Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
coming back from Grand Isle you can the the scenic as in swampy hwy 90 route...this will keep you off of I-10 travel for a while.....Lake Fausse is a nice very quite state park. We stayed there for 2 nights and it was really quite and in nature. I don't know if you have gone to many lousiana state parks but several that we have gone looking for are really off the beaten path. Like a good 45 min ride off the main hwy. If you don't care about those things then you will be fine. Visiting Avery Island is a really cool thing to do if you have the time and don't mind the drive. Make sure you stop off in Lafayette, on your way west....really nice town and has great food. The camping in the state parks of louisiana are usually on the pretty cheap side. I hope this helps you out a bit. I will be reading and following your travels.
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #22
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
In Utah, Goblin Valley SP has a nice campground and interesting rock formations—sort of like the hoodoos at Bryce, but not. It's between Green R. and Hanksville and on the way from Capital Reef NP.

Mojave National Preserve is interesting and has 2 campgrounds. There are areas with Joshua trees there too and far less traffic than elsewhere. If you follow 66 in southern Cal, you'll see some interesting things on that lonely stretch of road.

When will you be at Arches?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #23
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
When will you be at Arches?
Gene
May(ish) if I make it up there. Still waiting to see if anything comes of the forums photo rally that Zeph has been working on. I take it you looked at the map? I think its going to be a pretty cool travel planning tool, esp if people go ahead and add spots on it.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:50 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
General...I forgot to add the town of Morgan City....if you like different types of things to do you can tour an old oil rig and see how things work....Morgan City is a small older town that has a nice park owned by the town called Lake End....I am trying to think of the little restaurant that truly has some of the best home cooked meals ever. I will ask a friend what the name is and you will not regret going eat there. Very good on the pocket book as well. I would really recommend you at least stoping in Morgan City it would be right on your way west if you take Hwy 90 route.
TAC# KY-3
Old 02-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
I just found the restaurant:

Rita Mae's Kitchen
Plate lunches, short order, gumbo
711 Federal Ave., Morgan City, LA
Phone: (985) 384-3550
Hours: Open 7 days, 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.
TAC# KY-3
Old 02-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #26
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouth012006 View Post
General...I forgot to add the town of Morgan City.........
Looks like a neat place. Do you have more info on the oil rig or park? I found the park on google, but no info on if they allow overnights. I added the restaurant to my map along with your comments. Don't forget you should be able to add points of interest to it if you like. Don't worry about making a mistake, if something gets goofed up we will figure out a fix.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
http://www.lakeendpark.net/

International Petroleum Museum & Exposition
The only place in the world where the general public can walk aboard an authentic offshore drilling rig. The renowned and historic drilling rig "Mr. Charlie" is the centerpiece of this unique facility as well as a training facility for the offshore oil industry. Visitors learn about the oil industry, past and present, the functions of the oil rig and tales about the industry's beginnings. Tour takes approximately 1 hour.
Riverfront, 111 First St., P.O. Box 1988, Morgan City, LA 70381
Phone: (985) 384-3744
Hours: Mon.-Sat. Guided tours begin at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Admission $5 Adults, $4 Sr. Citizens, $3.50 Children 12 & under, free 5 & under.
rigmuseum@rigmuseum.comhttp://www.rigmuseum.com

http://www.cajuncoast.com/

I found the site for the park for you....and this is the info for the rig/tours....also the last site is cajuncoast....and that is for the parish of St Mary and gives some other things there. that is where i pasted the rig info for you. I will keep brainstorming about some different things for you to do down there. I will try to figure out your map....i am not too computer updated.... I hope this stuff is helping you out to find some of the type of things you are looking for.
TAC# KY-3
Old 02-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #28
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouth012006 View Post
I hope this stuff is helping you out to find some of the type of things you are looking for.
Very much so, I doubt I would have found this stuff on my own.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:54 PM   #29
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
NO Meet up?

Who wants to meet up in the NO area in the begging of March? Hit me up, I would love to meet more forum members.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:00 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
Who wants to meet up in the NO area in the begging of March? Hit me up, I would love to meet more forum members.
We will be in South Carolina by then, but have a cafe au lait for me.

We spent several nights at Grand Isle a couple of years ago. Very nice campground, beautiful drive down there and lots of places along the side of the road selling shrimp for $3-$4 a pound. Their shower houses are not heated, however, and open air, so if it is cold......

If you want a taste of Cajun Country, Abbeville (just south of Lafayette) and Betty's RV Park would be easy to visit on your way back up.

Maggie
Old 02-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #31
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Death Valley National Park

Is late April to early May too late to reasonably visit Death Valley and camp there? As of now, the plan is to fly mom into LV then work over to Yosemite so Death Valley is a natural.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #32
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Monthly temps at Death Valley are for April 90 and 62; May 99 and 71. You can camp out of the Valley where it should be cooler. There's a private CG at Panamint Springs about half way down on the west side at 2,000'. I haven't been there, but have driven by a few times. Panamint Springs Resort

There are other campgrounds—Google "death valley campgrounds". You'll need electricity down in the Valley to run the AC and if it's hotter than average, write a will first. We've been there in the spring and fall and the heat can be like a furnace some days—that's why one place is called Furnace Creek. There's a lot of wonderful sites to see and it takes several days at least. The heat can wear you out fast.

Gene
Old 03-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Hey General!
Does dry dock still have the yacht held hostage? You can bet there are more than a few of us looking forward to our annual AWOL fix...

Still hoping ya can make it thru Mississippi...I believe there is a 'welcome to our state' basket waiting around here...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #34
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Dry dock indeed! But it is winding down. I still have to do the window replacements, finish the underbelly, add the last three stabilizers, and some small stuff. Oh yeah, I am thinking about ordering a solar system but other than that Im ready to hit the road. Really. Swear.

Right now the plan is still to go through the Trace. But I absolutely Have to be in Las Vegas at the end of April to take mom on her spring trip. Stay tuned. I also have a blog you can follow now.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #35
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
OK, not the General now but....

Still hitting the road soon.

Does anyone have a feel for the snow pack around Yosemite and Kings Canyon/Sequoia? How about the mountains in southern AZ?

Old 03-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
Still hitting the road soon.

Does anyone have a feel for the snow pack around Yosemite and Kings Canyon/Sequoia? How about the mountains in southern AZ?
Ah, you've just touched on a very sore point on my gizzard.

Lynn
Old 03-15-2010, 04:32 AM   #37
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Just drove the southerly, coastal route from New Orleans back to Beaumont. Quiet, slow and well off the beaten path once past Abbeville. Road was somewhat narrow, but, on a Sunday, little to no traffic. A long, very good radio show of zydeco the whole way (public radio).

Outbound to N.O stopped at two places for food that will find plenty of recommendations (the first near Lafayette, the second near New Orleans):

Poche Market & Restaurant
3015 Main Highway
Breaux Bridge, LA 70517-6347
(337) 332-2108

Poche's Market and Restaurant Home Page

(The drive is through a residential area, which seems wrong, yet isn't. A big unpaved parking lot in which to turn-around with trailer. Signs to fish camp are same as to store which also has indoor seating for meals. Huge fresh and frozen selection).

Jacob's World Famous Andouille
505 W Airline Hwy
La Place, LA 70068-3807
(985) 652-9080

Jacob's World Famous Andouille & Sausage

Parking with trailer here will be a matter of walking a ways, but the andouille is worth every bit of trouble. I'd call and ask for info on where to park with trailer.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #38
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Beware of Houston! When we tried to take I-10 west we were confronted by the conversion of the interstate west of downtown into a toll road for some miles west and it was not permitted to tow on it.

The signs came up suddenly without much warning, were unclear and we had to make a quick turn off this highway into the unknown. Since this had happened fairly recently last fall, there was nothing on the maps about it. We spent an extra hour trying to find our way around this problem. I may have told you about it when we saw you at Padre Is., but reminding you in case you forgot it.

Gene
Old 03-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #39
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Might be taking a northern route

It looks like I may need to attend to some business in southern Illinois next month, so I may get out west later than I wanted and take a more northern route west. Have to wait and see.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:26 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Keep us posted as to where you are as you make your way west, Rodney... And travel safe...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote