Old 04-26-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
The Economist: 4/12/08 "Mobile Telecoms"

For those of you who don't subscribe, or pick up the occasional copy, I'd like to recommend the above issue for its "Special Report" on mobile telecommunication. The Economist is a British publication, information-dense as common parlance has it nowadays, and does a very good job of keeping one on ones toes, agree or disagree with their editorial bias. Unlike the American shadows-of-their-former-selves, The Economist covers the globe with a large network of correspondents. One does, I have learned, have to work to get it all read in the week before the next issue arrives.

I refer specifically to the Special Report on mobility, 4-10-08:

Mobile telecommunications | Articles By Subject |

a collection of [7] articles about how such is changing our society.

No, this is not about RV'ers, it is of a more abstract, refined perspective.

But this is a pretty brainy group around here, and even those of us who don't quite qualify will nonetheless find food for thought in these articles.

It could be one could tease some ideas about how this subject, economical RV's and the future economy may or might be married.

Have at it, nomads. I look forward to your thoughts.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
Aluminitus Carrier
1968 26' Overlander
south lake tahoe , California
Send a message via Skype™ to lovingtahoe
Thanks! Perfect Sat morning reading. This topic is close to my heart

Come visit my Airstream Web-Log at:

WBCCI - #4066 / Sierra Nevada Unit 157
TAC - # CA-9
South Lake Tahoe, California
lovingtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Thanks for the link.

Something interesting has happened at At one time you could not read or print out most articles. I was able to print all 7 items in this Special Report more quickly and for less cost than going out to get The Economist.

Thanks for the link.

SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1976 Argosy 24
I meant to say " read or print out most articles WITHOUT A SUBCRIPTION".
Old 04-26-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member
1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
A nomad at last!

I sit here nestled inside my Airstream, in a field and completely off the grid, a nomads at last.

Thanks for a thought provoking read Rednax!

As a full timer for the last 8 years, I've watched, experienced and taken advantage of the changes that mobile communications has afforded me, it has changed my lifestyle, and the way I do business.

Yes, even an artist has to do business!

The advent of useable wireless internet access allows me to be a wandering nomad.
I no longer have to visit a clients home to see the wall or room for which I will paint a commissioned work of art. Over the wireless internet, foto's and ideas pass back and forth between me and my clients freely. Orders for my line of Airstream art and tee shirts flit back and forth. Funds are electronically transferred from my wireless hand held Credit Card terminal, all my bills and statements are electronic and I'm notified when a charge or credit hits my bank or credit card.

I keep in touch with my clients, friends and family all wirelessly.

All my artist material, from large 7' x 9' canvases to eye hooks are ordered on-line, in fact all the items I need to keep my mobile life running are ordered on-line.

When I have Tow-vehicle problems, I stop, get on-line, call up exploded views of the part assemblies, shop for replacement parts and or a local Ford Truck repair center as well as local trailer parks. Then I hit my cell phone and make inquires, appointments, and reservations.

With computer based GPS in both the trailer and TV, I can pinpoint supermarkets, gas stations, restaurant, Bass Pro Shops, banks, strip clubs, the local post office or virtually any resource I might need.

Google Earth gives me a heads-up on what to expect when I get to where I'm actually going.

I'm amused by the contrasts of my lifestyle. On one hand, I'm sitting all alone in a field, solar panels generating electricity, catalytic heater keeping me toasty, on the stove the Pyrex percolator percolates fresh coffee while I create artwork using basic materials like canvas, charcoal, oil and ground minerals. All the while thru unseen forces, at my finger tip ( notice I said finger tip, I'm a hunt and pecker) lie the electronic equivalent to the resources of the ancient library of Alexendria, the places, images, people, and the collective information of the world.

Oh, and the Air Forums of course!

The crux of technology is to use IT and not be used by IT, something I think the younger generation is unwittingly falling pray to.

My measure of success for any man or woman is measured by the ability to do whatever one wants to do, be it lying on the couch 24/7 eating TV dinners, sailing around the world, or becoming the riches person in the universe.

Me, I just want to earn my way in this world creating art, meeting good interesting people, experiencing the world around me and just doing whatever I choose to do.

The wireless world has assisted me in this, and for this I'm very thankful.

Communicating from a field in the great state of Texas.

Michael Joseph Depraida
an Artist at Large
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASinUTjpg.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	59029  
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #6
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
What is amazing about our ability to communicate now and interact with people across the globe in an instant is that we've only just begun in terms of the technology and use/availability of information. We ain't seen nothing yet...

Just as amazing now as when Bell said "Mr. Watson, come here, I want to see you", must of been to the world back then. Folks wondered about what else could possibly be invented further...

No matter where we are, we are no longer isolated, other than by our own bias (another good reason for reading the Economist - much better coverage than the tabloid newspapers/magazines here). Pretty much anything & everything can be had on-line...

Kind of a modern twist to the definition of nomad.

Great shot Michael - where you at - Ft. Davis area- Alpine?
Bill & Kim
34í Classic Limited w/slideout (Anabelle)
Chevy Silverado * 2500HD Duramax * LTZ
WBCCI 7005 * AIR 9218

The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Great articles - thaks for the link! I think there are more and more of us taking our business mobile.
1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:13 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
Interesting articles - I too enjoy The Economist because of its thoughtful, cerebral reporting with a thoroughly global perspective.

There are some paradoxes developing. People increasingly prefer the social interaction of city centres, but can communicate from anywhere. They communicate with friends and colleagues, but can spend more time at home with their families. They have more flexibility in their jobs, but may spend more time working (or always being mentally "on").

The discussion of new office environments reminds of the office format adopted by Chiat Day in the early to mid-90s - no private offices, just a locker, and laptops with a wireless network. There were work carrels, meeting rooms, and various types of lounge areas for working and meeting co-workers and clients. It lasted a couple of years before the desire of workers for a personal workstation became very apparent. Maybe they moved ahead too soon, i.e. ahead of the demographic curve, or maybe a degree of private space is an intrinsic human need.

In many ways, the development of communications technology makes RV travel (and/or living) more attractive, but the costs are rising and RV parks in some desirable areas are being redeveloped.

The changes and developments will be very interesting to observe and participate in. In the meantime, we will continue to enjoy RV travel as a convenient, relatively economical way of vacationing, and our next computer will be a laptop to take advantage of the growing avaialability of wi-fi.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #9
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
It is articles like these, and Amory Lovins, Natural Capitalism, of a few years back that keep me thinking that a quality trailer and the ability to communicate easily "ought" to mean a fundamental change in the ways we live. Such as the combination trailer garages/houses that some have built. I see these and I think it not so attractive for retirement as for working right now.
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master
1976 Argosy 24
Mobile Living

This is the intriguing home of member SHACKSMAN.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Home_park overhead.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	59726

Iíve not seen it yet but the living quarters are apparently above an old blacksmith shop, situated in a hamlet along the Avon River near Stratford, Ontario.

Thatís nearby so I am going to someday soon ask if I can come over for some inspiration.