Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
A friend of mine did a civil war battle field trip. He drove to many of the battle fields one summer and had a great time. Maritime and aviation museums are really cool. I have been to a Maritime museum on lake superior and a aviation museum. Warner Robbins in Georgia has a great aviation museum. Heck there are so many places to go I am just getting excited about this summer just typing this.

Look at your childrens social studies curriculum map and see what they have to master. That will help you plan

Brian
Old 01-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post

That is a bummer.. unless I can find dog boarding we might not be able to do that Chicago.... Can't leave the Dane for more than 4-5 hours!
Well, you might be able to find a good doggie day care where your Dane could play and have doggie-fun while you were in the city. ??

We take Lily to one here, once a week, for $16. She absolutely loves it, and it is "date-day" for us---do some shopping, have lunch out, etc. They also do boarding.

We have been very, very happy with them. The staff are all dog-lovers, Lily can't wait to get inside when we get there and greet all her 2 legged and 4 legged buddies.

There is a nice county park just north of here, Comlara, and a train station in Normal that will get you into downtown Chicago in a couple of hours.

I'm sure doggie day care accessibility would be pretty high in the Chicago outlying area, too, and the Metra runs everywhere. Might be something to consider.

What an adventure awaits you and your family! You're going to have to do a thread to keep us all informed of where you are and what you're doing.

Maggie
Old 01-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #63
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Well, you might be able to find a good doggie day care where your Dane could play and have doggie-fun while you were in the city. ??

We take Lily to one here, once a week, for $16. She absolutely loves it, and it is "date-day" for us---do some shopping, have lunch out, etc. They also do boarding.

We have been very, very happy with them. The staff are all dog-lovers, Lily can't wait to get inside when we get there and greet all her 2 legged and 4 legged buddies.

There is a nice county park just north of here, Comlara, and a train station in Normal that will get you into downtown Chicago in a couple of hours.

I'm sure doggie day care accessibility would be pretty high in the Chicago outlying area, too, and the Metra runs everywhere. Might be something to consider.

What an adventure awaits you and your family! You're going to have to do a thread to keep us all informed of where you are and what you're doing.

Maggie
I will just have to do some research on doggie daycares.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #64
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Been organizing the 11 pages o data from a word doc into a spreadsheet.... it's impressive.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 01-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
Look at your childrens social studies curriculum map and see what they have to master. That will help you plan

Brian
What a great idea.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Rideair is right about the Shenandoah Valley! Be sure to visit the Museum of American Frontier Culture in Saunton; it will be the highlight of your trip. Our kids LOVE it and it is amazing.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #67
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:

Brian
I plan on using this idea. Their core curriculum is an Intro to American History. I won't get the curriculum until April but I'm compiling all the recommendations into a spreadsheet for easy access and just loosely planning for now.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 01-13-2012, 05:02 AM   #68
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Stream'n 1987-2012 we've found a strict schedule sometimes spoils the fun.
Leave some wiggle room, as Kirmit said, "times fun, when your have'n flies"

Bob
Old 01-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
RebelStand:

They should already have the curriculum map on line. Most curriculum spells it out for you before recieve the curriculum. Just get online and look. I think your plan is awesome. Performance, visual, audio, with some reading is a great way to learn. I wish I could join you guys

Brian
Old 01-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
If you visit Monticello, don't miss James Monroe's estate right next door. Also don't miss Montpelier (James and Dolley Madison) about 30 miles down the road at Orange, VA. Three founding fathers' homes in one area.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #71
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Stream'n 1987-2012 we've found a strict schedule sometimes spoils the fun.
Leave some wiggle room, as Kirmit said, "times fun, when your have'n flies"

Bob
We discovered you need wiggle room just to stop and take a break from moving every week...

I think this years planning will be a lot looser than last years.

Quote:
RebelStand:

They should already have the curriculum map on line. Most curriculum spells it out for you before recieve the curriculum. Just get online and look. I think your plan is awesome. Performance, visual, audio, with some reading is a great way to learn. I wish I could join you guys

Brian
I didn't find one but I am going to email the company and ask for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
If you visit Monticello, don't miss James Monroe's estate right next door. Also don't miss Montpelier (James and Dolley Madison) about 30 miles down the road at Orange, VA. Three founding fathers' homes in one area.
Thanks. I will add it to the list!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 01-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva

But it still was the site of the founding of the oldest continuous representative legislative body in the world. Plus, the museum is cool--the colonial craft workshops really do a great job of maintaining almost lost skills.
Did they really tell you that that? I think that the Isle of Man, and maybe Malta might take exception. Were they referring to some pre Colombian legislative body? Obviously, the English Parliament is older, as it authorized the Williamsburg assembly in the first place. What am I missing?
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:27 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmm, there are some teachers and historians on this thread.

Maggie
Old 01-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashSilver View Post
Did they really tell you that that? I think that the Isle of Man, and maybe Malta might take exception. Were they referring to some pre Colombian legislative body? Obviously, the English Parliament is older, as it authorized the Williamsburg assembly in the first place. What am I missing?
The key here is continuous--the British Parliament was shut down for a few years since 1619 (when the Virginia House of Burgesses, now called the House of Delegates was founded). Don't know about the Isle of Man--but I do know that in 2008, Queen Elizabeth did come to VA on the anniversary of the Jamestown landing and recognized the House of Delegates for being oldest. But now I notice that the website qualifies this to the Western hemisphere.

That said, almost all of the houses at Colonial Williamsburg are original. I had been under the wrong impression that there were relocated houses (like Sturbridge Village, which I adore as well)--but I was corrected on that.

Granted--there is the question of restoration, which wasn't as conscious an effort in the 1930s as now--but the Foundation has worked to correct past errors. Also, there are a few new re-creations--a coffee house that was built about 5 years ago and a magazine/smiths shop which they are presently in the process of excavating and re-creating. These were built because the historic and social function are necessary components of the story and community CW presents. I think there were also a couple of craft shops built in the 80s, but they've torn them down in the past few years.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Cooperstown. Yes, it has the baseball hall of fame but much more. The area was was the setting for The Leatherstocking Tales by James Fenimore Cooper. In fact, you can visit Natty Bumto's cave which would be a great adventure for the kids. Plus there is a great museum with life masks of some of the founding fathers including Jefferson and Adams. They can see what these people really looked like.

Also, the last time I checked, it has a 10,10,10 rated RV park on the lake.

Also, on your way to Boston, go up the east side of the Hudson and stop at Sleepy Hollow. Again, the kids will love it.

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
Dahlonega , Georgia
Jamestowne (the real Jamestowne)

The best day of our trip to Williamsburg and the surrouning areas was our day spent at the original Jamestown settlement which has only been discovered and "unearthed" in the past 15-18 years. Everyone thought it had eroded into the river. Fabulous history!
Old 01-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by socdiva View Post
The best day of our trip to Williamsburg and the surrouning areas was our day spent at the original Jamestown settlement which has only been discovered and "unearthed" in the past 15-18 years. Everyone thought it had eroded into the river. Fabulous history!
Good point. The glassworks nearby (also part of the national park) are not to be missed. Speaking of national parks, we've accidentally visited the historic triangle in years past and found it to be national park week. This year it's April 21-29. This gets you free admission to all national parks. For a family, this can be a big savings. An in the historic triangle, two of the three destinations have national parks!

I highly recommend national park passports. Our kids love getting the stamps at the various locations. Even mom & dad bought one Hopefully we will fill them all up traveling in the Airstream.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #78
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue View Post
This 3-day weekend we are hitching up and going north to Old Sturbridge Village once again.
We arrived home a couple of hours ago with a new heated mattress pad.
MAN, it was cold!
4 degrees Saturday night, and a balmy 9 degrees last night.

Our cheeks may be a little wind-burned but we had an excellent weekend.
We learned about Elizabeth Freeman (Mum Bett) who was born into slavery and who would be the first African-American to successfully sue for her freedom in 1781.
At the heart of her case was the concept that all men are born free and equal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	149034   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	149035  

Old 01-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #79
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
1. They could not give me a curriculum map of cities. I am just going to organize the data and have it ready when the curriculum arrives.
2. We have the National Park Annual Pass.... one of the best things we bought. We did take advantage of one of the free days before getting the pass.
3. Just might send that pm about for the museum critique but I am nowhere near ready for that.
4. Lastly, every time I think I'm close to getting it all put into the spreadsheet you guys pop in and give me more.....just wanted to say THANKS and keep it coming!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 01-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #80
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Just finished organizing the data I have in a spreadsheet.

There are around 170 lines of suggestions and notes.

TAC OK-42

]

Tags
history, planning