Old 08-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ivins , Utah
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
We were on our way to meet our folks at Canyonlands Nat Park in Utah and plunged 'down' the infamous Shafer Trail...! It's a narrow dirt track, with many switchbacks and breath taking scenery...!
Yes, Shafer Trail is pretty amazing. I drove up it in the F250 last year (without Airstream!!)

On the flat part, portions were so rough that a Suburban driver commented to me he was bottoming out... not a happy camper.

On the final climb to the top, on a couple of the switchbacks I needed to back-n-fill just to get the truck around them.

One of the outdoor shops in Moab had a picture of a class C spanning a gully, rear wheels in the air. The caption read "don't trust your GPS in this area". In fact, from downtown Moab, my GPS suggested Shafer Trail as a route up to Dead Horse Point. Big mistake if you didn't have a high clearance 4x4...

steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2004 30' Classic
Beaumont , Texas
Cloudcroft Hill, US 82 west out of Cloudcroft NM. The grade is only 6-7% but it is 16 miles to the bottom. It will smoke your brakes without an exhaust retarder. Going up not so much a problem.

Olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #17
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Originally Posted by Olie
Cloudcroft Hill, US 82 west out of Cloudcroft NM. The grade is only 6-7% but it is 16 miles to the bottom. It will smoke your brakes without an exhaust retarder. Going up not so much a problem.
It was on this hill that I decided to upgrade to slotted discs on my Tundra. This is one of the most interesting drives around. You go from pine trees and snow to the white sands in a very short period.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Ain't no mountain to high to clime with my V10 Ford and 29 ft Squarestream trailer.Do Bulhead city to Flagstaff about once a year or so easy and do the Grapevine in Ca avery few months.BUT when I am climbing any long grade I am as careful as a naked man climbin a barbed wire fence.
To me the hardest is the pull is from home to Payson then to the top of the Mogollon rim AZ.Just 112 miles of up and down with more ups than downs. MPG is about 6 or 7. Hope you like dust because when I get to the top of the grade that's all your going to see.
Risk everything,fear nothing,and have no regrets.

Jimmini :
AKA : TUMBLEWEED. Just an old buzzard with a itch to yonder.
Man has only those rights he can defend
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #19
2006 19' International CCD
Denville , New Jersey
Gezz I only do rt80 in Pa, nothing compared to this. I did do Blue Ridge in Pring, and side roads were zippy. I honestly do not know how to drive those grades and would have to learn how to safely travel them before going. I am sure I could get advise here. Even the road to Estes Park seems hard for a trailer to be on. I am not use to those grades being from NJ, but I can put in city streets.

2006 Bambi CCD ("EireStream!!")
2010 Funfinder
2005 T@B
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote