Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2019, 01:41 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBSLodge2 View Post
What do you do to secure your important items while on the road? Do you keep things in your Airstream, or your TV? We were parked in San Antonio and professional burglars broke into our TV, stole a bunch of electronic equipment and left. They were probably only there a few seconds. Any recommendations for security of both AS and TV?

Second, I wondered what you are using as an entry mat? The factory included AS mat is way too smal IMHO. What’s best for keeping the floor clean?
We keep things in the Airstream as our toad is a Jeep with a soft top. I’m annoyed with Chris because he doesn’t lock the bike or kayaks but they’ve never been stolen where we park. I’ve locked things all my life but he doesn’t seem to. I’d like to know where you were parked in San Antonio. Chris’s Mom lives there and we usually spend half the year in the area, but we park/live at Alamo Fiesta RV Park in Boerne, about 30 miles north up the 10. The rent is very reasonable, we’ve never had a theft, the park has a family feel s most people are permanent renters. It’s clean, has all hook-ups, two laundryrooms and a pool. I have my mail and packages sent there without problem, they are pet friendly and have a little dog park. We’ve been parking/camping there since 2015 I think. They have a Facebook page.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:30 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
We are thinking about installing the ring on our airstream. It works great for our residence . We also foiled being burglarized when we were on our way to Rigby Idaho for the great eclipse. . All the RV parks that have Wi-Fi would make sense do you have this added measure of security. And it needs no hardwiring. I’m sure this might not work dry camping. But With full hook up RV Parks with Wi-Fi. Also wish Airstream would put in peep hole. As others have mentioned people knocking on their door in remote areas and no way to look . Security shouldn’t be the issue for enjoying your adventure. Has anyone else added tlhe ring or other types of security systems to their airstream? After wevread on the form about an airstream been stolen out of a Las Vegas RV park. We did check with our insurance as everyone should about replacement. General RV on our policy does cover stolen replacement costs. Don’t want to find out after-the-fact that you weren’t covered.
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
Put small valuables, jewelry etc, in with dirty clothes. Even thieves hate rooting around in dirty underware.
Fortunately, in over 40 years of RVing we’ve never had anything stolen. 🤞
Old 02-10-2019, 01:26 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2004 30' Classic
1972 Argosy 22
Meridian , Idaho

Our 2018 Classic does have a safe in the closet floor. It's a single key lock. Doesn't look impressive but it's sorta hidden under shoes etc.
Many of the campgrounds we stay in prohibit ground mats of any size. It kills their grass they say.
cbburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
Years ago, where we stored our AS, (a good storage yard with covered spaces, cameras and 25-hr on-site security), a landscaping crew who also stored their equipment there hung around until long after closing. Then, they sent a skinny kid onto the roofs of any rigs with ladders or rigs parked close to rigs with ladders. The kid broke out the roof vents and was inside in minutes. He would unlock the doors and the adult thieves would steal anything of value. They couldn’t get on top of my AS because of the curved roof line but they tried to get up there by opening the water heater cover and standing on it. It bent and they couldn’t get to the roof. I was able to straighten the water heater cover. They managed to get inside 10-12 rigs that night and they got away. We were lucky.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #26
WoodNStreamer

1961 22' Flying Cloud
2012 27' FB International
Carlsbad , California
Tow vehicle is to easy to breech, trailer is much safer and has lots of hiding places. Always double lock your trailer, entry latch and dead bolt. Obviously leave nothing of value visible.
WoodN48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:56 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Our storage facility has all the stock features for security. Cameras, lights, automated gates, tall walls and barbed wire as needed. The plus part is that the resident manager walks his dog around the entire property at closing time to make sure nobody is hanging around late or up to no good. He's actually told me to finish up and leave when I was there a bit late.

My parking spot is visible from the resident manager's apartment, and, as he politely put it, is in the "free fire zone" from his balcony. He promised to aim carefully...he likes Airstreams, and I am the only Airstream in the storage area. My kind of manager...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote