Old 06-02-2004, 08:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
The Trail of Lewis and Clark/Bicentennial

We just returned from the encampment of the Corps of Discovery at Noren Access on the other side of the bridge at Jefferson City. The river is very high from all the recent storms and carrying tons of debris, but moored close at hand were the Keelboat and pirogues replicated for the Bicentennial of the trip made by Lewis and Clark and their men. Spread across the river bottom was their encampment, canvas tents filled with the gear of the early 1800's, campfires with kettles of stew simmering over smokey fires, pots of steaming coffee, Seaman-Lewis's Newfoundland, the captains in military dress, the corps in whites at this stage of the trip, Missouri Indians in dress. . .this reenactment of the 1804 voyage makes dead pages of history spring to life. The reenactors of the Corps are from the St. Charles area. The gentleman taking the role of Captain Clark is a descendant of the explorer. Anyway, I guess what I am trying to express is that this is a marvelous event that encourages us pause and reflect on our nation's history--both it's proud and harmful aspects. If any of you in your Airstream travels this summer plan to follow the route made by the Corps, I recommend a visit to one of the encampment sites. This summer they travel between St. Charles and Mandan, ND. I plan to go back early tomorrow morning to snap a photo as they embark at 8 am to head on upriver. If I can get the shot I want, it will show the Keelboat on the Missouri with its high water and debris dwarfed by the double bridge over the river with the State Capitol in the distance. Should be a great study of contrasts: 1804-2004! Don't know if anyone on the forum is interested, but had to share

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 08:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
the best!

i am sure that there are more students of history on this forum...
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 09:37 PM   #3
Site Team

, Minnesota
I've seen the ending. Fort Clatsop and the salt works at Seaside OR are worth the visit. A great resource is Stephen Ambrose's "Undaunted Courage". The book brings to life all the trials and successes of the Corps of Discovery.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:48 PM   #4
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I, too, have seen the ending. I've often stood at the life-size bronze monument of the explorers and wondered of their travels. Seaside, OR is a great place to visit. The Carosel Mall, Seaside Aquarium (where the seals splash you if you don't feed them), and all of the great fresh seafood and chowder. Quite nice for a desert dweller who loves the ocean.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 10:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Cape Disappointment (fka; Fort Canby) is the spot where L&C saw the ocean for the first time and also makes for a wonderful spot to camp. There is an L&C Interpretive Center there that is next to the old fort and is a lotta of fun and educational. The campground is beautiful, right on the mouth of the Columbia, with hook-ups. Highly recommended!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 07:13 AM   #6
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Sgt. Charles Floyd Monument

I grew up in the shadow of the Sgt. Charles Floyd Monument in Sioux City IA; erected in memory of Charles Floyd, the only person to die on the Lewis and Clark expedition. He is believed to have had a burst appendix and died of complications from the subsequent infection. He was buried on the bluffs overlooking the Missouri River in what is now Sioux City.

The Lewis and Clark expedition is one of the United States' great stories of exploration and discovery. For it's time, it probably was a greater accomplishment than our moon landing in 1969. It was an incredible undertaking accomplished by ordinary men doing extraordinary things.

That expedition exemplified all that is great about the United States, and was the forerunner of the entire western expansion movement. I heartily recommend that everyone take some time to visit the places that they visited, and trace as much of the route of Lewis and Clark as they can sometime during their lifetimes. If you can imagine undertaking such an expedition into unknown territory with the equipment that they had at the time, it really gives you a perspective on how easy life is today.

In Sioux City there is a retired riverboat tug called the "Sergeant Floyd" that has been turned into a Lewis and Clark expedition museum. It doesn't take long to tour, but if you're passing through Sioux City on I-29, it's well worth the hour to tour. It really brings that era of our history to life.

Roger
Old 06-03-2004, 07:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
that was in the days of iron men and wooden ships....now we have iron ships and wooden men.....

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 09:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Sounds nifty - wish I could drive down and watch the festivities. Did see "Lewis and Clark: Great Journey West" at Chicago's Omnimax theatre at the Museum of Sci. And Industry this past weekend. Wonderful, exciting 40 minute movie, with breathtaking cinematography. I highly reccomend it if you're in this area, or anywhere where it's playing. As a new Airstreamer, it showed me just how much land is actually left untouched by man in this country. You think of all the Walmarts, all the subdivisions, all the wasted use of land all around... but it seems there's still quite a bit more - enough to fill a 40 minute movie, filmed often from an airplane - and you can't even see a single manmade object! Fascinating and inspiring.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:22 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Lewis & Clark

The exhibit of the Lewis & Clark in St. Louis it outstanding. Ther are several items on display from the journey. Well worth the visit. I think the exhibit is there until Labor Day and then it is to travel toward the Northwest.
Dan
Old 06-03-2004, 02:43 PM   #10
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Thumbs up

I agree with the fellow who posted info about "Undaunted Courage" ... a fabulous book .. hard to put down.

For what it is worth ...

Meriwether Lewis and I are 2nd cousins 7 times removed. Our common ancestors are John Lewis and Elizabeth Warner.

How's that for braggin' rights?

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 03:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
A celebration of the Lewis and Clark expedition at Sacajawea Park in Pasco Washington will be held in October I believe it is the 16th.
There is the "Lewis and Clark Bluesgrass festival and Dutch Oven Rendezvous" being held at Sacajawea Park June 11 to 13. Should be a good time. Come say high I'll be running the sound at the stage.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
A celebration of the Lewis and Clark expedition at Sacajawea Park in Pasco Washington will be held in October I believe it is the 16th.
There is the "Lewis and Clark Bluesgrass festival and Dutch Oven Rendezvous" being held at Sacajawea Park June 11 to 13. Should be a good time. Come say high I'll be running the sound at the stage.
Sorry
There are trailer spots available, info on the web.
http://www.lewisandclarkbluegrassfestival.com
Old 06-03-2004, 04:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Porky, them are great braggin' rights! When I went out this morning, I met Josh Shannon, 17-year-old descendant of one of the Corps, who along with his uncle, is serving as a reinactor for the entire expedition. He was so young-it was interesting to see such a teen totally involved in living history. If you know the story of the expedition and then meet and talk to the men taking their roles, the story leaps to life. The time and $$ invested by these men is impressive. I learned that the Corps is not made up of just the St. Charles group, but people are coming from all over the country--from the east coast to San Diego-- to assume a role and travel a part of the way with the company. Only a part of the group is doing the entire trek. By the way, the send-off was incredible this morning. When colors were posted on the three boats, the entire company sang in tribute as the flags lifted, fifes were played throughout by two young girls, "Lewis" was supervising the loading of the boats, calling out and joking with the rivermen while "Clark" was a little late getting on board (!), Seaman was leaping and barking and just enjoying the whole hubbub. However, when they let loose the lines from shore and poled out into the current, cannon booming, and then the whole expedition headed upstream, goosebumps broke out all over me. This is a "gotta see" if you find yourself in the right place and havae the opportunity.

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote