've already been down the high 30's at night here at 7200' and it was already below freezing last week in Leadville in the mornings. Also hearing that you want to spend 3 weeks and spend significant time in Telluride, Ouray, and Crested Butte is possible but it will be a fair amount of drive time. Ouray to Crested Butte is several hours each way - but beautiful scenery the whole way.

You can do a day trip from Ouray to Telluride and the Last Dollar 4WD road is really a fun way to go. Montrose is awesome and the Native American museum there is worth the time. Ouray has a great history museum also. Ridgeway has several antique stores if they are still open. A day trip up to Yankee Boy basin is a must as is the box canyon. And of course you can get a jeep tour to take you over the high passes and you will see scenery like no where else (at least no where I've been). But - I've literally been behind a motor grader in mid-July that was pushing off the last of the snow pack to open the pass (I think that was Imogene). And the snow comes back early - probably already now.

Black Canyon on the Gunnison is awesome. That is just out of Montrose toward Gunnison.

It's all do-able and you may hit the weather just right. The 4WD TV is really an assumption this time of year and be flexible in terms of planning around weather. The other thing to consider is the trailer parks tend to close up just after Labor Day in that area. Hot springs in Ouray are the best!
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:58 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
BE PREPARED for cold temperatures and plan accordingly.
Definitely check out the hot springs.
As you head South, be sure to check out Mesa Verde NP and Canyon of the Ancients NM.
Then either check out Four Corners and Monument Valley. If you detour through Bluff Utah, be sure to stop in Twin Rocks Trading Post for shopping and Twin Rocks Cafe for a meal.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
We were in Ouray at Memorial Day. Loved the jeep rental and trip to Yankee boy basin. Imogene pass (13,000') to telluride wasn't open for the season yet and will probably be closed again when you get there if it isn't already. Farther south we loved Mesa Verde NP.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #18
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Lived in Denver and Colorado Springs - loved it there and tried to retire from the AF but my leadership had other plans... Would love to go back! Estes Park (Rocky Mountain National Park) are my favorites. And if you haven't been, you must also do all of the C. Springs sites mentioned as well. Park the trailer and do the day trips into the mountains to save your knuckles (and hair, heart, etc...). ;-)
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
The Arkansas river gorge between Salida and Canyon City is an interesting lower ele. area. I also enjoyed cruising both north and south on roads taking off from that route, south on 69, and a loop northward on 9 tp Hartsel looping back thru Buena vista.
All lower elevations that should be available if snows are happening.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:05 AM   #20
Long time owner

2004 25' Classic
1974 25' Tradewind
1970 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Forrest City , Arkansas
If you take Hwy 50 into the mountains, I suggest that you stop at Canon City and see the Royal Gorge and take the train ride thru the Gorge.
doctorlewis is offline   Reply With Quote