Old 05-09-2009, 12:55 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Question The Origin of AS Passion

Hello Everybody,

I just found this site by a google search, and I am excited to be surrounded by others that share my passion for AS. I am currently searching for my first AS.

I wanted to hear from everybody where they first discovered an AS. And how they feel in love with Airstreams.

For me, it was when I was a kid, and I was camping in Uniontown. In our campsite was this beautiful authentic piece of America. It was shining and I looked at myself in the reflection and I knew I was in love.

It was so unique, and so beautiful. I knew one day I would have one for myself. I am currently working, and saving up for one. I plan on buying one, and becoming full timer.

Life is long, but it goes by quick.
Streampowerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:57 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
Welcome Andrew

First of all welcome to the forum, and good luck in your search for your AS. Join us for a rally or two while you search for that "Special Rig", and get to know some other silver addicts. You may want to consider other silver brands too.

Best of Luck,

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:22 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Thanks. Although I am stuck on Airstreams. That is the only brand for me.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:01 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Welcome. For me it is the metal. I am a welder by trade and am especially fond of aluminum. Additionally, the distinct look that still looks a great deal like the originals appeals to me.........kind of like how a new Harley still looks like and "old" Harley.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Welcome. About 15 years ago we moved into a new neighborhood. Neighbor across the road had a 32' coach, was retired and toured the SW for about half the year. When he was back he'd show us pictures of his travels. We got hooked.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
I know what you mean Ahab. I have this picture on my desktop, it is of an airstream in the early 60's in front of a sculpture curved from sandstone in a mountain in Iran. That picture couldn't be taken today, but to be on an adventure like that. It would be amazing.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
The Origin of AS Passion

Greetings Andrew!

I was first bitten by the Airstream bug when I was five years old in 1964. Friends of my family had just purchased a new Airstream Overlander (their second Airstream). I was invited to go on a short camping trip that summer and was hooked -- those hammock bunks were fascinating to a five year old!

The picture below is of the Overlander in about 1968:

Our friends retired from traveling and sold the Overlander in 1980. I had an opportunity to purchase it for less than $4,000, but it was beyond my budget as a college student.

By 1995, the Airstream bug was becoming active again, and I began the search for my first Airstream. For six months, I would drive to see any Airstream advertised within 300 miles of my home -- it seemed like each one had a few of the features that I wanted, but not all. Finally, just before I gave up looking for the winter, I decided to travel to look at a '64 Airstream advertised as being 28'. After two hours of trying to find the owner's location -- I finally spied the trailer. I had just walked in the door and realized that this was the coach for me and two hours later, I was writing my check for the deposit and making arrangements to pick up the Overlander two weeks later.

What I didn't know at the time, was that there was probably another reason that this coach seemed to call to me. I learned a few months later that this was actually the coach that our friends had owned, and I was now its third owner.

The coach as it appeared when I purchased it in 1995:

The coach as it appears today:

Very recently, I have had new aluminum wheels added but haven't taken any photos since that addition was made.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:03 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
your AS is really beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
I have been fascinated with Airstreams ever since I was about 10 years old. We lived in a small mountain town. I saw one come through one day and thought it was a spaceship or something. I have a huge admiration of flying and Airstreams have a lot of similarity to aircraft. I knew I would own one sometime.
Steve "Centennial Man"
centennialman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member
1988 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Mt. Pleasant , South Carolina
My grandparents had Airstreams when they retired in the 1970s. My brothers and I would go with them and spend much of the summers at various campgrounds. Their home base and favorite campground was Hunting Island state park (in SC, off Beaufort--which is still my favorite place in the world to camp). I fell in love with camping and with Airstreams then and there.
We got our first one about 5 years ago--wanted my own kids to experience what I had experienced. Some of my fondest memories are of camping with my grandparents and hope that my kids will look back fondly on the time we have spent in the Airstream. They love to go now at ages 8 and 5 and it would warm my heart if, when grown with their own kids, they would continue the tradition. Suspect they will.
Good luck in your search.
Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master
1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
My family were Airstreamers. Growing up, I spent my summers in my parents' Airstream when they would take me and my brother on vacations and weekend trips. When I take my AS on a trip, I can't help but feel a connection to those days as a boy and the excitement I felt when dad would start hitching up the AS for our next outing. As an adult, when I started shopping for a camper of my own, there simply was no other choice. It had to be an Airstream or nothing.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
1997 Chevy C3500 Crew Cab Dually 6.5L Turbo Diesel
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member
2008 20' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Origin of Airstream Passion

Andrew, good luck in your quest to join the Airstream lifestyle. My interest in Airstream trailers harkens back over 60 years ago when on a summer trip to visit family in Colorado, somewhere between Lordsburg and Deming New Mexico, out of the heat waves coming off the highway, I thought I was seeing a mirage. This silver image slowly took form as it progressed toward us. I asked my Dad what it was? He said that it was an Airstream. As it went by heading west, I couldn't help but exclaim, "damn, that is really neat". My Mom reached back and slapped me on the top of my head and said not to use profanity. Even though I now own an Airstream, I still think to myself, 'damn, that is really neat" each time I see one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0371.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	668.3 KB
ID:	79970  
smeltersmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:12 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member
2003 25' Safari
spokane , Washington
I grew up in SoCal, and my folks used to take us to Disneyland (it was still out in the orange groves then!). Anyway, after taking Rosemead Blvd past the Nike missle base at Whittier Narrows, we jumped on the 2 lanes each way Santa Anna Freeway and just before we got to Wallyworld there was a billboard with a picture of Wally AND an Airstream trailer stuck on top of it. I thought then what a cool trailer, I will have one someday. The Nike base is gone, the orange groves are gone, the billboard and factory are gone, but my Safari isn't!

wasafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:04 AM   #14
Rivet Master
2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Wink The Passion Of The Airstream

The "passion" infected me when I was a kid in the late 60's early 70's. When my family would run down I-95 to visit my mom's relatives in North Carolina and I would count Airstreams on the interstate and thought they were the coolest thing on wheels and fell in love with their shine and shape. Flash forward 4 decades and I was finally in a position to own one. Then the bug bit hard and a year later I had two. Now we are searching for number 3 for my daughter, son-in-law, and grandson (at least that's what I tell my wife)

I love older classic modes of transportation and I lump Airstreams in with the timeless beauty of DC-3's and Model A Fords.

PS - I also sent you a PM invite to some rallies in your neck of the woods.

Carl, Elaine & Finn The Beagle
2006 30' Classic W Slide & Limited Package Katarina
2006 GMC 2500 HD 6.6 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab 8' Bed
AIR #14487
WBCCI #7429
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote

discover, find, first experience