Old 08-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #85
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
When I had the Interstate==22 feet long==I parked almost anywhere a large pickup truck would. jim

Old 08-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #86
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
We have enjoyed reading your narrative and are just about a week or so behind you. Decided to take a few days off from travel and hang out in western Mass. and had some time to log onto the forum. I am trying to determine what direction the storm is heading before we move any further east.

We left AZ in June and have been wandering around the northern US - headed to ME, & Nova Scotia. Plan to be in Canada the first week in Sept, tour NB, follow the fall colors south through New England states, spend a week in DC and then head back west.

The parking problem you are describing in ME surprised me. I am generally pretty creative when I park but I haven't seen any hostle messages in the hundreds of towns we have traveled through. The exception was the FLDS in Colorado City, AZ - I did not push the envelope there. They have open carry laws.

We use RVparkreviews.com when searching for a place to stay. Most of eastern Mass parks are rated very low. If it is not too much trouble, would you list some of the RV parks, state parks or provincial parks you have stayed in while traveling along the east coast and Canada?

We wander with little planning but it looks like we may be crossing paths with you when we are in NB or as you return to Maine. Hope to see you on the road.

Michael & Lena

Old 08-25-2011, 05:08 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
When I had the Interstate==22 feet long==I parked almost anywhere a large pickup truck would. jim
I agree with what you are saying Zig, it's just that I have never seen signs forbidding RV parking. I don't know how strong the enforcement is or what their definition of an RV is but it seemed to be working as I never saw any van conversions of any kind parked other than in the RV spaces. The really irritating thing was the number of cars parked in the few RV spaces.
Maybe someone living in Maine can fill in some details.

Cheers, Dan
Old 08-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #88
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Cheers, Dan[/QUOTE]

Hey Dan
Theres a new thread "Irene is Coming"
Old 08-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCrumpet View Post
Cheers, Dan
Hey Dan
Theres a new thread "Irene is Coming"
[/QUOTE]

No Lili, she's been here all along.

Cheers, Dan

Hey we are in Nova Scotia now and that means 4 hours closer to your time. It's 7:30 pm here now.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle & Bear View Post
We have enjoyed reading your narrative and are just about a week or so behind you. Decided to take a few days off from travel and hang out in western Mass. and had some time to log onto the forum. I am trying to determine what direction the storm is heading before we move any further east.

We left AZ in June and have been wandering around the northern US - headed to ME, & Nova Scotia. Plan to be in Canada the first week in Sept, tour NB, follow the fall colors south through New England states, spend a week in DC and then head back west.

The parking problem you are describing in ME surprised me. I am generally pretty creative when I park but I haven't seen any hostle messages in the hundreds of towns we have traveled through. The exception was the FLDS in Colorado City, AZ - I did not push the envelope there. They have open carry laws.

We use RVparkreviews.com when searching for a place to stay. Most of eastern Mass parks are rated very low. If it is not too much trouble, would you list some of the RV parks, state parks or provincial parks you have stayed in while traveling along the east coast and Canada?

We wander with little planning but it looks like we may be crossing paths with you when we are in NB or as you return to Maine. Hope to see you on the road.

Michael & Lena
Hi Mike and Lena, glad you are enjoying our trip posts. Maybe our paths will cross soon. That would be great.

I'll try to answer you question but I'm not sure what you look for in a park. We normally roll in at dinner time or later and head out in the late morning. The only thing we use is power and wifi. We are pretty conservative with water and only fill the tanks every several days, same with dumping. I have a portable water softener I use when I do fill the tank and never use the city hook-up. I also never connect the sewer except to dump. I try to dump on the highway to mix things up a bit. We always shower and use the facilities in the coach.
That being said I'll describe the parks we stayed in:
Camp Niantic near New London, CT. This may be south of your location but just in case. The park is very old with many old RVs looking permanent. It was scenic in the trees and very quiet and reasonably priced. I used the dump site but did not take on water. There was an area with some salvage RVs and other stuff.
Next was Meadowlark in Middletown,RI. This is about a mile from Newport and very reasonable for the area. It is run by a very nice older lady. We were in a back area, few RVs, pleasant and quiet. The park has no showers or rest rooms and the only water is at the entrance along with the dump station.
We stayed at Ferndale Acres in Lee,NH. It is a very nice park about a mile down a dirt road and about three miles out of Lee which is barely a wide spot in the road. Nice trees, secluded and very quiet. Our only reason for staying here is we visited a friend who lived close by.
Next was Wild Duck in Scarborough,ME. This is a very nice adult only park. My only observation was the spaces were very close together. We called to reserve this space early in the morning and the space for the next night because it was the weekend and everywhere we went was very crowded. This is the only time we have reserved ahead.
Saturday was Hadley Point near Bar Harbor. This place was full yet quiet at night. We had a space in a ring of trees around an open grass field. There were probably a dozen RVs dry camping in the field waiting for a space to open. The biggest problem was we were on a slope and had to put blocks under the front hydraulic jacks in order the raise the front end high enough to be level.
Sunday we debated about staying another night but we called Seawall in the National Park and they said they had a space but could only hold it for one hour. We checked out and headed across the park and got a very nice space for two nights for $10 per night with the Golden Age Pass. No power and no cell service. It was not a problem as we spent the days touring the park and the nights in Bar Harbor eating lobster. The park campgrounds were full Sunday and Monday nights. I'm not sure about the private parks in the area.
Tuesday we stayed at Deer Island in Canada.

I hope this is of some help to you. I wish i could tell you more but like I said we really don't use a lot of park facilities. I can post pics of each campsite if you like, just let me know. I'll describe the Canadian camps in the next posts.

Cheers, Dan
Old 08-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
We left off landing at Deer Island. Dinner was at one of the three restaurants on the island then back to the RV park which was right next to the ferry landing. There were only three campers in the park and we didn't pay for hook-ups so the girl told us to park anywhere on the grass. Right in front of a navigation light on the edge of the park is the largest tidal whirlpool in the world so that is where we parked. The whirlpool took place two hours before high tide so we set the alarm for 5:45 am. The whirlpool varies with the height of the tide and it was still pretty dark but we did get some pics. Back to bed for a nap and then off to the next ferry which was barely larger than the last one.

A few pics.
The bridge from Lubec to Campobello Island, New Brunswick.
Downtown Lubec.
Hagar's mug shot, Campobello Island in the background.
Looking back at Lubec.
The ferry.
The ferry landing.
Fish pens.
Deer Island.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deer Island Aug2011 009.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	138674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Deer Island Aug2011 014.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	138675  

Name:	Deer Island Aug2011 028.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	138676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Deer Island Aug2011 048.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	138677  

Name:	Deer Island Aug2011 073.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	138678   Click image for larger version

Name:	Deer Island Aug2011 080.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	138679  

Name:	Deer Island Aug2011 086.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	138680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Deer Island Aug2011 092.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	138681  

Old 08-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Deer Island is a quiet little island in the middle of some beautiful scenery and many little fishing villages. They claim the have the largest fish pens in the world. I highly recommend it to get away for a few days.

More pics

Sunset from our campsite.
The tidal whirlpool at 6:00 am.
The first light of day in the USA.
Our Campsite.
The official description of the whirlpool.
The ferry landing at low tide, the dark area at the cars is high tide.
The larger free ferry.
They park them pretty close.
Seeing water coming aboard is not a good sign.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Deer Island Aug2011 101.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	138691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cape Enrage Aug2011 005.jpg
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	138692  

Name:	Cape Enrage Aug2011 024.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	138693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cape Enrage Aug2011 043.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	138694  

Name:	Cape Enrage Aug2011 041.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	138695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cape Enrage Aug2011 044.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	318.1 KB
ID:	138696  

Name:	Cape Enrage Aug2011 058.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	138697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cape Enrage Aug2011 061.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	138698  

Name:	Cape Enrage Aug2011 068.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	138699  
Old 08-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
The ferry from Deer Island took us to Back Bay and we headed to Saint John. The Saint John river is one of several in the area that do some interesting things with the tidal changes. The tides are so extreme that they cause reverse falls and rapids as the sea backwashes into the river. The tides can reach 52', the highest in the world. After watching the rapids for awhile we drove through town and continued up the coast. We went by one of several covered bridges and stopped for a few pics. We reached Alma at low tide and stopped to shop for dinner. Of coarse we found a lobster shop.

Some pics.

The Saint John River
Uptown Saint John
Low tide at the deep water harbor
The Hagarstream coming through a covered bridge
Low tide at Alma
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cape Enrage Aug2011 105.jpg
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	138704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cape Enrage Aug2011 098.jpg
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	138705  

Name:	Cape Enrage Aug2011 104.jpg
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	138706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cape Enrage Aug2011 128.jpg
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	138707  

Name:	Cape Enrage Aug2011 130.jpg
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	138708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cape Enrage Aug2011 139.jpg
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	138709  

Name:	Cape Enrage Aug2011 147.jpg
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	138710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cape Enrage Aug2011 148.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	138711  

Old 08-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Leaving Alma we headed for Cape Enrage. Fromers claims this to be the best viewpoint in Canada. Not the best road but we bounced along until we found a nice beach with a pull out. While taking a break a gentleman walked up and ask if we were heading to Cape Enrage. He cautioned us that the road was pretty wicked and he wasn't sure the a moho could make it. I thanked him, waited a few minutes and headed out. The road was a bit steep but not a problem in the least. After paying the $9 fee we were led to a great parking spot and charged up the stairs to the lighthouse. It is indeed a great view, about 260 degrees of the Canadian coastline. It was very windy and after Irene had her fill of pics Hagar and I headed back down the steps to get out of the wind. Back on the road we headed for the Ponderosa Pines Campground at Hopewell Cape, New Brunswick. You guessed it boiled lobster for dinner.

More pics.

Lighthouse at Cape Enrage
The Hagarstream below the lighthouse
Looking SW to New Brunswick
Looking East to Nova Scotia
Our campsite at Ponderosa Pines
Dinner at the Hagarstream

Cheers, Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cape Enrage Aug2011 187.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	138715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cape Enrage Aug2011 182.jpg
Size:	381.6 KB
ID:	138716  

Name:	Cape Enrage Aug2011 175.jpg
Size:	278.3 KB
ID:	138717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cape Enrage Aug2011 174.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	138718  

Name:	Cape Enrage Aug2011 192.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	138719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cape Enrage Aug2011 198.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	442.9 KB
ID:	138720  

Old 08-25-2011, 10:51 PM   #95
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Wow! Thanks for posting all those pics..

This is just an awesome trip. Now Dan.. have you edited out all the pictures where you are actually working on the stream? You know.. fixing the brakes.. playing with the rats nest of wiring.. the occasional fresh water line blunder? OR.. has everything just been peachy?

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:52 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
Wow! Thanks for posting all those pics..

This is just an awesome trip. Now Dan.. have you edited out all the pictures where you are actually working on the stream? You know.. fixing the brakes.. playing with the rats nest of wiring.. the occasional fresh water line blunder? OR.. has everything just been peachy?

Vinnie
Hi, yea Dan, I told about all of my things falling apart and buying six new tires. Is your trip really that smooth sailing?

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:13 AM   #97
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
[/QUOTE]
Loved the Sunsets and Swirly Waters
Hagar looks like Half-Humanoid-
Doggy Top and Manly Bottom..what a hoot !
Its flipping frustrating to see what were missing..
I'm running out of time I'm 60ish..
Donald Trump doesn't have to scrimp and save
whats he got that I haven't..apart from money
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2011, 07:05 AM   #98
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, yea Dan, I told about all of my things falling apart and buying six new tires. Is your trip really that smooth sailing?
Come on guys, this is an old oil burner, it just keeps rattling along. Actually everything is running well. I changed the A/C compressor back in Rapid City,SD and the pyrometer and trans temp gauge and that's about it. I did lube and oil service at my cousin's place in Sandy Hook, CT and added new Maxxfan and awning rail. The front center marker lights quit a few weeks ago but two of them came back on about a week later. I'm not going to play with them until I get home. The left inner dual has a slow leak and I add air about once a week. Yesterday the tire pressure monitor starting acting up so I will have to see how it does today. Other then adding oil occasionally it's been a pretty uneventful trip. My biggest complaint is the damn stove rattles and is about to drive me nuts.

As for picture editing, Irene has been averaging well over 100 pics a day. We had to stop in Rhode Island and buy an 8GB card because she ran out of space on the other cards.

Cheers, Dan