Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2016, 05:38 AM   #301
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
all air streamers are welcome

To you < Oregon MS...WE WOULD LOVE TO....Colorado Lady...come on up with Maggie...or when ever

we can devise some sort of guest parking for your rig,,,at the bottom of the hill...prior to the S Curve on our private mountain road.

..rig can be parked in a clearing about a half mile from house...and then we have a great little guest house....

the fare to get a trailer here is steep although, and one friend of ours parked his airstream at the park in Anacortes for a few days...

a rig like maggie's is charged like a auto...about 40 bucks both ways...

We really found paradise...a life of good and better luck has led us here.....

our property is a dead end that backs up to the south and west side of turtleback mountain,,
,a beautiful sacred place so the indians proclaimed....there are acres and acres of forested trails that wander the mountain and down by the sea on the west side,,,

We were lucky enough to have two airstreams...a 08 25fb in which we were homeless for three years and saw enough beauty to last a life time; we both have flashbacks of some stretch of road, or some sight along the road, of people and puppies that came across our path...

our second airstream came after we sold the 08 and bought a house in elgin texas so our Peabody could die...he had cancer...we got two puppies to try to replace...and they are a joy.

...we could not stand it...so we found a 28ft international...an 05 model and we slowly got our road shoes back on....in 2013....pined away and, as we had admired and spent much time in Oregon and Washington...that we would try to find a house there
the san juan islands did not exist...but then one day...by luck..or something...else.

we found orcas,...hauled but up here , spent four days...went home immediately...sold the house in five days and headed to Orcas...
rental property...here is a scarce as hen's teeth...and especially with three dogs...

but lady luck was on my shoulder still and we found a great house in Rosario...

just outside Moran state park...Cascade Bay is just beautiful...

It was scary trying to find a house...many, many houses , build in the 90's ...need much work... and they are expensive.....

but some how we lucked in to this place and luck after luck, as all in my entire life,

seems like especially on this deal...to do what we did...without a hitch...

well my little Peabody is shining down on us....I see him every morning...as Venus...the morning star...

And, I itch for the road sometimes...then i go outside...and know that there is not a more beautiful place...that in all the ramblings...i could never find a place like this,,well that we could afford anyway....

so we sneaked into Paradise....We don't even want to go to the mainland...there is no reason...everything one could want here....

especially if you have Amazon Prime...

although there are no stoplights...no Mcdonalds, Wendys, In and Outs..walmarts, home depots...ah heaven...lots of folks do not want this kind of peace and solitude....?????? but that is OK ...

come see us
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:01 PM   #302
Rivet Master

Good morning Kingfisher!

I'm so glad you are so happy in your own piece of Shangrila. Not everyone gets to find it. I admired your photos and it is obvious why you chose that location. Of course, as you traveled so extensively...you had ample opportunity to make proper comparisons.

I live just south east of Denver in a suburban bedroom community. I fell in love with the Rocky Mountains my first time west, (from Nashville, Tenn.), in 1970....married to USAF career man, Joe. We were stationed in Montana, Texas, Denver...and retired here. Joe has since passed away, and I remain in our home of 35 years.

I used to tent camp, and I needed to 'get off the ground', but, still want to get out and about. 3 yrs ago, bought a new T@B trailer, and traded up to a 2015 Airstream BAMBI 16' Sport. I travel solo and have been trying to get up the courage and stamina to make the trip west to PNW coastal region for some time now. This year, at 77, I'm just going for it.

Maggie and I have not met in person yet...just formed AS forum friendship. I look forward to our meeting and trip in August. From all I've learned of her through her postings, she is a very courageous and special lady.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:45 PM   #303
Rivet Master

Thank you for your kind invite to come up with Maggie. As lovely as that would be....I would not want to intrude on Maggie's visit. I know she looks forward to her visit with you.
Perhaps, in future, since I live in Colorado, and once I have spread my wings, and see that I can do the trip...I might wander out your way. If not by road with my BAMBI....maybe by air. Till then, I'll admire the area via photos, etc.

I have reserved 9/1-12 at Fort Stevens state park...for the Shirley Valentine gathering. While Maggie is visiting you....I'll have a chance to explore the coastal area a bit, do some photography, sightseeing, drive 101 some, maybe even do a little fishing, if I see the right place. I used to fish on the gulf coast when we lived in San Antonio, but, have not in years.
If I can't catch a seafood dinner, I'll enjoy local fare, I'm sure. I love a good steak, but, am partial to seafood...especially wild salmon. I caught many salmon in the western mountain streams of Montana. Of course, I was a lot younger then, but, I won't know if I can still do it if I don't try...right?

If you are a fisherman...you must be especially happy with a rod and reel in your Shangrila!
Old 01-18-2016, 03:44 PM   #304
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
september can be a good time to salmon fish on the OR coast. Hammond, just N of where you will be camped has an endless supply of charter captains. or you might want to want head S on 101 and charter out of a smaller port, depends on what you are looking for. as usual, check about the bite before you commit. the warm water blob has created quite a bit of havoc with the salmon fishing of late from Vancouver Island all the way down the CA coast.
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:36 PM   #305
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Just stumbled on this looking for Alaska threads. My apoligies if this is already discussed on the thread. I have some catch up reading to do!

We spent 3 nights this last fall. http://privatecamping.net/ on Orcas Island...originally found on compendium.

It is basically a private level lot in a residential area with full hookups and outstanding views N across the sound. Close to town and the SP....and everything.

Owned by some airstremers (this rig is the one on the website) and wonderful hosts, plus they offer a disc for AS's. NOTE Length limitations

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ml#post1808236

posts 1013 & 1015 & 1017

Simply Awesome. We'll be back

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:02 PM   #306
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
kingfisher24, my apologies. I posted then started at the beginning. I didn't mean to jump in on your thread.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:36 PM   #307
Rivet Master

Kingfisher, your thread just popped up on my email this morning, so thought I might give you an update.

I traded my BAMBI in on an Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Ext. this past April. Made the trip to Oregon, traveled with Maggie part of the way. (She is a nice lady). I explored some of the Washington and Oregon coast. Enjoyed every bit of it. Love the AI.

Two of my granddaughters now live on the west coast....one in Bellview, Washington and one in Lincoln City, Oregon. So, I certainly have ample reason to want to make the trip again and will do so solo. Having made the trip, I now have confidence in knowing I can. After leaving the group, I continued my travels on my own, and truly enjoyed my explorations of the west coast. It is everything I had wished for.

There is much more I want to see and do in that beautiful region. I plan a trip next year to visit my girls....and to explore more of the region. (God willing!)

I hope you continue to love your home in such a beautiful area. God bless. Evelyn.