Old 11-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Dear Eaglemate - THANK YOU for sharing your experience. I'm glad you're around to share it. Your willingness to be attacked by the smug and/or judgmental (Hasn't happened to them YET) may help someone else avoid an accident.

All others - Judgment is good... judgmental, not so much.

Over 20 years ago a dear friend of mine was driving in L.A. and swerved into a left lane to avoid a crash that happened right in front of her. That crash happened because a truck driving in the left lane saw a wreck ahead and swerved RIGHT - and right into another car. The driver in the left lane, who had a small sportscar got OUT of his car and walked behind it for some reason - Mary slammed into the man and his rear bumper. It took the man's legs off at the kneecap, Mary got a bad concussion even though she was wearing a seatbelt (no airbag). She saw the carnage "she created". She hasn't recovered yet - PTSD and guilt! Don't pile on! Eaglemate has imagined every possible scenario in his head already.

Paula

Old 11-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #30
VNO

1975 Argosy 24
Germantown , Tennessee
Skater, "nasty" not implied. I listen to opinions and thoughts of thousands of focus jurors each year, and take no offense. All the information is helpful. I cull through it and ultimately figure out a) what I can do to lessen risk in both conditions and mechanically b) my role and necessary changes c) role of physics.

It all helps.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:24 AM   #31
VNO

1975 Argosy 24
Germantown , Tennessee
Foiled, there will always be a defensive attribution group. Simply put, these people assign blame to the human (instead of the circumstance) because it effectively innoculates them from the randomness of the occurrence. In other words, if they can assign blame (regardless that the science may conflict with that opinion) then it doesn't feel so vulnerable.

It's just human nature. I don't take offense.

Ultimately my question has been answered, and that is to help me see the situation not as I see it, but as everyone else sees it. Only in that way can I consider all the perspectives (not just mine), and ultimately come to a conclusion that helps.

It may be that I decide in the end that it was just a matter of physics, and I could not have had a different result short of stopping on the interstate, which compromises my own safety and liability.

It may be that I decide that my brakes aren't adjusted right.
Or I didn't apply them to get the best braking effect.
Or rain simply raises the risk that unforseen circumstances arise and I may elect to not compromise my Retromobile and try to keep out of rain and fog when possible.

Thanks for the thoughts. Always appreciated.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #32
VNO

1975 Argosy 24
Germantown , Tennessee
Bill, yep, probably so. The officer states he was trying to get the Mercedes to move into the left lane, and the Mercedes decided to stop.

It's in violation of the state statute for minimum speed.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #33
VNO

1975 Argosy 24
Germantown , Tennessee
Perry, factually, I was two car lengths behind the stopped automobile.

You may not have read the fact pattern, but I was traveling behind two cars, one of whom had moved into my lane quickly (thereby closing the appropriate distance I routinely maintain), then vacated simultaneously with the second car shortly thereafter (within seconds) when they approached the stopped Mercedes.

The visibility was not good, and the stopped car had no flashers. In defense of the cars in front of me, I expect one really could not perceive it was stopped (It was in park, no brake lights) until it registered mentally that the closure rate was too rapid, as opposed to seeing brake lights.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
I am very happy no one was hurt. I think I will try emergency braking in my Overlander on dry and then wet pavement when I get it on the road next year. I always leave more distance between myself and the vehicle in front of me when the weather is bad and the worse the weather the more distance I leave. But, I did wind up in a ditch last year in a snow storm (not pulling my trailer). I was driving about 10-15mph down a country road (had just put 4 small bales of hay in back of truck for traction), no one in front and no one behind. A local rancher decided it was time to try and get out of his drive. He came down his drive and did not even see me, I swerved and missed him but went into the ditch. Luckly the ditch was shallow and I went in and back out with no damage. I was lucky that time. knock on wood.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. I am deifnately going to try the breaking test in dry and wet road.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:02 AM   #35

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
My husband and I have had similar situations many times on the highways around here. Someone will stop to turn left, the car in front of us swerves right to go around that guy, and you find yourself rapidly approaching a completely stopped car with very little warning. I could easily see this accident happening to ourselves.

Glad you're ok!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:07 AM   #36

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglemate View Post

The visibility was not good, and the stopped car had no flashers. In defense of the cars in front of me, I expect one really could not perceive it was stopped (It was in park, no brake lights) until it registered mentally that the closure rate was too rapid, as opposed to seeing brake lights.
Stopped in a traffic lane, no brake lights or hazard lights and in park?

If these can be established as facts, the worst case would probably be split liability between you. While the Mercedes driver may be able to argue that he thought the officer directed him to stop (rather than move to another lane as you quote the officer as stating) he cannot argue that it's safe to stop on the highway without at least displaying brake lights, preferably hazard flashers.

I have a habit in traffic of activating my hazard flashers if traffic ahead causes me to stop or slow significantly. Sound like the Mercedes owner should have done likewise.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #37
VNO

1975 Argosy 24
Germantown , Tennessee
DKB, yes. And I like that suggestion.

The situation got worse, now that you mention it. My trailer was stuck in the right lane of traffic b/c the officer would not allow me to move it to the side of the road (though the damage to both vehicles was basically paint damage to bumpers).

I knew I was a sitting duck for a tractor trailer who could not stop. I had to argue with the officer to allow me to move out of the lane. He refused, but he did finally move his cruiser behind me with lights on.

That was satisfactory.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Some of our highways have barrels of water protecting bridge pilons in new construction areas, first time for using an airstream that way. One of the few advantages of MH, better view of road ahead, but just as difficult to stop. Hate it when my assured clear distance is compromised by vehicles cutting in front. My foot would have been on the brake when he cut in, maybe shortening the reaction time after his second move. BUT that is second guessing after the fact, which we are all doing giving these opinions.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
My husband and I have had similar situations many times on the highways around here. Someone will stop to turn left, the car in front of us swerves right to go around that guy, and you find yourself rapidly approaching a completely stopped car with very little warning. I could easily see this accident happening to ourselves.

Glad you're ok!
I was in the same boat. Slippery snow covered city road and two cars in front of me changed lanes to pass a slow moving Honda. The two young girls in the Honda were crawling along looking for a house number. I had no chance of stopping and rear ended the Honda. No one hurt. Even though the Honda had no signals, brake lights, or flashers on I was blamed 100%. The young male cop apparently took a fancy to the young gal driving the car....
Old 11-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #40
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I have a habit in traffic of activating my hazard flashers if traffic ahead causes me to stop or slow significantly.
Ditto, if I percieve traffic slowing down, on go the four-ways. I also put my arm out the window to warn idiots that are not paying attention.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary

Ditto, if I percieve traffic slowing down, on go the four-ways. I also put my arm out the window to warn idiots that are not paying attention.
On the way back from the piney woods rally we came across two horses that were loose and one good samaritan was trying to round them up just yards from 65 mph highway. I put on my flashers and tried the arm wave.nearly lost my arm. I was amazed at how oblivious drivers were to their surroundings
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:37 PM   #42
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Dunno what the general outlook is where you were, but here the rule of thumb is that if you were following, and managed to hit a vehicle in front of you, you are at fault. (See Road Ruler's comments in post #39)

Of course, then you get involved in our so-called "no fault" insurance, which to this day I have not been able to really get a grip on what that really means.