Old 09-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Hi DaveP - Ken from Palmer Lake here! We just took our last trailer trip for the year last week - a week a the Buena Vista KOA and day trips around there including a full day across Cottonwood Pass and up to Crested Butte. Mine is headed to Turbo RV on Monday for a little service (wheel bearing pack and a new door lock) but it is all winterized and ready until next spring.

Ed - we love our state and want everyone to enjoy it - but the comments here are important to heed. We've already been down the high 30's at night here at 7200' and it was already below freezing last week in Leadville in the mornings. Also hearing that you want to spend 3 weeks and spend significant time in Telluride, Ouray, and Crested Butte is possible but it will be a fair amount of drive time. Ouray to Crested Butte is several hours each way - but beautiful scenery the whole way.

You can do a day trip from Ouray to Telluride and the Last Dollar 4WD road is really a fun way to go. Montrose is awesome and the Native American museum there is worth the time. Ouray has a great history museum also. Ridgeway has several antique stores if they are still open. A day trip up to Yankee Boy basin is a must as is the box canyon. And of course you can get a jeep tour to take you over the high passes and you will see scenery like no where else (at least no where I've been). But - I've literally been behind a motor grader in mid-July that was pushing off the last of the snow pack to open the pass (I think that was Imogene). And the snow comes back early - probably already now.

Black Canyon on the Gunnison is awesome. That is just out of Montrose toward Gunnison.

It's all do-able and you may hit the weather just right. The 4WD TV is really an assumption this time of year and be flexible in terms of planning around weather. The other thing to consider is the trailer parks tend to close up just after Labor Day in that area. Hot springs in Ouray are the best!

kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:58 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
BE PREPARED for cold temperatures and plan accordingly.
Definitely check out the hot springs.
As you head South, be sure to check out Mesa Verde NP and Canyon of the Ancients NM.
Then either check out Four Corners and Monument Valley. If you detour through Bluff Utah, be sure to stop in Twin Rocks Trading Post for shopping and Twin Rocks Cafe for a meal.

Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:16 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
We were in Ouray at Memorial Day. Loved the jeep rental and trip to Yankee boy basin. Imogene pass (13,000') to telluride wasn't open for the season yet and will probably be closed again when you get there if it isn't already. Farther south we loved Mesa Verde NP.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #18
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Annandale , Virginia
Lived in Denver and Colorado Springs - loved it there and tried to retire from the AF but my leadership had other plans... Would love to go back! Estes Park (Rocky Mountain National Park) are my favorites. And if you haven't been, you must also do all of the C. Springs sites mentioned as well. Park the trailer and do the day trips into the mountains to save your knuckles (and hair, heart, etc...). ;-)
2017 Classic 30', ProPride 3P Hitch, 2016 RAM 3500 Laramie CC 4x4 SRW w/ 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel and Retrax Pro MX Tonneau Cover
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
The Arkansas river gorge between Salida and Canyon City is an interesting lower ele. area. I also enjoyed cruising both north and south on roads taking off from that route, south on 69, and a loop northward on 9 tp Hartsel looping back thru Buena vista.
All lower elevations that should be available if snows are happening.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:05 AM   #20
Long time owner
2004 25' Classic
1974 25' Tradewind
1970 21' Globetrotter
Forrest City , Arkansas
If you take Hwy 50 into the mountains, I suggest that you stop at Canon City and see the Royal Gorge and take the train ride thru the Gorge.
doctorlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:03 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Winter Wonderland in October

Just some 'off season' photographs to consider.

October 11, 2005 Roxborough Park, Colorado with truck 6,200'

June 7, 2006 west of Big Piney, Wyoming with trailer in background 7,100'

December 21, 2006 Roxborough Park, Colorado snow 'blowing' 6200'

December 16, 2015 Boulder City, Nevada 2200' elevation

The Southwestern Deserts can be a great option to Winter in the Rocky Mountains!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0718.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	529.6 KB
ID:	271824   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1228.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	605.5 KB
ID:	271825  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1613.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	359.6 KB
ID:	271826   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4408.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	372.7 KB
ID:	271827  

Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #22
2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Hi Ken. Nice to e-meet you! We live in Red Rock Ranch, so we must be within spitting distance. We should get together at the Rock House (before it closes for the winter) or Speedtrap sometime. We are taking one more trip to Mueller State Park October 8 & 9, then I will be winterizing my AS too.

DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:15 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
A huge thank you to all of you that responded to my original post! We decided after reading your replies to change our plans and stay at lower elevations. We are now plan to remain on the eastern range spending time in Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Durango, Sand Dunes, and Mesa Verde. If any of you can suggest things to do, or places to camp in Colorado Springs, Pueblo, or any of the other places we would greatly appreciate you sharing your wisdom with us! Thanks

Bald Eagle
28 Ft. Flying Cloud
2015 GMC Diesel
Charlottesville, VA
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:25 PM   #24
Rivet Master
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
Continuing west on 50 thru Salida brings you to 17 this a great way to get the west side of those amazing Sangre De Cristo mountains.
It's an easy drive south to the Sand Dunes Park, this is worth checking out.
There is a park on the edge of the dunes, can walk right into the duns from the park.

17/ 285 is a nice route to head on south. You can see the tail end of the Sangre De Crisro range well into N M.

As mentioned the Gunnison is pretty spectacular and should be available later in the season.

At the end of the first Classic Motorhome gathering in Colo Springs, a spring storm came thru for a few days. After it passed the countryside was beautiful with a fresh snow cap on the mountains, made for spectacular touring.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:22 PM   #25
Minnesota Newbie
2016 19' Flying Cloud
St. Paul , Minnesota
South Park and beyond

Originally Posted by ellenbelle View Post
We really enjoyed the South Park museum in Fairplay, where the 9 and the 25 meet. It's an outdoor museum (they even allow dogs!) that is all the different buildings from an old mining town. It's a lovely town (mountains, trees, etc.) and we learned something. And we loved being able to take Mali, the dog.
Hi there,

I'm currently in FairPlay with dogs and 19' FC in tow. We're staying at the Middlefork RV park - ok but close to highway. Where did you stay on your visit? I'm thinking about being daring and trying one of the forest service dry sites. Haven't done that before, but this seems like a good place to try for a few days. Where did you head after FairPlay? Looking for recommendations in the general area

Many thanks - Emily
rothse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member
1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Ed - have a great time. Southern Colorado is a lot of fun and generally overlooked as people drive up to the I-70 corridor passing right through here. Canon City has a lot to do around there with the Royal Gorge, the Royal Gorge train, and sightseeing. If you have young ones the North Pole by Manitou Springs is a must do. The Cog Railway to Pike's Peak is also a must do. There are fun places up 24 like Mueller State Park, the Wolf Preserve in Divide, Florence is fun for antique shopping, Cripple Creek of course for the ca$hinos (but the mining museum there is exceptional), Victor is a nice little place and there has been some investment in the town lately with nice shops and restaurants. By the sand dunes is a little artsy community called Crestone which is 1/2 very old mining town-ie and 1/2 land grants which is all newer neighborhoods and a Buddhist community with temples, a small shop, etc.. On the way to Crestone you can of course stop a the alligator farm and they will snap a photo of you petting a small gator before you go out to see the literally hundreds of animals. and you can also stop to climb the platform from which it is said you can see and converse with aliens at or following sunset (we think it depends on many other, um, influencing factors) but each person can discover it for themselves. If you like aircraft it is worth going to the aircraft museum in Pueblo. If you like being outdoors you can hike all over Mueller, the Fossil Beds in Florissant, and the whole area going over La Veta pass (and La Veta is a fun little town itself) is beautiful. There is the Scenic Highway of Legends which is just awesome this time of year that takes you through Cuchara and that area - also great hiking.

Have a wonderful time! Colorado Springs is a fun town with lots to do and so is Pueblo with the river walk, etc.. You should be able to stay very busy here
Old 09-22-2016, 04:54 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member
1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Sounds great - I haven't been to Speedtrap in a long time I'm in town next week (week of 9/26) just let me know time and place and we can make it work. My email is
Old 09-22-2016, 06:28 PM   #28
Rivet Master
My brother and sister live in Colorado

My sister said any month with the letter R in it, can be cold in Colorado.

My brother said that in lots of places in Colorado, it can snow in any month that has a vowel in it.

They were kinda joking, but my brother was hiking the Colorado Trail in August and got hit by a sleet storm.

I've walked in snow in June in Colorado. It was on the road between Silverton and Durango.

mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote