Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2008, 08:07 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
When my wife and I boated on the Great Lakes (mid 80's) gasoline was much less but fuel for boats was still nearly $2 per gallon. With a boat that, at cruise speed, would run about 25 - 27 gallons PER HOUR, it was an expensive toy!! Not to mention storage, haul-out in winter, winterizing, repairs, insurance, maintenance, etc.... I don't care how expensive gasoline might get, it will NEVER be as expensive to 'stream as it was to boat! As many have pointed out before my post, we simply "pick and choose." We all make choices every day and if we want to continue to 'stream, we will find a way to do it. We have recently purchased our first AS and it is still at the dealer's awaiting SPRING (will it ever get here???) We are still looking forward to our first overnighter - our first meal in it - our first trip to another state - and on and on. We do not fear the future - we have planned for this and we will do it for as long as we wish because that's what we WANT to do!! Sure, it might be tough from time to time but we will do it!! We've already planned for our first weekend visit (three nights at a State Park), our first trip (eight nights in Lancaster, PA) and our first extended trip to New Mexico and Arizona. Best wishes to all with their future 'streaming.
Prodigy Brakes
REMEMBER, "It is better to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool,
Than to open it, and remove all doubt."
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:46 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Our concern is our Health. We can adjust, re group and set priorities.
Stay healthy all else falls into place. There are ALWAYS changes.

We will try to enjoy Good Health and plan to travel in our Airstream.
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:07 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We've always tended to be boondockers and are fortunate to live in an area where remote camping is a few hours away, so our activities won't change much. Our rig gets 14-18mpg depending on conditions so if gas doubles in the near future it's not a big deal.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
It may be interesting to look at fuel prices in 1970 and compare them with today's prices - with inflation factored in. Has it really gone up?
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
It may be interesting to look at fuel prices in 1970 and compare them with today's prices - with inflation factored in. Has it really gone up?
I just researched this last week.

It is just about on par with vehicles, wages, etc.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Higher fuel prices will have its affect on a lot of people retired or not. I am retired but my wife still works. I have only so much monthly income. The higher fuel prices take away those extras we use to purchase for ourselves. Most of our income is going to the price of fuel and the domino effect it has on everything we touch.

We took a 12,000 mile trip last year and will do another on this year. Since we will be using private membership campgrounds this will off set the higher desiel prices especially in CA. These higher fuel prices keep us from spending a lot of extra money on our trips. We do all our meals in the RV.

We will continue to use our AS as long as we can afford it but there is a point where we not be able to.

As the prices continue to climb our trips will be much shorter with longer stays. We have already seen this trend with a lot of full timers.

Regardless of what type of fuel we use it is going to be high including the alternative fuels.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:14 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria
Our concern is our Health. We can adjust, re group and set priorities.
Stay healthy all else falls into place. There are ALWAYS changes.

We will try to enjoy Good Health and plan to travel in our Airstream.
Here, Here!
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:42 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hmmm the way I see it from south of the border is...

A hike of .72 a gallon in a year....the avg MPG is lets say 12mpg towing that would be if my math is correct.06cents a mile - so for the average say 500 mile trip the extra cost is hmm a whopping $30.00

Now in my terms that would be less than a case of Canadian Wobbly Pops - so Aria I am with you....instead of buying expensive Beer - we will switch over completely to home made Merlot

Now I know the Europeans have been paying out big bucks for their gas - but don't forget - we do too.....our price is per liter - and there are about four of them per gallon - so right now we are paying $4.32 a gallon.

That is only a 15 cent increase over last year. The difference for us now - is that our dollar is great! in one respect. But it is all relative - now everything is more expensive in the States - so where is the savings?

Most who travel look at the life time adventure more than the pocket book - the gas prices are just escalated because of the media and the hype - but take a close look at all the other impacts on yours and our economy they are much worse than the constant fluctuating oil prices....and we have tons in our own country and it makes no difference on the world market for the cost passed on to the consumer here...

I put my money with wise use of recreational vehicles - either better planning or down sizing - after all we do have the great out doors for our rec room, living room, social parlor, etc etc.

Safe travels - and tune up those vehicles to get the best mileage possible.

Get busy living or get busy fussin over things you can not change.....
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:39 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
go while you can

Roy was disabled in 94 and in 95 we bought a slide in camper for our pickup and took our first vacation in 22 years. we went to Pikes peak and yellowstone visited lots of local musuems. we didn't have a lot of money to spare but we were hooked on the seeing the usa. I retired in 96 and we bought a tagalong .we made at least one long trip and lots of short trips every year. we spent one thanksgiving at the beach on padre island with our kids and grandkids, Without our camper we would not have spent a week in Florida nor would we hve went to Roswell, White Sands,Meteor Crater , Petrified Forest, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Las Vegas, Sequoia Forest,Yosemite NP, Lake Tahoe,Central Oregon Utah Dinosaur Digsite, Glacier NP, Crazy horse monument, Mt Rushmore, and countless other points of intrest along the way.The very best trip was the 5 weeks we spent with our 3 great grand kids in 2000 seeing the wild animals and geysers at yellowstone and watching them play in the cold mtn streams and snow at Glacier. In 2004 Roy's health began to fail and we sold our trailer and bought our Airstream MH that Roy had been watching for a couple of years, We loved it and could continue to go places. He made sue that it was in a condition that I could go when and where I wanted to without him, We didn't get to travel in 07 as he just wasn't able and I lost him in Aug. In Dec I went on my first trip alone to an airstream rally. Ot went good. no problems with traffic and I had a very good trip. My income is now much less than before , but ny needs and wants are less as well. I plan to do a good bit of going this year, I may go to Montana to spend time with family. I know that I plan to spend at least a week in Okla. this spring.

Money was never in abundance. We just had to plan how we used what was available, If you stay a week at some parks it is like 1 free day. The Trailer life directory saved us money on places to stay as it gave us options ahead of arrival.

I wouldn't take anything for the memories we made with the kids and grandkids nor the fun we had togeather.

I say to each and every one that life is too short to worry about what we might not be able to do, Enjoy today and plan for a fun time this year, Next year will be here soon your health or the health of a loved one can make future plans change, Just go now and sit in the shade of the trees and watch the birds or look at the water of a lake or ocean,

I hope for each of you to have at least 10 good travel years like Roy and I shared. I intend to do more traveling either alone or with a family member

Kay
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:16 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
I took on a new career challenge when I was in my mid-fifties and with it came a drastic reduction in income. Because my income never regained its previous level we had to learn to live much more conservatively. The silver lining in this was the way it prepared us for our retirement in 2002 (my wife was my secretary). We had already learned that one can live quite well on a lot less income than the experts figure; you just have to be very careful and in agreement about life-style.

We knew going into retirement that one of our priorities would be our use of the Airstream, mostly for visits to see kids and other family members. As fuel prices have increased we've had those discussions about how long we're going to keep traveling. Our decision is, we'll plan trips more carefully, make sure the TV is in tip-top shape to maximize fuel mileage, keep speed down to the maximum economy range, etc., but we'll keep traveling on.

For a 3000 mile trip last fall (my average pull), my fuel cost was about $700. If diesel prices rise to $5.00 the trip will cost about $1100.00. I don't like the rising prices, but the clock is ticking on my ability to tow safely and I'm not going to fritter the time away just because I don't want to pay the cost!

Now, a little reality check-- when we married, gas was 28 cents per gallon (I think diesel was around 22 cents). A well equipped mid-size car was priced around $2500.00. Today we think we got a bargain if we get a well equipped mid-sized car for less than $30,000.00. If my math is correct, that is about the same multiple as the increase in gas prices. However, because of advanced automotive technology that gallon of gas takes my 1995 Lincoln Continental almost 200% farther today than the 1955 gas took my 1951 Mercury.

Just thinking about the comparisons on housing prices then and now will spin you into a depression!

I remember reading about a family gathered in the lawyer's office for the reading of their father's will. The lawyer began to read, "Being of sound mind--I spent it all!" Our fuel costs puts new meaning into that bumper sticker that reads. "I'm spending my kid's inheritance."

Gene
Old 01-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Carnegie1935 (Kay)

What a wonderful post. It's sad to learn of your husband's passing, but inspirational to know that for 10 years you two really made a wonderful life of traveling in your Airstream.

I was really pleased to see that you continue to use your motor home. May you have many wonderful trips, and perhaps we will see you on the road in our own travels.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Barry
Old 01-09-2008, 08:18 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
If I were a Presidential Canadate, my central issue would be a challenge....to every college and university in the land....to be 90% self fueled, and 10% petrol self sustaining fueld. by 2029.

The prize would be $1,000,000,000.
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:17 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
FAYETTEVILLE , Arkansas
$1,000,000,000! I'll go back to school and study much harder to get that prize.
gyandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:30 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyandell
$1,000,000,000! I'll go back to school and study much harder to get that prize.
gyandell - I'm right there with you on this one. Let me know when we start. Oh, wait a minute, KeithC said IF he were president. darn, there goes the new 25 footer I was hoping for....

Barry
Old 01-10-2008, 07:28 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
FAYETTEVILLE , Arkansas
What we need to do as a government is not allow the oil companies to buy the patents for technology that benefits the greater good of the human race and the planet. You know they have it. They are waiting til they can introduce and control it as well. Soon we will be taxed on our solar use. Electric cars do not pay a fuel tax for the roads. Are they going to be arrested for tax evasion. Laugh! It happened already on people using waste veggie oil.It seems any time someone tries to help a little they get pushed in the dirt. Ethanol, Biofuels will never meet the need of our consumption. We have a crippling weapon in our arsenal as a country. Stop driving for two days as a country and see what happens. Well, enough of all this nonsense. I'm going to get in my f250 fuel guzzler and drive down to the corner "stop and go" and get me a honey bun. Round trip 4 miles $1.20 in fuel, .99 cents for the honey bun, trans fatty acid bliss....priceless
gyandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:18 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
There is hope. Hanging out in Fort Collins, in route to California out of Michign and filled up on e85 for 2.09/gallon. Average for e85 on this trip is about 2.50.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote