Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
Saltspring , British Columbia
The Oregon Coast

Taking my new (to me) 16' Bambi on her inaugural road trip, and I'm looking for advice on a spectacular commercial or government campsite along the northern part of the Oregon Coastline - say 50 miles north or south of Canon Beach (or Canon Beach itself) Has anyone got a favourites spot - you know, one of those 'in your dreams' spots overlooking crashing surf etc?
We plant to continue on down to northern California and are looking for the same down there somewhere. As we are complete trailer life virgins, any and all advice greatly appreciated. We are now of the age where death marches up mountains with tents is not so appealing.
Peter and Nancy
cafediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
The Oregon State Parks are the most trailer friendly that I have found.

Oregon Parks and Recreation Department: State Parks Campgrounds

The Oregon coast is the most visitor friendly of the three west coast states. For a first stop I would recommend Fort Stevens State Park at the mouth of the Columbia. You won't find breath taking views of the ocean from your campsite, but you will find nice wooded campsites with full or partial hookups. The beach is just a hike or bike ride away. There are very nice bike and hiking trails through the woods and the historic old coast artillery fort, where the only attack against the continental US during WWII occurred. (if you don't count the incendiary balloons.)

There are more nice parks along the rest of the coast. Check the link above.

You are not apt to find a view as you have described for RV's although there are several resorts that rent rooms with that type of view.

Most of the coast line has been preserved for all to enjoy, with excellent views right from HWY 101.

This was not a paid announcement. In fact it comes from a native and 50 year resident of Washington state who now resides in Colorado.

Regards,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
There's a good commercial campground in Cannon Beach—it's just east of one of the exits on the highway that is just east of the town. Sorry, can't remember the name. Check: RV Park Reviews :: Home

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Beverly Beach near Newport is really nice.

Depending on the time of year that you plan to travel, reservations are highly recommended for all Oregon state campgrounds. Even in the fall, the weekends are booked at the most popular sites as Oregonians are famous for enjoying their countryside on the weekends.

If you are traveling on 101 along the coast, take your time. The road can be twisty in spots, especially between Tillamook & Lincoln City, as well as between north of Florence to Waldport, and north of Brookings to Port Orford. We drove our 35' AS motorhome along 101 about a month ago & when the curve sign says 35, it means "35."

Having said that, these areas of 101 offer some of the most spectacular scenery anywhere.

If you are a member of the Elks, there are several Elks RV parks along the 101 route in both Oregon & CA - these parks are quiet, friendly, & very reasonable ($15-$25 per night) with hook ups.

Once you are in CA southbound, you will have to stay on 101, as the northern section of CA 1 is not recommended for trailer travel.

Enjoy your trip! Take lots of pictures! And don't be shy about asking questions!
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
We like Harris Beach State Park on the Oregon coast. You are on a bluff above the ocean and can walk down, quite an incline, to the beach. Western Oregon is beautiful.

In Canon we have only stayed in a commercial park; I do not remember it's name but it was across the highway from Canon Beach proper.

Running out of time as we are, hopefully next year we can go there (Oregon/Washington) one more time.

You have to give the State of Oregon kudos for making their "beach and forest beauty" available to the masses.....even though it costs us "masses" a lot now.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Jus came back from Oregon, but did not hit the coast. Picked up volumes of tourist information at the visitor center I found just across the border. One place which picqued my interest was Sea Lions Caves, north of Florence. From what I heard the whole coast is gorgeous.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The CG in Cannon Beach RV Resort and it is on Elk Creek Rd. 101 is an elevated highway at Cannon Beach and I think the exit is marked as Elk Creek Rd. Nonetheless, prepared as we were, we missed the exit and had to turn around. Despite being called a "resort" it is not a $50/night exclusive place, but more like $35.

We stayed at one Oregon State Park (of course, I don't remember the name) and it was quite nice.

We have traveled with the trailer from the beginning of the coast highway* just north of San Francisco to just north of Cannon Beach. From there we drove east across the mountains. People have different stories about the coast and mountain highways, but we drove the whole way, only excepting California's hidden coast around Petrola.

The southernmost part in northern Cal. just north of San Francisco near Venice is daunting. Warning signs are posted about RV's about 1/4 mile after the road begins when it's too late to turn around (good work, CDOT). The hillside is almost at the edge of the road and because the blind, sharp curves are banked, the trailer leans toward the hill and vegetation on the hill. This can upset some drivers. But, we survived without any destruction and the beauty of the area was worth it even if I didn't see much of it being intent on the road.

Those first miles northward toward Pt. Reyes National Seashore seemed long. Driving south might be easier. After that, nothing was that hard. But there are places with switchbacks, blind curves and a BMW itching to pass you where there are no turnouts. Over the past almost 3 years with our Safari, we have taken it many places we have read are too difficult or almost impossible. It depends on what you are willing to do and what experience you have driving on narrow winding roads—move to Colorado and you will get plenty of experience.

It is not easy to find campgrounds right on the ocean. Some Oregon parks are on the ocean, but the camping isn't and you have to walk to the ocean. In some places rivers have large, flat sandy areas at their mouths and people are seen fishing, relaxing and maybe camping. I think in some places overnight camping is illegal, but I don't know for sure.

In Lincoln City, Oregon, there's a Pendleton store in a shopping center that has factory seconds at really good prices. We bought a bedspread to replace the 500 lb. white one that came with the trailer for about $75 there. Lincoln City is 10 or 15 miles of ugly strip development along an otherwise beautiful drive. Finding the Pendleton store requires Goggling for a map—RV parking was behind the shopping center on the south side. There are several Pendleton stores in Oregon and one in Washington near Portland that have the discounted items—you can check the company website to figure out which ones. The last time I looked it was not the best website, but eventually I found what I wanted.

All this is making me want to go to the coast. Best pizza in the west: Upper Crust Pizza in Gualala, Cal.

Gene
Old 08-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I cycled down the coast several years ago and there are a lot of really nice state parks that are fantastic. At least they were back then. I enjoyed many of the parks and have a hard time recommending just one.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Burien , Washington
Nehalem Bay State Park near Manzanita is nice. Manzanita is just a little south of Cannon Beach, 20 minutes maybe.
SRoffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelight View Post
...>snip<....

Once you are in CA southbound, you will have to stay on 101, as the northern section of CA 1 is not recommended for trailer travel....>snip<.... questions!
Can you explain why is that section of CA 1 not recommended for trailers...and does that apply even to small trailers?

Thanks...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

An Example

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Can you explain why is that section of CA 1 not recommended for trailers...and does that apply even to small trailers?

Thanks...
We drove this road in 2002. We were pulling a 15 foot Casita, with a Grand Cherokee. I vowed then never again.

It is beautiful scenery. However the road is winding to the extreme and very narrow for a two lane highway.

My advice:

Rent a Porshe and drive it sans trailer.

Regards,

Ken
Old 08-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Newberry Springs , California
How about the southern Oregon coast..

In mid-June of this year, my wife, and I stayed four nights at Sea Perch RV Resort, eight miles south of Yachats, OR. Long story short, it is a fabulous location with million $$$ views.

Here are a couple of pictures taken from our "back yard".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea Perch5.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	107910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea Perch6.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	107911  

Name:	Sea Perch7.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	107912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea Perch8.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	107913  

edc4080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
We drove this road in 2002. We were pulling a 15 foot Casita, with a Grand Cherokee. I vowed then never again.

It is beautiful scenery. However the road is winding to the extreme and very narrow for a two lane highway.

My advice:

Rent a Porshe and drive it sans trailer.

Regards,

Ken
Thanks, Ken...good to know! We are yearning to take a trip up that direction...taking the Pacific Coast Highway from CA to Wash...in addition to folks' camping recommendations, what's the weather like there in June/July/Aug...we gotta get out of this heat next year!

Thanks!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc4080 View Post
In mid-June of this year, my wife, and I stayed four nights at Sea Perch RV Resort, eight miles south of Yachats, OR. Long story short, it is a fabulous location with million $$$ views.

Here are a couple of pictures taken from our "back yard".
Thanks for that, I'll put that in my places to stay list.

Regards,

Ken
Old 08-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
what's the weather like there in June/July/Aug...we gotta get out of this heat next year!

Thanks!
Very unpredictable (literally), but not likely to be hot.

In early Sept 2007, we left Seattle with a week to get home to Colorado. The weather on the Oregon coast was clear and highs near 80 and predicted to be that way for several days. We arrived at Fort Stevens in mid afternoon and beautiful weather. Luckily we decided to unload the bikes and enjoy the afternoon. We pedaled around for a few hours and settled in for the evening expecting to get some time on the beach the next day.

During the night we heard the dreaded sound of rain on the roof. When we got up it was cool and rainy, and forecast to be so for the next few days. I checked the weather in the Willamette Valley and it was forecast to be nice for the next few days. We packed up, headed over the Coast Range, and found a nice RV park near Eugene. The weather was near 80 once again and very pleasant. We awoke the next morning and were shocked to find the visibility about 1/4 mile and drizzle. OK, we thought, "there are two more mountain ranges to cross between here and home" so we went over the Cascades to La Pine State Park just south of Bend. There we once again found beautiful weather and it stayed that way while we enjoyed ourselves biking, hiking and sight seeing until we had to leave for home.

In Washington and Oregon, you can usually head east and find nicer weather.

Regards,
Ken
Old 08-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #16
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Sea Perch looks like a very nice place and it apparently costs $65/night.

Unless I'm missing something, Cal. 1 does not get to the Oregon border as it sounded like in a previous post. 101 pretty much follows the most northern coast except for one area west of Humboldt Redwoods State Park that contains the small town of Petrola. We've been there and it's nice, sparsely populated and not easy to get to. The roads are narrow and winding. If I remember correctly most of them are dirt. One access is from Ferndale, a town known for Victoriana.

Cal. 1 starts at Leggett where it junctions with 101 (101 stays inland) and crosses the Coast Range. It's slow, winding, and has some steep grades. A lot of logging trucks use it. If they can do it, towing an Airstream is certainly possible and we did it. There's a highway from the east to Ft. Bragg and some people use that to avoid the most northern part of 1. When 1 reaches the coast it is called the Shoreline Hwy and goes to Ft. Bragg, Mendocino, Gualala (it's the Coast Hwy for a short distance there), Sea Ranch, Jenner, Bodega Bay (1 goes inland just south and then returns near Pt. Reyes), then is called the Shoreline Hwy again, Olema (there's a nice CG right to the west of the highway at Olema and if you stay there, you will be camped on the San Andreas Fault). If you go south from Olema, you will get to the most challenging part as I recall it. Cal. 1 goes along the coast to Muir Beach and then east across hills to 101 near Marin City. There are other roads to Olema which may be less challenging.

It's a great drive and as I previously wrote, not for everyone. A lot of straightaways along the ocean, some difficult sections that aren't all that long, but seem it. You have to go slow or slower, but the road is wide enough, though not up to interstate standards. To us, the payoff is worth it, to others it is not. Parts are not too different from the highway around Big Sur, one that some don't ever want to drive again either. But 1 in northern Cal. has more long stretches along the ocean beaches.

Gene
Old 08-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #17
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Our weather experiences on the coast range from rain everyday, always cloudy, to clear and sunny. There doesn't seem to be much in between. It's not usually hot, but it can be. Some months are rainier than others and I'd advise checking on the internet for more info along the various parts of the coast for each month. Ken's right—the further east you go, the less chance of rain, and eventually you may end up in the Oregon desert in the southeast part of the state, more like Nevada and quite close to it.

Gene
Old 08-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #18
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Oregon State parks are the best on the west coast IMO. They are well maintained and in beautiful locations. They can be very busy though and it's not unheard of for there to be no vacancies. I like southbeach park (just south of newport) and would go there instead of beverly beach given the choice. Bandon is also nice further south.

Forums member campcollector is an OR park ranger on the coast and you might message him for specific recommendations.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:57 AM   #19
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
Oregon here we come

this is a great thread...as we are in the process of heading in that direction...We are currently in North Dakota heading thru Montana next, to Glacier Park and then Idaho and thru Washington to the LYH (Land Yacht Harbor) at Olympia for a Labor day stay with friends.

Then we will make our way down the 101 from North of Olympia to as far south as it goes, i suppose.

all of this on the trek to the balloon festival in NM on Oct 1
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:14 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Portland , Oregon
Nehalem Bay and Fort Stevens have modern facilities and beautiful ocean beaches.

Fort Stevens is a huge park with miles of beach, bike trails and a museum.

This photo is from Fort Stevens. It's the walk to the ocean from the campground to watch the sunset.

JT
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1146.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	384.4 KB
ID:	108040  
jtnichols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, oregon