Old 04-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Corpus Christi , Texas
No question about it for me. I've been over I-80 Donner Pass and it's bad, but doesn't compare to a trip we made from Presidio, Texas to Creel and the Copper Canyon in Mexico. In the first section to Chihuahua, the speed limit was 50 but anything over 35 was horrible. Our cat got motion sick. It wasn't bad up the hill out of Chihuahua, but a few of the towns to follow were horrible. Some had speed limits of 15 mph and that was waaaaaay tooooooo fast. More like 5 mph if you didn't want to tear the bottom out of the trailer. Once in Creel, we cut down a Michelin on the trailer pulling into the Holiday Inn RV Park. We won't go back.

So Long!
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:27 PM   #30
Rivet Master
1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Some bad roads, especially to Lake Chicot in Ark.

I love this thread. It's helpful when we're getting ready to make road plans. I wish everyone would post current information on bumpy bad roads they encounter! Sure want to avoid them.

Our contribution to "bad roads" is a little stretch of road in Lake Village, Arkansas, which takes one out to Lake Chicot State Park.

We were coming back from Florida and decided to camp on the lake. I remembered the park being a nice place.

BUT, the road was like driving on railroad ties. We had been 2400 uneventful (no troubles) miles, and I think the rivets we popped out of the front panel were definitely popped on that road (a couple of hundred miles from home). It was only a few miles, but terrible! Couldn't find a good place to turn around or a way off it, or we would have forgotten the park and went back to Highway 65. Poor Esmerelda took a beating. We were bungied down as usual, but if we hadn't been, all the drawers would have been out!

On the way in, we saw a large number of RVs in a park on the main highway (65) in Lake Village. We wondered why they were camped there - when the state park is nearby and a good place. Now we know - and wanted to share the information. Until that road from town out to the park is fixed, it's no place for a beloved AS.

Agree that I-20 in Louisianna is horrible! And 65 from Tallulah, La into Arkansas is a bumpy ride, too. Terrible railroad crossings, too. I-20 through Jackson, MS, thank God, is fixed. Highway 49 to Hattiesburg has some bumpy parts near little towns out of Jackson. It used to be a nightmare. But nothing beat that little highway out to the park!

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins HD
1987 Excella 32'

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:29 AM   #31
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
On our recent trip, we drove one that, well, wasn't bad in the usual sense: It was paved and smooth, and the curves weren't too bad at all. But it had the steepest, longest grades that I think I've ever tried: 14%. Pedal to the metal in first gear on the way up; first gear and holding the brakes on the way down.

And that road was BIA 13 over Buffalo Pass, Navajo Nation. Wonderful scenery, but just not intended for the RVing tourist. (Ah, duh. I wonder if that's what they intended with that sign about max length of rig before the pass?)

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #32
TAC CA-420
Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Bear Camp Road, Southern Oregon

Average speed for five hours about 15mph. Weather was good, truck was strong, and at the start I observed two passenger vans towing empty river rafting trailers coming down the road -- or I never would've tried it. (A notorious route for several wintertime deaths.) Spectacular!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rough Road Airlight.png
Views:	47
Size:	658.9 KB
ID:	249436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bear CAmp Road.png
Views:	51
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	249437  

"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote