Old 09-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Galveston, TX

We returned from our Galveston trip late yesterday. We had a really great time.

On Saturday me and Mrs. S spent the morning packing and getting the AS ready for the trip. Around 1:00 PM me and Lola (our Boston Terrior) hit the road. Mrs. S and Zeus stayed behind and waited for my mother which had to work and didnt want to drive down alone. We invited her along cause she loves Galveston as well.
Here is a shot of my co-pilot navigating from the front seat.......
(Yes she is wearing shaded goggles, she loves to hang her head out the window when we slow down and go through towns)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0839.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	140084

We made good time traveling and even stopped and got a chance to get on the CAT scales and see how we looked weight wise. I had planned to get a couple diffrent weights but the lady helping me wasnt to thrilled and seemed to think I was taking up to much time so we just done it once.

Ive never been on a ferry with an RV, I was alittle nervous since is is such a tight fit, but with Lola cheering me on we made it and fit nicley. Got a lot of strange looks.

Name:	IMG_0840.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	140085

At about 5:45 or so we arrived at the Dellanera RV Park. Its in a great location (or I think it is) Its right off Seawall DR but its not right in the middle of all the action, its far enough down that its outside the main fuss but close enough you can be there in 2-3 minutes.

Name:	IMG_0852.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	140086

The staff was really friendly and checking in only took a few minutes.
There are several sites that are ocean view but they are mainly for rigs that are 25 ft or shorter. But there are a few ocean view that can handle big rigs. The sites are full hook ups and are laid out very nicely. When we first arrived we were hidden in a sea of Class A Rvers. Man there were some huge ones, but still they couldn't resist looking and coming over to ask about the AS.

Name:	100_2112.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	140087

We setup on a pull through site and when I stopped on the cement pad I noticed that the trailer was sitting very well. I checked the levels and wow the trailer was perfectly level. I was shocked. Thats never happened before.

After setting up we quickly went to check out the beach front which is only steps away from the camp site and I was really in for a shock when I seen how clean the beach was. Now granted it wasnt white sand beach with blue clear water, but it was amazingly clean. No trash or funny smells. I was actually really nice being Galveston.

Name:	100_2120.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	140088

Name:	100_2122.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	140089

Name:	P9100650.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	140090

Galveston has a lot to offer including the water park which was only 3 miles away and Mrs. S and Mom enjoyed that day. I chose to stay at the Rv Park and enjoy the Houston Texans season opener win against the Colts from the comfort of the AS.
There is some great food to eat and of course the shopping for the women.
I did stumble across a very intresting find which is called Bishops Palace, I strongly recommend you take the tour of this house while in Galveston. Its a 20,000 sq ft home that was built in the mid 1800 and has survived two hurricanes! It was simply amazing! Its 10 dollars for the tour and there are no photos allowed to be taken inside the home. It has some wonderful history behind it.

Name:	P9110728.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	476.0 KB
ID:	140092

Well we had a great time and will for sure return to Dellanera RV Park and we think its great for anyone looking for a Galveston stay. Nothing like staying by the beach in the cool breeze and watching your AS shine in the sun.

Name:	IMG_0854.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	140091

It was another successful and evenful AS outing and we cant wait for the next one.

To the open roads.........

Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #16

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I love trips like that! Thanks for sharing it with us...now that the heat is breaking, it's camping season...

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:57 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I have really enjoyed reading all about your Excella travels. It is what having an Airstream is all about. Our son and his wife live in Ft. Worth. I am planning on going there in November to do some work on their home and do some camping with them and their two dogs. Sounds like November is just about perfect camping weather in Texas.

Dan
Old 09-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #18
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Another great camping trip! I love to read about your travels and see some really cool pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Love this thread!

I love when I can post on this thread, means Im using and enjoying all my work I put into our AS!

We are all packed up ready to head out at 0600hrs. Everythings ready to go, trailer and TV are all washed up, and all systems checked.

Headed back to Canton, TX to do some shopping for Xmas.

I added a final touch to the AS today!

Name:	IMG_0946.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	144450

Gotta let folks know we are a supporting member of this geat forum!

Stay tuned......Travels soon to follow!
Old 11-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Mobile , Alabama
Loved reading about your travels.
WBCCI #10360
Member Southeastern Camping Unit
Bettye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:00 PM   #21
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith84 View Post
I love when I can post on this thread, means Im using and enjoying all my work I put into our AS!

We are all packed up ready to head out at 0600hrs. Everythings ready to go, trailer and TV are all washed up, and all systems checked.

Headed back to Canton, TX to do some shopping for Xmas.

I added a final touch to the AS today!

Attachment 144450

Gotta let folks know we are a supporting member of this geat forum!

Stay tuned......Travels soon to follow!
I'm a fan of stickers in the back window! Looks great! Enjoy the weekend!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:36 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Canton

Well we made it to Canton yesterday!
Wow at the people! Where did they all come from?
Its was only Thursday and theres not a place to park or a place for an RV.
Luckly we have had reservations since June, but unluckly the RV park got our reservations messed up. We had a group of 7 RVs and now we are all spread out.
Its all good! Its all in what you make of the hand your delt.

We are not the only Airstream in the park, there is one more about 6 sites down from us. Newer looking 25ish ' Classic. I didnt get a chance to meet the owners but hopefully Ill spot them today.

Not much shopping got done yesterday, it was a lot cooler here than I planned for but most of all the WIND! It was just a cutting cold wind.

Who ordered all this cold weather??!!

I will say Im really enjoying staying in my camper during this cooler weather. Sure is warm and toasty in here this morning.

Hopefully it wont be so windy today, Mrs. S is telling me our main misson for today is to find her a Flamingo to display with the Airstream.......
Please tell me its ok for me to display Flamingos on and around something Ive worked so hard on.......?
Anyone??
Old 11-06-2011, 07:04 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
The search for Flamingo....

Its 0645 hrs, my feet hurt my knees are swollen and I just took Advil with my coffee. Mrs. S can walk for miles.... The search went on and on for the pink flamingo......But it was a success (finally).

Name:	IMG_0951.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	144645
Here they are, the twin Flamingos. Mrs. S had to have them when she saw them head bobbing in the wind. She wanted the big ones which stand nearly 6 foot tall but settled for these that are only about 1.5 foot tall.

Spotted this litte to:

Name:	IMG_0950.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	390.7 KB
ID:	144646
Mrs. S had a fit for this but I just wouldnt go for it. Cant see big ole Zeus riding around in that little thing..

Well Ive been hunting my next project to work on. Ive been leaning hard towards finding a Spartan.

Name:	IMG_0949.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	359.7 KB
ID:	144647
I stumbled across this little feller while walking around. I talked with the owner and he told me what brand it was but for the life of me I cant remember what he said. Its a 1947 ....something I wanna say it started with a V, but I cant remeber. Anybody wanna throw a name out there and see if I can remeber??

The outside is in GREAT shape as far as the skins. Its about 16 foot long. The inside is pretty much trashed. But I tried and tried to get the guy to come off it. He thought about it but just couldnt commit.
I would have loved to got it and made it my next project and do a custom interior.
Would have been a great weekender trailer.

Well couple more hours of shopping and then we will have to pack up and head out....But luckily when we leave here we will be gearing up for the Texas Piney Woods Rally.........
Really looking forward to that!
Been a great weekend here but Im shopped out and looking forward to visiting and relaxing at the lake.

Ok Ive got to go Mrs. S it fussing for me to help take the dogs out...

See Yawl Later
Old 11-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Made it

Well we made it home from Canton, our wallets are alittle more lite than when we started but we had a heck of a good time.
On Saturday there was estimated to have been 150,000 people shopping in Canton.
I didnt get much done on that day but Mrs. S fought the crowds and did good.

We planned to head out early in the a.m. this morning but we decided to hit it one last time......Boy am I glad we did. There was hardly anyone shopping and the deals were to be made.

Im a collector of vintage things: castiron, vintage coolers, really anything old that intrest me.
Well Mrs. S has been on me for us to get us a set of bicycles to use while we are staying in parks an such.
I didnt have much intrest in them until I stumbled across this bad boy:

Name:	IMG_0952.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	577.6 KB
ID:	144739

This guy restores 5 vintage bikes a year and he told me this one is a 1948 Monarch. I HAD to have it. I got it!
Had to put my poker face on to get a deal on it but after a good stand off I got it for a price I was willing to give for it. The seller wasnt happy with the deal but he let it go.

Cant wait to cruise Mill Creek park this week at the Texas Piney Woods Rally!
I got so many compliments on the way out of the shopping center while I was riding it back to the Airstrem.
Between that and the fact I FINALLY found a cast iron Bundt Pan to add to my collection Im super happy with the outcome of our shopping adventure.
We had a great time! We got two days to restock and wash clothes and then were heading out again. But this time its to relax and have a good time with fellow Airstreamers.
Now we got to get Mrs. S a cool crusier like mine for the rally.
Wonder what shes got in mind....
To be continued...
Old 11-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #25

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Wow! awesome bike...lets see...isn't there a thread here somewhere about adding a bumper mounted bike rack?

Lookin forward to checkin it out this coming weekend!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
That is a pretty slick bike. I like it.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:35 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Next Adventure

Well Ive been charting out our next big adventrue with "Tha Stream" and I looks like we are going to get a second chance at visiting New Mexico. If you remember we had planned on making a grand trip back in September but we had to scrap it at the last minute.

So as of now our plans are as follow:

Dec 25th- depart from home base and drive to Tyler, Texas to pick up Sis & Brother-in-Law.

Dec 26th- depart Tyler, Tx and spend the night in Clayton, New Mexico at a KOA.

Dec 27th - Depart Clayton and arrive in Red River, New Mexico for a 5 night stay. We will be skiing/snowboarding with our family. We will also bring in the new year here.

Jan 1st 2012 - Depart Red River, NM and head to Albuquerque Airport and drop off Sis & Brother in law. Continue down to White Sands Monument for a 2 night stay in this area. (Havnet located a campsite yet, suggestions welcomed)

Jan 3rd - Depart WSM and head out for Carlsbad Caverns for a two night stay. (Mixed feelings on where to stay here, lots of bad reviews for this area)

Jan 5th- Depart Carlsbad Caverns and head to Big Bend National Park for a 5 night stay at the Rio Grande Village Campground. If we can make it that long in boondock mode, will be a first for us.

Jan 10th- Begin our long journey back east to the piney woods of Texas.
Should arrive home around the 11th or 12th.

So this is our planned trip, roughly charted at 2,650 mile round trip. Hope The Stream can handle this long of a trip. He should be fine, If he fails along the way the only person to blame is myself, Im the one that done all the work on him to prep him for such a trip.....

Any suggestions, stop offs, must see, or so ons, feel free to jump in and give us a shout.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Sounds like a great trip. Have fun. I'm sure he'll hold up fine. Can't wait for us to have the chance to have a big trip like that.