Old 01-07-2008, 06:22 PM   #15
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
"was wondering what we are to do, when fuel rises above 100 dollars a barrel. Most of us plan on using our cherished Airstreams to play with during retirement. Will this make retirement a thing of the past?"

I don't think retirement is going to be such a sure thing in the future. Our government is so far in debt that despite what the politicians promise, social benefits will have to tighten up. I personally plan to continue working, just, somewhat less. I like the flexibility a controllable income provides.
As for oil, demand drives price. And, we are energy hogs. Just look about your own homes and communities. Imagine what a difference just a few changes would make. For example: Eliminate electric outdoor ad signs. Car pooling. Heat on demand water heaters. Fluorescent bulbs. Lights off when not in use. Close the refrigerator quickly. Thermostat regulation. Navy showers. Purchase of goods produced closer to home. Etc etc. We all know these things. I can tell you though that as I write this there are lights on in my house that don't need to be, and, the wife has the AC running too cold.
Make it hurt enough and people will change, but, hurt is what it will take before significant energy demand drops.
Tom

Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by henw

and, the wife has the AC running too cold.

Tom
Tom

EXCUSE ME? The wife has the AC running too cold??? You say that while many of us are living in virtual deep freezes right now with extremely crappy weather? Heck, we don't even need AC in the summer where we live. You are just taunting us, right? Wait till I show this to my wife, who has the furnace cranked up.

Oh yeah, your other points about effective energy conservation, buying products produced nearby etc. all make sense. It comes down to actually doing it.

As for the $100 barrel of oil it's interesting reading that the price was manipulated there by one trader for one trading period and is considered to have been an ego trade thing. Certainly it's going to go well above that on a consistent basis in the future based on how the world is (d)evolving. But who'd of thought it would be where it's at when it suddenly hit $60. I'm just glad I bought into stocks in the oil industry then. It helps to ease the pain.

Barry

Old 01-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Greensburg , Pennsylvania
Oil Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
It would drop but not by much. Oil is a world commodity and unfortunately the US imports about 60% of what we consume in terms of oil...
Aaron, the price of oil is driven by market speculators ,today the news of warm weather in the N. East caused a sell off of oil futures and the price started to drop. I say use less ,and demand will drop along with price , don't expect President Bush to call for conservation.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:32 PM   #18
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
"EXCUSE ME? The wife has the AC running too cold??? "

Yes, it was close to 80 degrees today. Florida weather varies quite a bit this time of year. We're about 5 miles from Disney.
Last week the night time lows got into the high 20's just north of here. (Lowest temps in 3 yrs.) We were camping near Ocala and had the outdoor water hose nearly freeze.
Nice thing about Fla. is that the cold weather always passes in a few days.

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:37 AM   #19
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Snowy Buffalo

WACKEY weather...65 degrees here in snow country for the last two days!

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:13 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
If it makes you feel any better, towing my Airstream I get twice the mpg that I had on my old class C motorhome. And after arriving at a campground we can disconnect and explore at even higher mpg. In retirement I will take more time on longer trips, so the cost per day will not be so bad. Also, you can drive slower to use less fuel... have lots of time, every day is Saturday! Assume a 2,000 mile round trip at 11 mpg at $3/gal = $545, at $5/gal = $909. If I slow down I could get 13 mpg at $3/gal = $461 and $5/gal = $769. Yes - it's still a lot for gas, but try to get airfare for two, plus hotel and rental car for 2-6 weeks for anything close to the cost of camping (while staying at government campsites anyway).

On a similar topic... for my small airplane - I'm currently paying $4/gal for airplane gas and using 13 gph, for $52/hr. There are options here too... I can get an STC to certify my plane for car gas (without alcohol) which could save up to $1/gal, and I could buy a multi-cylinder graphical EGT to go with my GAMIjectors and run lean of peak to save 1-2 gph. At $3/gal and 11 gph the fuel cost would fall to $33/hr. Thats about 15.5 mpg, so it's not as wasteful as it sounds.

Where there is a will, there is a way!
Old 01-08-2008, 09:07 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
When my wife and I boated on the Great Lakes (mid 80's) gasoline was much less but fuel for boats was still nearly $2 per gallon. With a boat that, at cruise speed, would run about 25 - 27 gallons PER HOUR, it was an expensive toy!! Not to mention storage, haul-out in winter, winterizing, repairs, insurance, maintenance, etc.... I don't care how expensive gasoline might get, it will NEVER be as expensive to 'stream as it was to boat! As many have pointed out before my post, we simply "pick and choose." We all make choices every day and if we want to continue to 'stream, we will find a way to do it. We have recently purchased our first AS and it is still at the dealer's awaiting SPRING (will it ever get here???) We are still looking forward to our first overnighter - our first meal in it - our first trip to another state - and on and on. We do not fear the future - we have planned for this and we will do it for as long as we wish because that's what we WANT to do!! Sure, it might be tough from time to time but we will do it!! We've already planned for our first weekend visit (three nights at a State Park), our first trip (eight nights in Lancaster, PA) and our first extended trip to New Mexico and Arizona. Best wishes to all with their future 'streaming.
Prodigy Brakes
REMEMBER, "It is better to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool,
Than to open it, and remove all doubt."
Old 01-08-2008, 09:46 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Our concern is our Health. We can adjust, re group and set priorities.
Stay healthy all else falls into place. There are ALWAYS changes.

We will try to enjoy Good Health and plan to travel in our Airstream.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:07 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We've always tended to be boondockers and are fortunate to live in an area where remote camping is a few hours away, so our activities won't change much. Our rig gets 14-18mpg depending on conditions so if gas doubles in the near future it's not a big deal.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:52 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
It may be interesting to look at fuel prices in 1970 and compare them with today's prices - with inflation factored in. Has it really gone up?
Old 01-08-2008, 04:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
It may be interesting to look at fuel prices in 1970 and compare them with today's prices - with inflation factored in. Has it really gone up?
I just researched this last week.

It is just about on par with vehicles, wages, etc.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Higher fuel prices will have its affect on a lot of people retired or not. I am retired but my wife still works. I have only so much monthly income. The higher fuel prices take away those extras we use to purchase for ourselves. Most of our income is going to the price of fuel and the domino effect it has on everything we touch.

We took a 12,000 mile trip last year and will do another on this year. Since we will be using private membership campgrounds this will off set the higher desiel prices especially in CA. These higher fuel prices keep us from spending a lot of extra money on our trips. We do all our meals in the RV.

We will continue to use our AS as long as we can afford it but there is a point where we not be able to.

As the prices continue to climb our trips will be much shorter with longer stays. We have already seen this trend with a lot of full timers.

Regardless of what type of fuel we use it is going to be high including the alternative fuels.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria
Our concern is our Health. We can adjust, re group and set priorities.
Stay healthy all else falls into place. There are ALWAYS changes.

We will try to enjoy Good Health and plan to travel in our Airstream.
Here, Here!
Old 01-08-2008, 10:42 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Hmmm the way I see it from south of the border is...

A hike of .72 a gallon in a year....the avg MPG is lets say 12mpg towing that would be if my math is correct.06cents a mile - so for the average say 500 mile trip the extra cost is hmm a whopping $30.00

Now in my terms that would be less than a case of Canadian Wobbly Pops - so Aria I am with you....instead of buying expensive Beer - we will switch over completely to home made Merlot

Now I know the Europeans have been paying out big bucks for their gas - but don't forget - we do too.....our price is per liter - and there are about four of them per gallon - so right now we are paying $4.32 a gallon.

That is only a 15 cent increase over last year. The difference for us now - is that our dollar is great! in one respect. But it is all relative - now everything is more expensive in the States - so where is the savings?

Most who travel look at the life time adventure more than the pocket book - the gas prices are just escalated because of the media and the hype - but take a close look at all the other impacts on yours and our economy they are much worse than the constant fluctuating oil prices....and we have tons in our own country and it makes no difference on the world market for the cost passed on to the consumer here...

I put my money with wise use of recreational vehicles - either better planning or down sizing - after all we do have the great out doors for our rec room, living room, social parlor, etc etc.

Safe travels - and tune up those vehicles to get the best mileage possible.

Get busy living or get busy fussin over things you can not change.....