Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #21
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
If your travels bring you into Upstate New York there is Ft. Ticonderoga and Ft. William Henry ( Lake George area). Both important during the revolutionary war. In Maine Acadia NP and Bar Harbor should be a must see. Just south of there is Ft. Knox State Park. Interesting colonial fort overlooking the rivers. Further south in Bath, Me is a very nice shipbuilding museum.

Lots to see but not enough time. You certainly are on the right track.
Good luck in your adventure

PS: I see you have Mamoth caves on your hit list. We were disappointed when there 2 summers back. If you want to take any their guided tours you gotta plan ahead. At least a day ahead and make reservations. When we were there we couldn't do anything except a self-guided walk and that was a big disappointment. So think ( and plan ) ahead.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Close to Gettysburg is Hershey, PA--home to another American Icon, The Hershey Bar. They have a small museum that covers Milton Hershey's life and a GREAT amusement park. There is also a nice camp ground there, though we did it in a tent so I have no idea about their RV accommodations.

While doing Williamsburg, Jamestown and York Town don't miss Busch Gardens and Water Country USA. Both fun summertime parks.

You might have noticed that I like to mix my history with Roller Coasters and Lazy Rivers. Unless you can find an amazing deal I don't recommend buying your tickets for either place too far ahead. When you get to the areas check out the fast food places and grocery stores for some great ticket deals. Lots of time there will be soda cans with BOGO offers or good deals on weekday admissions. You can google it before you arrive.

You know what they say about all work and no play.....

Sue
Disneysue925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #23
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
Alrighty, ladies and gents we are looking for some suggestions. Next spring we (2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs) are embarking on an east of the Mississippi tour. We are guessing this trip will almost take us a year to complete (late April to early March). Our children's homeschool curriculum will be an Introduction to American History. We are looking for some advice on places to visit and campgrounds. Not all places have to be history related.

The only definite plans include OH in late June, PA in July, and FL in early Nov. We intend to go all the way up to Maine and then all the way down to Florida.

Stops we already have on the agenda -
Washington, DC
Colonial Williamsburg
Walt Disney World
Mammouth Cave

Right now the list is pretty pitiful for a 10 month journey....
She also forgot to mention the Smithsonian....which aside from the bash and our own rally is at the top of the list for me and the boy!

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 20
Lusby , Maryland
In Philadelphia

My husband went to the Benjamin Franklin museum and said it was great. We homeschooled our kids and unfortunately never made it there. He was really impressed by the inventions.
Decembergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Make part of your research contacting places mentioned, nothing worse than arriving at an enactment site or museum and finding it is closed or the program you wanted was yesterday. Our history includes a lot of battles but to kids cemeteries might not hold much interest unless they are old enough and can understand how our freedom was attained by the ultimate sacrifice of the brave buried at the sites.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #26
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Fort Mc Henry, Fort Howard, Fort Armistead, North Point. All points of interest for the War of 1812. All are less than 45 minutes drive from the courtesy parking you have been offered.
Sharpsburg/ Antienem, Gettysburg, Mannassas, Harpers Ferry, the Wilderness and about 10 other Civil War battle sites all less then 2 hours from said courtesy parking.
Smithsonian Institution, White House, Congress, all the Monuments, and let's never forget DuPont Circle less than an hour, often thirty minutes when traffic is right, from said parking.
As ghuer mentioned Edgar Allan Poe was laid to rest here. His house is very cool to see(it is in a not so good part of town, so the adventure adds to the tour). Babe Ruth was from Baltimore. HL Menkin was from here too. All that stuff is like a half hour away.
The Aquarium is well worth the visit. If you have never been, put it on the list. The Science Center is right around the corner of the inner Harbor from the Aquarium. You can take a water taxi between the two and learn about boating. That should cover the science part of the learning.
Don't forget the Arts in that home schoolin'! While taking that water taxi, one it's stops is the Visionary Art Museum. This is probably one of the coolest Museums you will ever visit. It is dedicated to untrained artist. The BMA has got an immense collection Impressionist painting and a very good modern collection. The miniature house collection is my favorite part. The Walter's is an awesome Art Museum also. There are many galleries to see at my alma mater, The Maryland Institute, College of Art. There are many art galleries all over the City.
If you want to educate them about other cultures while on this trip, you can do that here too. This is a true melting pot and everyone is represented in this city.
If you want to see some Airstream people while in Baltimore, Frank' Trailer Works is located in Baltimore, Colonial Airstream is just North and Airstream of Fredricksburg is just South of said parking.
And on a parting note, your axles need replacing. You might be able to have that done while you are here.
1. How much time does it take to see all that stuff?
2. Our axles do indeed need replacing. Do you know someone that might be up to the task?

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:30 PM   #27
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Chocolate...did someone say Chocolate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneysue925 View Post
Close to Gettysburg is Hershey, PA--home to another American Icon, The Hershey Bar. They have a small museum that covers Milton Hershey's life and a GREAT amusement park. There is also a nice camp ground there, though we did it in a tent so I have no idea about their RV accommodations.

Sue
.....yum.....

TAC OK-42

]
Old 12-24-2011, 05:34 PM   #28
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
I have to say I am encouraged, excited about and very grateful for all the suggestions so far. As soon as we get out of family obligations I'm going to start checking into all of them.

Merry Christmas!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 12-24-2011, 05:43 PM   #29
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
1. How much time does it take to see all that stuff?
As much time as you want it to. Some want to see a quick version, some want to see it in depth. You choose.
2. Our axles do indeed need replacing. Do you know someone that might be up to the task?Funny, I actually know two guys that would love love to swap your axles for you.
Hope that tweaks you
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
early american history

A little has been mentioned about New Jersey but there are many Revolutionary sites that are worth seeing:

1. Washington Crossing State Park on both the New Jersey and Pennsylvania side. You can camp at Bull's Island State Park not that far away. (No electric hookup). You can then bike along the Delaware River on a bike path which is located on an old railroad bed which parallels the canal dug by Irish immigrants in the 1830's. Both on the Penn and Jersey sides.

2. Trenton Barracks are along the Delaware in Trenton N.J.not far from Bull's Island State Park. Washington crossed the Delaware River here, marched to Trenton and surprised the Hessians during the Christmas of 17--? and won that battle which turned "things" around for the Americans.

3. Princeton is also not that far from Bull's Island. You can still see a cannon ball from the Revolutionary War embedded in one of the buildings at the University.

4. Albert Einstein lived in Princeton for many years. You can see his house but it is not now open to visitors.

5. The Jersey Shore is famous for its summer fun and has a number of historical towns. Cape May for one.

6. From Cape May you can take the ferry which brings you to Delaware and Maryland. Then go see and camp at Assateague National Park which has both beach side and bay camping. Don't go in the midst of the summer - its hot and the mosquitos are out in force. No electric hookup at the National Park. (The state Park does have electric hookup). See the remains of what a hurricane did in the early '60's. See the wild horses that roam about freely. There is a new visitor center with a touch museum, movies and hiking trails,
Great for kayaking or canoeing.

7. Camp in the New Jersey Pine Barrens and you can visit the Jersey Shore and Philadelphia with all of its Revolutionary historical places to visit.

8. My wife and I have camped in most of the states and we find the New Jersey State campgrounds to be very private and pleasant places to camp in. Camp in the Pine Barrens and you can visit cranberry farms, the shore and many historical places linked to the Revolutionary War.

there is much more but that should keep you busy. wolf146
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:05 PM   #31
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf146 View Post
A little has been mentioned about New Jersey but there are many Revolutionary sites that are worth seeing:

1. Washington Crossing State Park on both the New Jersey and Pennsylvania side. You can camp at Bull's Island State Park not that far away. (No electric hookup). You can then bike along the Delaware River on a bike path which is located on an old railroad bed which parallels the canal dug by Irish immigrants in the 1830's. Both on the Penn and Jersey sides.

2. Trenton Barracks are along the Delaware in Trenton N.J.not far from Bull's Island State Park. Washington crossed the Delaware River here, marched to Trenton and surprised the Hessians during the Christmas of 17--? and won that battle which turned "things" around for the Americans.

3. Princeton is also not that far from Bull's Island. You can still see a cannon ball from the Revolutionary War embedded in one of the buildings at the University.

4. Albert Einstein lived in Princeton for many years. You can see his house but it is not now open to visitors.

5. The Jersey Shore is famous for its summer fun and has a number of historical towns. Cape May for one.

6. From Cape May you can take the ferry which brings you to Delaware and Maryland. Then go see and camp at Assateague National Park which has both beach side and bay camping. Don't go in the midst of the summer - its hot and the mosquitos are out in force. No electric hookup at the National Park. (The state Park does have electric hookup). See the remains of what a hurricane did in the early '60's. See the wild horses that roam about freely. There is a new visitor center with a touch museum, movies and hiking trails,
Great for kayaking or canoeing.

7. Camp in the New Jersey Pine Barrens and you can visit the Jersey Shore and Philadelphia with all of its Revolutionary historical places to visit.

8. My wife and I have camped in most of the states and we find the New Jersey State campgrounds to be very private and pleasant places to camp in. Camp in the Pine Barrens and you can visit cranberry farms, the shore and many historical places linked to the Revolutionary War.

there is much more but that should keep you busy. wolf146
You know...we lived in NJ for 2 years (pre-airstream era) and the only historical sight we saw was Washington Rock (only because it was up the hill in Warren, just north of where we lived)...I suppose we'll have to give up our prejudices from living there before, and give it another shot

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:00 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Not like you need more, but here's my hit list, some of which have already been mentioned.

OH
  1. Columbus - Zoo
  2. Cincinnati - wonderful town on the Ohio river. We'd never visiting long term, but would like to.
  3. Amish country - near our house in north central OH
  4. Airstream factory - duh!
IN
  1. Elkhart - RV / MH hall of fame
  2. Elkhart - RV surplus parts stores.
IL (if you get that far west)

1. Chicago - great museums on the waterfront
  2. Chicago - Rick Bayless's restaurants downtown
MI
  1. Frankenmuth - year-round Christmas town / shopping
  2. Dundee - Cabela's
  3. The Mackinac Bridge - It's a haul to get up there, but the area above and below the bridge plus the island is all pretty neat. Go in the summer for sure...it gets cold still overnight up there even in July!
  4. Dearborn - The Henry Ford Mueseum and Greenfield Village. Plan to spend at least two days to cover both.
PA
  1. Ligonier - IdleWild or Kennywood (likely your kids would need KennyWood)
  2. Gettysburg - Battlefield and Hershey nearby
NY
  1. Niagara Falls (stay on the US side, walk across the bridge for the day to the Canadian side)
  2. Upstate - I've not stayed overnight up there, but driven through a few times. The Adirondacks are wonderful. If nothing else, plan a route through them on your way to/from Vermont
VT - Waterbury - Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Factory

ME - Freeport - LL Bean headquarters

RI - Newport - Mansions; there's a tourist tolley-bus route that will drop you off at pretty much any / all of the mansions.

VA
  1. Charlottesville - Monticello
  2. Williamsburg / Historic Triangle
    1. Colonial Williamsburg
    2. Yorktown
    3. Jamestown
    4. Colonial Parkway
    5. Busch Gardens
  3. Virginia Beach Area
    1. Seafood
    2. Bridges / Tunnels
    3. Northrop Grumman shipyards (where they build aircraft carriers)
    4. Air museum & IMAX theater
  4. James River banks - multiple plantations
NC
  1. Outer Banks
  2. Kitty Hawk (first flight)
  3. Asheville - Biltmore Estate & Winery
  4. Blue Ridge Parkway
SC - Charleston; lots of old houses / war history

KY
  1. Bowling Green - Corvette factory
  2. Mammoth Cave
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #33
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
Not like you need more, but here's my hit list, some of which have already been mentioned.
it always good to have more options...... I can't wait to get to planning.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 12-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #34
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
I decided to take a moment to copy all your suggestions into a Word doc. You guys & gals rock. You gave me 8 pages worth of advice and suggestions. the word count was 2584.

I am going to sort them out and thanks so much. I am still open for suggestions if someone has something to add.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 01-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Here in Richmond is the white house of the confederacy (really not that impressive, but it might be good to check off the list - the Edgar Allan Poe Musuem. Not too far is Henricus Park - probably the BEST recreation of what an original settlement looked like. Pretty amazing setup. They recreated most of the buildings as they would have looked when the colonists first set up camp. Also includes an indian village, and several dugout canoes in progress. You may want to look at each city's calendar of events as well, like www.richmond.com. For example, you might be able to catch a civil war re-enactment. Maybe even do a search for the state and date coming up, like google "Baltimore May, 12, 2012" and family and see what pops up for events.

You can spend weeks in DC. Yeah, there's the smithsonian, but there are so many other things like the national botanical gardens, the spy museum, museum of odditities, riply's museums are sometimes interesting. See if you can get museum passes. For example, the science museum of Virginia has reciprocating partner programs - where if you have a pass at their museum, the other one will take the pass and vice versa. Also, try to find the farmer's markets in the areas you're going to - might keep you healthier on the trip.

We homeschool our two boys, and the younger turned 5 this year, so we're about ready to take the DC trip ourselves.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
I am kind of surprised at how few people mentioned Williamsburg and Jamestown... Williamsburg in particular is cool because it is not a reproduction, it is Williamsburg, just like it was when our Forefathers were drawing up the Declaration of Independence.. You can walk on the same streets, sit in the same tavern....pretty amazing...

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
I am kind of surprised at how few people mentioned Williamsburg and Jamestown... Williamsburg in particular is cool because it is not a reproduction, it is Williamsburg, just like it was when our Forefathers were drawing up the Declaration of Independence.. You can walk on the same streets, sit in the same tavern....pretty amazing...
Although having gone to Williamsburg many times, I don't claim to be a pro about the history. However, I thought that the Magazine and maybe Burton Parish Church were the only true original buildings. I seem to remember hearing on the various tours that building X was reconstructed on the original foundation, building Y was gutted by a fire and only the fireplace was still standing, etc.? Basically most of the town has been reconstructed using period techniques and materials, I think.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #38
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
A suggestion,
Before you go, put together themed notebooks about American history. Then as you travel, let your travels take you where they may. As you pass through the various regions and come across places of interest that match your notebooks, use what you learn local to build on your notebooks.

Some possible themes
1. Presidents. I think all but 8 were born east of the Mississippi. A great way to tie history together.
2. How transportation formed America. Trains, planes, autos, boats, canals, etc.
3. Revolutionary war.
4. Civil war.
5. Industry.
6. Farming.
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
Although having gone to Williamsburg many times, I don't claim to be a pro about the history. However, I thought that the Magazine and maybe Burton Parish Church were the only true original buildings. I seem to remember hearing on the various tours that building X was reconstructed on the original foundation, building Y was gutted by a fire and only the fireplace was still standing, etc.? Basically most of the town has been reconstructed using period techniques and materials, I think.
That'll teach me to post without proofreading and then go eat dinner so that my "Edit" timeframe expires...

should have been Bruton Parish Church, not Burton
Old 01-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #40
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
Complete with the vary same gift shop in the beginning and end of each and every building just like our forefathers shopped when they toured the very streets. In the past 10 years Williamsburg has become an experience much like going to Disney(which I know many of you love so my point is wasted) where the entire experience is controlled. Every opportunity to squeeze a dollar is taken advantage of too.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
history, planning