Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2015, 09:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
There is no Place like Home...

Traveling has its adventure and personal introduction to new views on the horizon and the unfamiliar. Languages, accents, local customs and scenery are home to those who live in these places, even though you might believe the discovery of this new place was of your own making.

The locals find you and the place you call home as an equivalent adventure of new views and the unfamiliar. It is a trade of experiences among traveling nomads and the residents.

The mobility of our Airstreams maintain a comfortable environment of our departed lifestyle of home, now on wheels. Our daily routines try to replicate our routine home experiences, friends made at the moment and we easily accept as familiar, these new places. Sometimes we find a place that reminds us what we miss about our home and easily fit into this new environment. New acquaintances, local gathering places of the restless, maybe even encounters of those who have crossed paths over the years are warmly greeted. A home away from home. Maybe a second home if conditions are met. Possibly a retirement home with less clutter and more time to pass time doing familiar chores of a previous life. A temporary moment in time that eventually must end for most, but not all.

Eventually, our experiences of new places and new acquaintances within our temporary home on wheels... we must leave. Possibly exhausted and travel worn from the unfamiliar and discomforts of a lacking daily routine. The temporary Nomad looks forward to something familiar...

There is still No Place Like Home.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I've lived in a few places; Los Angeles, New Zealand, Reno, NV, Mt View, CA, Plano, Frisco, TX and now Nixa MO. I don't miss any of the "homes" I've lived in. I could move tomorrow from Nixa and wouldn't look back. I'm looking forward to trying full timing in a few years. Our home is wherever my wife and I make it.

Kelvin
Old 06-26-2015, 10:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Feeling old today, Ray? I resemble that.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
Feeling old today, Ray? I resemble that.
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

More from boredom of the mind of an overactive curious child trapped in a body of a retired person. I resist saying "old" as I find old as a State of Mind, not age or physical condition. My paleontology professor in Wyoming summed it up well. "I am a 30 year old in a worn out body." He is in his 90's today.

All of us, must, find this the case. The adult that stays young must have a good share of that adolescent mind intact, otherwise spending a year camped at one place could be possible, otherwise. Not for me, but for some.

When my wife, myself and two Blue Heelers are on the road, with no definite plan other than a geologic map, a vague direction and purpose to investigate some rock outcrops or the edges of some burned out volcanic caldera of the western USA for agates... coming home is always something to look forward. More to have time to sort through the finds and determine if there is some scientific value to them.

It is that second day on the road where we transition into the travel mode and our trailer is our home.

The second day after returning home from a week or a month in the bush... it is hard to believe we even left. It is an odd transition that takes very little time.

Feeling Old? Not yet, but I remember the Ranches of Western Nebraska welcoming a 16 year old kid wanting to hunt fossils in their Badlands with no money and little time to spare. Now I have both, the Ranches no longer welcome strangers like the old ranchers. Today the ranch is leased to a company that collects fossils or charges people to come along for the... adventure. Overhead must be made to keep the ranch in business. Times have changed, as well as the people.

I just finished painting steps in my storage building and instead of watching the paint dry, checked for any errant emails and then the addiction of late, the Airforum, which was difficult to resist. Next to trim the new growths from the sides of the Scrub Oak trunks next. Neither are on my most 100 things I want to do this year list.