Old 10-11-2014, 06:53 PM   #99
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
So central Oregon is Beautiful

as we left caldwell idaho i had decided to travel US 26 westward; the john day highway, a river by that name follows the road to the town of john day. Us 26 is a two lane road with no shoulders and very few passing lanes. As it leaves Ontario headed west the land is flat and the highway is surrounded by farm land. as you travel west the road become very mountainous and windy and rises in elevation and you find your self driving 200 miles of really mountainous driving…US 26 along the john day river….beautiful drive that ended at cove palisades state park…. near madras oregon…a beautiful lake that resulted in the damming of three rivers in the most beautiful canyon one can imagine.

we stayed there two days and then today headed out on US 26 again headed for Sauvie Island and Reeder Beach…a working farm that also has spots to park right on the columbia river…. the drive on 26 to portland was again a 120 miles of very mountains roads….great fun
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	US26JohnDayRiver.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	364.5 KB
ID:	224129   Click image for larger version

Name:	isthisgrandcanyon.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	224130  

WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #100
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Wonderful pictures. Both eastern Oregon and Washington are hidden treasures.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #101
1 Rivet Member

Petaluma , California
Good read. Inspiring actually. I'm getting close to retirement (couple of years to go!) and trying to convince the wife to let go and travel around, looking for where to land. Talk about living in a tax hungry state...California. Beautiful area I live in but every year there's a new tax or three that the people just love to vote for. I have my eye on a 27FB FC.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #102
Islander

watching the river flow

on the banks of the columbia, watching the barges and ships sail up and down.

On an agricultural oasis; a beautiful island and a U Pick farm on every corner; sweet corn, cabbage, brussels sprouts, apples, pears, u name it at u picket….and PUMPKINS every where among the corn maze's..the reeders settled this island and their get are everywhere…

Here at reeder beach you can park on the banks of the columbia, albeit among the run down remnants of permanent residents…a long ago 80's 310 airstream motor home sits among the weeds….with junk and wrecks all around it…and it has residents…people…and there are thirty or so other motor homes and sobs parked among the walnut and apple trees….

not a fancy place…just a place to sit by the river, on a old bank of sand and watch the river flow…

tomorrow….into washington……

oh by the way…getting a taste of PNW weather…light rain and grey skies part of the time…sunshine part of the time…..beautiful all of the time
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sauvie_Island_farm_MathewDodson.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	224206  
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 10-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #103
Islander

and just now

i went out to the river and looked upward and there were masses of geese…flying south…and they are just streaming south 24 hours Day,,crossing the columbia …

some pictures of reeders beach and its airstream residents…and us

first one is us

columbia river RALLY
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4558.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	224221   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4560.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	344.1 KB
ID:	224222  

Name:	IMG_4564.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	346.2 KB
ID:	224223   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4561.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	224224  

WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 10-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #104
Islander

waterfowl

Ornithological Highlights: Of the 486 bird species found in Oregon, a remarkable 250 of these have been known to use Sauvie Island. Over-wintering waterfowl can number in excess of 200,000……200,000
ducks, geese, and swans. Autumn brings migrating Sandhill cranes, Snow geese, Tundra swans, Cackling and Canada geese. Great Blue Heron and Osprey nest on the island, and Bald eagles both breed and congregate in winter along with wintering Red-tailed Hawks, Northern Harriers, Peregrine Falcons, and the less common Rough-legged Hawks and Merlin. Shorebird numbers have reached 30,000. Three species of birds once common and now rare or unusual on Sauvie Island include the Lewis Woodpecker, Western Meadowlark, and (Streaked) Horned Lark.

AND FOR THE PAST FEW HOURS AND CONTINUING….wave after wave so that sometimes the horizon is black with migrating birds…just amazing
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 10-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wow.

Maggie
Old 10-12-2014, 10:32 PM   #106
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Sounds pretty awesome. How's your trailer holding up under the onslaught? Those are some pretty big birds!
Old 10-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #107
Islander

some how we missed the droppings

but the bird migration to sauvie coincided with our departure early this morning…to the most beautiful pacific northwest sky…a thick fog boiling off the columbia and the road out of the island at an early hour was filled with all sort of farm implements going about the business of growing beautiful and delicious stuff….

and we headed west along historic US 30 as it snakes along the columbia thru towns in oregon the likes of saint helens…with what…a majesty view of the famous mountain…wonder what it was like when the mountain exploded back then……

then to the longview bridge across the columbia…must be a mile high……

up I5 to Olympia and the Washington Land Yacht Harbor…..a WBCCI airstream park and housing in a gated area…lots of room to park and there is no shortage of aluminum…… there are hundreds of all makes and models

Is that not a 56 whale tail…it is beautiful……sitting alone in storage…..weep….weep

the weather is great…60's…some rain…some shine….

I AM IN WASHINGTON…..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4570.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	224346   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4566.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	224347  

Name:	IMG_4571.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	224348  
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 10-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #108
Islander

the first day in washington

it rained talked with a friend that lives here and she said it's gonna rain at 5 o clock…sure enough it did an then on and off all night

and the leaK AROUND MY SKYLIGHT that I had CAMPER CLINIC II In BUDA…may i never see or hear of them again, fix not a month ago….started dripping with the rain…

oh well doesn't leak when it doesn't rain….but i am in the great PNW in the rainy season…went to home depot and bought buckets…..

but ..because of the rain…everything here is green…without water…you have texas/arizona and california to call a few..

i love it here…..

gonna leave olympia on thursday and have not really decided what to do as we are sort of killing time waiting for closer to the end of the month so we can get to the island…find our winter home…and move in on or about November 1…...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0091.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	444.2 KB
ID:	224386  
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 10-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #109
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Some of the rains we've been having the last couple of weeks are not typical of NW weather. Usually it's just a constant drizzle, but the other day we had a torrential downpour. It actually reminded me of when I lived in Dallas and I'd look out the back and it would be raining cats and dogs, look out the front and it's dry was a bone.

If you like remote settings, consider taking 101 up the coast. Some of the beaches along the route are beautiful and unspoiled; First Beach, Second Beach, Ruby Beach, and Shi Shi Beach. These are part of the Olympic National Forest, and are the only wilderness beaches in the lower 48.

The Hoh Rainforest is also along the route. It's like something out of a fairy tale. Especially if you run into this guy.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #110
Islander

another day

in the rain

trailer sky light only drips when it rains or after it has rained…and is really hard to tell from the spilled dog water on the floor most of the time anyways:

looked out the window last evening about dark and there was a man in rain gear…walking his dog…in rain gear

and like an old timer on sauvie island told me…ya just wash your car anyway….

we found a laundry in olympia/lacy…i get lost in between the two cities…can't tell them apart…like it matters and washed clothes in the rain…ate indian food at the curry corner last night and the previous evening had vietnamesse fare…all within blocks of our terra port.

a bud pointed me to a county park in Carnation Washington and that is where we will head tomorrow…40 miles from Seattle…but a small country town with sites on a river…i believe…..

oh well…geronimo
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 10-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #111
Islander

something is wrong

it did not rain last night and so far today is the most beautiful sunny/partly cloudy day one could imagine.

I am really growing fond of Washington…bring on the whatever

left the washington land yacht harbor, after a three night stay, and headed the back way to Carnation , Wa and a King county park that is beyond beautiful..tolt-mcdonald county park. we went through yelm and wove our way through the cascade valley and the tiger summit and mere 1300 foot summit but nevertheless a daunting climb and down….

thanks to our great friend DHC-2 for the tip on this stop….

we are going for a stay at deception pass state park before we head to the island next week…gonna explore the seattle area while we are here as we are only 40 miles or so from there...
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 10-16-2014, 05:41 PM   #112
2013 Int. Sig 23D

2013 23' International
Des Moines , Washington
Welcome Kingfisher24 to our wonderful state...in many ways growing up and living here all my 58 years it has become somewhat of a joke you learn when young...we are told to tell everyone from anywhere else that it ALWAYS rains here, and is ALWAYS gray and gloomy why would anyone what to live here...I see you saw thru our secret....yes it is a bit wet at times but oh so green all the times....it is a magical place most all of the time and there is soooo much to do here and it is always very close to you wherever you might be. Have fun!