Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2002, 08:00 AM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The Long Way

I am heading from Austin to Eureka Springs, AR over Labor Day weekend to play a little banjo. Then up to Branson for a couple of days. This is a trip that I have taken on and off for many years.

This year, I decided that I can't face I-35 and Dallas one more time, so I have laid out a non-interstate route. It will be around 100 more miles, but I have 3 full days to get there if I want and I think it will be worth the extra miles to enjoy the drive for a change. I do want to stop by the Airstream park at Tenkiller Lake in Oklahoma on the way up.

So it will be east on Texas 79 which is a road I like, then north through the eastern Oklahoma hills. Nice thing about an 8' x 22' trailer is that I don't have to dread the windy back roads.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 08:58 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
John,
I had a training class in Richardson about 3 years ago. My brother who lives in San Antonio told me to take highway 75 out of Dallas. 75 then junctions with highway 69 through Oklahoma to I44 near the Mo., Ok, border. From there you can head to Springfield MO then south to Branson on highway 65. I found this a good route when driving from St. Louis to Richardson.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 09:23 PM   #3
Contributing Member

Thumbs down thanks, jcanavera, but ...

The route you describe is the route I have been taking just about yearly for over 10 years and I am totally sick of it. True, it isn't a bad bunch of physical highway, and it is by a small amount the shortest way. But I have grown to hate I-35 from here to Dallas which I have driven many dozens of times. I loathe going through Dallas itself which I have done far too many times, and I am bored with 75/69 from there north although there is some nice scenery around the Lake Eufaula area.

I'm one of those persons who hates revisiting the same road over and over and there is sure nothing enticing about I-35 and Dallas. I-35, especially, has turned into something of a deathtrap since the Mexican border has been opened. Eighteen wheelers and construction.

I'm more than willing to spend the extra 3 1/2 hours the map program predicts to travel on roads I like and to explore some new territory. The contour maps tell me that I'll be going over some very scenic mountain areas.

I'm going to stop overnight at the Airstream park at Tenkiller Lake.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-19-2002, 07:27 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
OK John. I wasn't sure what section of I35 you were trying to avoid. I remember a trip years ago from Kentucky Lake to Branson. I decided to take a scenic route across the southern half of Missouri. The roads were so twisted that I couldn't do much over 40 MPH. To make matters worse it was a Sunday and every small town gas station along that two lane road was closed. At one point I was sure I was going to run out of gas. Times have changed and you find more stations open but once you get off the beaten path different rules apply.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 10:07 AM   #5
Contributing Member

Agreed, gotta watch that gas

I sure know about sweating out the gas gage in the back country. Ran out once towing my old Scamp. Fotunately, a guy came along with a 5-gallon jerry can full. I followed him to the next station and filled the truck and refilled his can. That's when I found out that my gas gage was just a little bit optomistic.

Fortunately, my day through the boondocks of eastern Oklahoma will be on a Wednesday and on a US numbered highway for all except the last 40 miles. Theoretically, I should have enough range for the entire day (240 miles). I'll start with a full tank at Daingerfiield, TX and I have already picked a refueling stop at Smithville, OK, about 125 miles into the day. That should be just a little ways under 3/4 on my gas gage. I usually get just at 100 miles on the top quarter of the gas gage.

As we used to say in the USAF, "Nothing is more usless than altitude above you, runway behind you, or gas that you have already burned.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-15-2002, 12:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
66 names...

Hi Guys...
I just been reading Your posts here, and I read those places are just off Route 66, would I be right on that, great reading Your routes, they are a hell-of-a lot more interesting than the roads we got over here...lol, the local councils over here wait until it's a holiday break, then decide to DIG-UP the tarmac, or the ferry co's, hold a strike, or the GAS stations all RUN out of gas...trains ain't the answer either, they have excuses like, : Wrong type of RAIN.../ SNOW.../ LEAVES, TOO hot, as the RAILS BEND...Oh! to live where You are, still only 8 weeks till WE hit FL:
our 21 night vacation...B-Good now...Chris.....
Old 09-15-2002, 07:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Chris..

In the next 8 weeks you need to sell off everything, get a work visa and move you and yours to the good ol' U.S. of A. More things here to see and do in 10 life times. And you can get great deals on Vintage Airstreams!

Come on, you know you REALLY want to.

Oh yeah, and learn to drive on the right side of the road.

Cheers;
-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 09:20 PM   #8
Contributing Member

Route 66

Chris ...

Some of the remaining parts of route 66 are real fun to drive. Pretty much deserted in most places, but the remnants of the route 66 glory days are still there. It's fun to drive along and imagine what it was like 50 years ago.

Lots of semi-ghost towns that were once thriving places, but were bypassed by interstate highways. Tumble-down cottage courts, the forerunners of motels. Ghosts of old signs.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-16-2002, 09:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Tempting....

Hi Guys...
You two sure know how to STIR up an old fella, lol...If only it was that easy 4me...If I was 30 yrs YOUNGER...well who knows...as 4 driving on the WRONG side of the road...I ain't getting into that one...but I'll tell ya this...It's a darn site EASIER driving YOUR way...I love IT...who ever designed a road that looks like a piece of spaghetti...I'll NEVER KNOW....!!!!...( Over here we have ALPHABET SPAGHETTI ....but I am NOT allowed to have any more as I keep on making NAUGHTY words out of it, instead of EATING it...lmao...) Well looking 4ward to our next visit, U all take care now...Chris.....
Old 09-16-2002, 10:02 AM   #10
Contributing Member

Straight roads

canny_banjo_man

Of course, you have some straight roads, too, the ones that the Romans built. Those guys didn''t even know the word "curve".

I drove plenty of spaghetti roads on my last trip up through eastern Oklahoma and SW Missouri. I even drove some pretty good ones coming home yesterday in the Texas Hill Country. These back roads are usually empty, but yesterday there was a bicycle rally going on I didn't know about. I spent a good half-hour trying to get around groups of bikes between blind curves.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-16-2002, 01:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Road to nowhere...

Hi there Pahaska...
Yep U right there my Friend, but seems they pass through big towns, the vehicles can't, we gotta go all the way around...I too know abt the cycle trials, we have them a lot around here, and U kn what gets me...when they ride 2 or 3 side by side...with their BUTTS stuck up in the air...I swear that one day my Dear WIFE is gonna wind down the car window, and SLAP one ...jus 4 the FUN of it...lmao...
Trouble is we only a small bit of land, and too many folk want to get THERE b4 they even set OFF, so what used 2b a cool drive out in the country 4 us, is now a NIGHTMARE, NOT like where U guys are, hundreds of miles b'tween stops, U got time 2 take it ALL in, guess that's one of the other reasons we love Florida so much, and Yr POLICE r quite cool too, lol, ....Well I did'nt kn that the lights were hangin around on wire, I thought they were CHRISTMAS tree lights or something!!!!, thought it strange...being APRIL...but thats what America is all abt, English but DIFFRERET...very different...well U stay cool how Guys,
I ain't pickin on ya...I'm jus English...Chris.....