Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2008, 07:51 AM   #1

2001 30' Excella
Loveland , Colorado
The price of Fuel

This is my first post, so hopefully I do this right.
I was wondering what we are to do, when fuel rises above 100 dollars a barrel. Most of us plan on using our cherished Airstreams to play with during retirement. Will this make retirement a thing of the past? We've all planned (hopefully) to sew up our pensions, trust funds, IRA's or what have you, for that day when we no longer have to rise to the attention of the alarm clock. I now wonder if it will even be practical to think that we can have and enjoy the Airstream we have grown to love as our family member. Don't know how many miles a year can be logged on with gas headed towards $9.00 a gallon in our life times.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpeople
This is my first post, so hopefully I do this right.
I was wondering what we are to do, when fuel rises above 100 dollars a barrel. Most of us plan on using our cherished Airstreams to play with during retirement. Will this make retirement a thing of the past? We've all planned (hopefully) to sew up our pensions, trust funds, IRA's or what have you, for that day when we no longer have to rise to the attention of the alarm clock. I now wonder if it will even be practical to think that we can have and enjoy the Airstream we have grown to love as our family member. Don't know how many miles a year can be logged on with gas headed towards $9.00 a gallon in our life times.
Welcome to the airforums!

What will we do? Pay more! Seriously, this question gets asked every time fuel prices go up. IMO rising fuel costs and the general lowering of the standard of living we've all been used to in North America due to the outflow of capital to global markets will result in a reduction in the length of trips, smaller trailers and expecially more fuel efficient tow vehicles. But the continued popularity of RV'ing is ensured due to the retiring mass of baby boomers with paid off mortgages with plenty of time on their hands.

JMHO.
Gary
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

You have raised some very valid points regarding this fuel price thing. We have been retired for 5 years now. We are very fortunate as we are still (barely) on the sunny side of 60. For the last two years we have been really enjoying our Airstream adventures and are spending at least 25% of our time in Lucy on the road.

The rising fuel price has been concerning us. We don't like the situation, but have decided that we will continue on as before. We realize that we are very fortunate to be able to do this.

We are concerned about the state of our nation's economy if gas continues rise significantly. This could signal the eventual end of our middle class society which will render us just another third world country. What a shame.

We are hopeful that energy technology will be able to take the pressure off of fossil fuels. I hope to live to see the day when oil production provides only a small percentage of our energy needs, and the Middle East becomes a place where goat herding and camel husbandry are, once agian, the primary business pursuits.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
The price seen at the pump is the least of the fuel worries. It's the rise in prices throughout the economy as a result that will hit us hardest.
Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by henw
The price seen at the pump is the least of the fuel worries. It's the rise in prices throughout the economy as a result that will hit us hardest.
Tom
I agree. Say how's that 08 F250 you have there doing?
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Travelling with a vintage Airstream is still much more affordable than staying in decent hotels and eating in restaurants. I'd agree that more efficient tow vehicles, e.g. smaller diesels, will help, but the main solution will be to drive less by seeking out interesting destinations closer to home, and saving up for the major long distance trips to major attractions.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF
Travelling with a vintage Airstream is still much more affordable than staying in decent hotels and eating in restaurants. I'd agree that more efficient tow vehicles, e.g. smaller diesels, will help, but the main solution will be to drive less by seeking out interesting destinations closer to home, and saving up for the major long distance trips to major attractions.
Agree Albert.. Ten years ago we were doing a major trip every year. East coast, west coast, down south etc. Now it is mostly shorter trips with a longer one at 2 or 3 year intervals.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Greensburg , Pennsylvania
As a young retiree my plans have already changed. We now take shorter trips instead of longer as we had hoped to do. It's not that I can't afford $3.59 diesel fuel it's just that I refuse to do it . If a small % of the American Public would do the same I believe the price will drop. I'm just glad I'm not a camp ground owner.
pintoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Having just retired on the 3rd the question is very important to the wife and I. We were traveling back from the 2008 Can Opener rally and discussed it somewhat. We felt shorter trips with longer stays at near by campgrounds. Smaller trailers and more efficient TV. TV should last longer due to shorter trips. I also feel everyone else has the same problem no matter what they do for fun, the impact will reach those who ski, fly, power boaters, all forms of recreation. Europe has had high gas prices for decades and they still RV, the industry will have to adjust. It did makes us feel good that we own a sailboat of course the cost of sails will rise.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:49 PM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pintoman
As a young retiree my plans have already changed. We now take shorter trips instead of longer as we had hoped to do. It's not that I can't afford $3.59 diesel fuel it's just that I refuse to do it . If a small % of the American Public would do the same I believe the price will drop. I'm just glad I'm not a camp ground owner.
It would drop but not by much. Oil is a world commodity and unfortunately the US imports about 60% of what we consume in terms of oil...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #11
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
A lot of things can kick retirement plans in the keester besides rising fuel prices. My bride and I WERE on track to retire in 2010 until 9/11. The airlines took a beating and took it out on the employees and poof there went the early retirement plans. So back to the drawing board and see what we could come up with.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
For us it won't really matter. We'll still go where and when we want. It will impact other things, like the number of times we eat out when we are at home. We'll still eat at restaurants while traveling and in the trailer when camped. I'll want to update the technology in the '57 wagon when it makes sense.

I suspect we'll see gas continue to climb in the next 10 years so get out on the road now and enjoy the world.

Barry
Old 01-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Dot to dot

I retired in '93, my wife in '01. We are into Airstream Rallys, Street Rod events and we fly sport kites at Kite Festivals.

We are already picking and choosing our events so that, much of the time, we can play dot to dot from one event to another, rather than coming home between. With the price of ruel over $3.00, we are finding that it is much cheaper to stay over at a place, and then go on to the next event, and lots more fun.

That means more nights in our Airstream, not less. More revenue for RV parks and campgrounds, less spent on fuel and truck maintenance.

Look at the bright side.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We won't cancel trips because of fuel prices. Mainly, it's a matter of belt-tightening in areas where we splurge: Going out to eat rather than cooking, buying gifts, that sort of thing.

Lynn
Old 01-07-2008, 05:22 PM   #15
Cyclist

Windermere , Florida
"was wondering what we are to do, when fuel rises above 100 dollars a barrel. Most of us plan on using our cherished Airstreams to play with during retirement. Will this make retirement a thing of the past?"

I don't think retirement is going to be such a sure thing in the future. Our government is so far in debt that despite what the politicians promise, social benefits will have to tighten up. I personally plan to continue working, just, somewhat less. I like the flexibility a controllable income provides.
As for oil, demand drives price. And, we are energy hogs. Just look about your own homes and communities. Imagine what a difference just a few changes would make. For example: Eliminate electric outdoor ad signs. Car pooling. Heat on demand water heaters. Fluorescent bulbs. Lights off when not in use. Close the refrigerator quickly. Thermostat regulation. Navy showers. Purchase of goods produced closer to home. Etc etc. We all know these things. I can tell you though that as I write this there are lights on in my house that don't need to be, and, the wife has the AC running too cold.
Make it hurt enough and people will change, but, hurt is what it will take before significant energy demand drops.
Tom
Two big screens
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by henw

and, the wife has the AC running too cold.

Tom
Tom

EXCUSE ME? The wife has the AC running too cold??? You say that while many of us are living in virtual deep freezes right now with extremely crappy weather? Heck, we don't even need AC in the summer where we live. You are just taunting us, right? Wait till I show this to my wife, who has the furnace cranked up.

Oh yeah, your other points about effective energy conservation, buying products produced nearby etc. all make sense. It comes down to actually doing it.

As for the $100 barrel of oil it's interesting reading that the price was manipulated there by one trader for one trading period and is considered to have been an ego trade thing. Certainly it's going to go well above that on a consistent basis in the future based on how the world is (d)evolving. But who'd of thought it would be where it's at when it suddenly hit $60. I'm just glad I bought into stocks in the oil industry then. It helps to ease the pain.

Barry
Old 01-07-2008, 05:54 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Greensburg , Pennsylvania
Oil Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
It would drop but not by much. Oil is a world commodity and unfortunately the US imports about 60% of what we consume in terms of oil...
Aaron, the price of oil is driven by market speculators ,today the news of warm weather in the N. East caused a sell off of oil futures and the price started to drop. I say use less ,and demand will drop along with price , don't expect President Bush to call for conservation.
pintoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #18
Cyclist

Windermere , Florida
"EXCUSE ME? The wife has the AC running too cold??? "

Yes, it was close to 80 degrees today. Florida weather varies quite a bit this time of year. We're about 5 miles from Disney.
Last week the night time lows got into the high 20's just north of here. (Lowest temps in 3 yrs.) We were camping near Ocala and had the outdoor water hose nearly freeze.
Nice thing about Fla. is that the cold weather always passes in a few days.

Tom
Two big screens
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:37 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Snowy Buffalo

WACKEY weather...65 degrees here in snow country for the last two days!
Old 01-08-2008, 07:13 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
If it makes you feel any better, towing my Airstream I get twice the mpg that I had on my old class C motorhome. And after arriving at a campground we can disconnect and explore at even higher mpg. In retirement I will take more time on longer trips, so the cost per day will not be so bad. Also, you can drive slower to use less fuel... have lots of time, every day is Saturday! Assume a 2,000 mile round trip at 11 mpg at $3/gal = $545, at $5/gal = $909. If I slow down I could get 13 mpg at $3/gal = $461 and $5/gal = $769. Yes - it's still a lot for gas, but try to get airfare for two, plus hotel and rental car for 2-6 weeks for anything close to the cost of camping (while staying at government campsites anyway).

On a similar topic... for my small airplane - I'm currently paying $4/gal for airplane gas and using 13 gph, for $52/hr. There are options here too... I can get an STC to certify my plane for car gas (without alcohol) which could save up to $1/gal, and I could buy a multi-cylinder graphical EGT to go with my GAMIjectors and run lean of peak to save 1-2 gph. At $3/gal and 11 gph the fuel cost would fall to $33/hr. Thats about 15.5 mpg, so it's not as wasteful as it sounds.

Where there is a will, there is a way!