Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #81
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by socdiva View Post
The best day of our trip to Williamsburg and the surrouning areas was our day spent at the original Jamestown settlement which has only been discovered and "unearthed" in the past 15-18 years. Everyone thought it had eroded into the river. Fabulous history!
Thought I had made this post over the weekend but my phone was not working real well (we were camping!)

I agree with the above. Kinda. I love Williamsburg the best. But was amazed a few years ago to find the Jamestown settlement being dug out. What a great place to visit especially since I grew up there learning it was out in the river. And it was fun!! But then, just to add to the spreadsheet, take the Jamestown ferry to Surrey and get some peanut soup at the Surrey Inn. Then you may as well head on over to Smithfield for some of that world famous Smithfield ham.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #82
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Sorry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
Thought I had made this post over the weekend but my phone was not working real well (we were camping!)

I agree with the above. Kinda. I love Williamsburg the best. But was amazed a few years ago to find the Jamestown settlement being dug out. What a great place to visit especially since I grew up there learning it was out in the river. And it was fun!! But then, just to add to the spreadsheet, take the Jamestown ferry to Surrey and get some peanut soup at the Surrey Inn. Then you may as well head on over to Smithfield for some of that world famous Smithfield ham.
I saw this and got too busy to comment... it has been added!

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #83
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Just wanted to update everyone...

I have ordered the homeschooling curriculum. I am hoping to follow the suggestion of letting the curriculum dictate our travels. I can't wait to open the curriculum and see where it will lead us!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 03-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #84
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Hope it involves coming to Baltimore
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #85
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Of course...I still need to place that order, get'em delivered and figure out what month we'll be there!

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #86
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
was there ever any doubt?

TAC OK-42

]
Old 03-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #87
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius View Post
Of course...I still need to place that order, get'em delivered and figure out what month we'll be there!
jeez...no pressure on me

TAC OK-42

]
Old 03-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #88
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
The Best Laid Plans....

Shawn has just found out something that is going to cause us to change our plans drastically. Instead of a meandering trip through the midwest to get to the BASH and the east coast, we are now going to have to truck pretty fast up to Massachusetts. So much for letting the curriculum guide our Journey ... but thanks to you guys I have an entire spreadsheet full of places to visit!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 04-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #89
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
We have been back on the road for a few weeks. So far we have visited Graceland and The Andrew Johnson Homestead.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 04-30-2012, 07:28 AM   #90
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Nicki,

Still in Tennessee?

Glad your on the road, hope all goes well.

Bob
Old 04-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
We have been back on the road for a few weeks. So far we have visited Graceland and The Andrew Johnson Homestead.
Glad you are out and about.

We really enjoyed Graceland. Very well done, comprehensive, didn't seem to be trying to gouge one out of every possible nickel and dime.

Travel safe,

Maggie
Old 04-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #92
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
Nicki,

Still in Tennessee?

Glad your on the road, hope all goes well.

Bob
Still in Tennessee at least till the weekend. Then we are headed up Baltimore way

TAC OK-42

]
Old 04-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #93
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie

Glad you are out and about.

We really enjoyed Graceland. Very well done, comprehensive, didn't seem to be trying to gouge one out of every possible nickel and dime.

Travel safe,

Maggie
Graceland was interesting but the real attraction, at least for the kids, was the planes and cars!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 04-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand

Graceland was interesting but the real attraction, at least for the kids, was the planes and cars!
Oh, yes, those were Doug's favorite parts!

Maggie
Old 04-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #95
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I missed this thread and now see you are on the road.

Buffalo—lots of Victorian architecture. Mansions on Delaware Ave. are impressive and one or more probably have tours: they did years ago. City Hall has some great Art Deco features and the top floor gives a great view of the area. You can also see how a once great industrial city and port dies.

Bethlehem, Pa. Site of an 18th century Moravian settlement, I believe they have restored it. The site of the Bethlehem Steel Co. plant (another victim of the post-industrial era) is being redeveloped.

Easton, Pa.—classic old town with a central square at the confluence of the Delaware and Lehigh Rivers. The old canals may still be visible. If you take US 611 south, you follow the Delaware River, the old canal, and many historic sites.

Antietam battlefield in Md.—I believe this was the bloodiest battle of the Civil War and teaches about the ugliness of war. Nearby is Harper's Ferry—historic park, site of John Brown's effort to start a slave uprising and a town that changed hands numerous times during the war.

Coal country in NE Pa.—towns like Hazleton and Mahoney City were surrounded by slag heaps from irresponsible mining and I doubt it has changed. Teaches about environmental disasters. Pa. is a beautiful state, but some parts were ravaged.

US 80 across Alabama and Miss. is sometimes called the Civil Rights Highway—Selma, Montgomery are on that highway.

Charleston has been mentioned. Outside town are plantations to view. Drayton Hall has been preserved without being restored with period furniture. You can see how it was more authentically.

Savannah is another city from the past with numerous squares and many restored mansions.

Roanoke Is. has what I recall are replicas of the original British colony in what is now the US. Kitty Hawk is nearby—site of first airplane flight.

Asheville, NC, also has a number of Art Deco buildings including city hall and downtown.

Boston's Faneuil Hall is where Sam Adams and other radicals held town meetings to rally the citizens. Nearby are Paul Revere's house, Old North Church, Boston Commons and many other sites.

We've visited some of the president's homes that had significance to us—Mount Vernon seems small by today's standards and so does Monticello. The Hermitage (Jackson) near Nashville still has the original wallpaper and is well preserved. The Lincoln house and historic district in Springfield has been mentioned. There is also a building with his law office nearby.

We found Mammoth Cave interesting and took two tours. Reservations are a good idea. The most basic tour goes past the saltpeter mine—used for gunpowder during the Revolution I think.

Cumberland Gap—where the late 18th century pioneers crossed to the west and later became the gap where the first federal highway went—The National Road, much later US 40 more or less. 200+ years ago the same fights went on about federal vs. state power and whether the feds should build a road to the west.

Enough for now. I have tried to point out some places and attractions more off the beaten path or not mentioned.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #96
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I missed this thread and now see you are on the road.

Buffalo—lots of Victorian architecture. Mansions on Delaware Ave. are impressive and one or more probably have tours: they did years ago. City Hall has some great Art Deco features and the top floor gives a great view of the area. You can also see how a once great industrial city and port dies.

Bethlehem, Pa. Site of an 18th century Moravian settlement, I believe they have restored it. The site of the Bethlehem Steel Co. plant (another victim of the post-industrial era) is being redeveloped.

Easton, Pa.—classic old town with a central square at the confluence of the Delaware and Lehigh Rivers. The old canals may still be visible. If you take US 611 south, you follow the Delaware River, the old canal, and many historic sites.

Antietam battlefield in Md.—I believe this was the bloodiest battle of the Civil War and teaches about the ugliness of war. Nearby is Harper's Ferry—historic park, site of John Brown's effort to start a slave uprising and a town that changed hands numerous times during the war.

Coal country in NE Pa.—towns like Hazleton and Mahoney City were surrounded by slag heaps from irresponsible mining and I doubt it has changed. Teaches about environmental disasters. Pa. is a beautiful state, but some parts were ravaged.

US 80 across Alabama and Miss. is sometimes called the Civil Rights Highway—Selma, Montgomery are on that highway.

Charleston has been mentioned. Outside town are plantations to view. Drayton Hall has been preserved without being restored with period furniture. You can see how it was more authentically.

Savannah is another city from the past with numerous squares and many restored mansions.

Roanoke Is. has what I recall are replicas of the original British colony in what is now the US. Kitty Hawk is nearby—site of first airplane flight.

Asheville, NC, also has a number of Art Deco buildings including city hall and downtown.

Boston's Faneuil Hall is where Sam Adams and other radicals held town meetings to rally the citizens. Nearby are Paul Revere's house, Old North Church, Boston Commons and many other sites.

We've visited some of the president's homes that had significance to us—Mount Vernon seems small by today's standards and so does Monticello. The Hermitage (Jackson) near Nashville still has the original wallpaper and is well preserved. The Lincoln house and historic district in Springfield has been mentioned. There is also a building with his law office nearby.

We found Mammoth Cave interesting and took two tours. Reservations are a good idea. The most basic tour goes past the saltpeter mine—used for gunpowder during the Revolution I think.

Cumberland Gap—where the late 18th century pioneers crossed to the west and later became the gap where the first federal highway went—The National Road, much later US 40 more or less. 200+ years ago the same fights went on about federal vs. state power and whether the feds should build a road to the west.

Enough for now. I have tried to point out some places and attractions more off the beaten path or not mentioned.

Gene
I will add these suggestions to the spreadsheet I created. Thanks!!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 04-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #97
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
"Buffalo—lots of Victorian architecture. Mansions on Delaware Ave. are impressive and one or more probably have tours: they did years ago. City Hall has some great Art Deco features and the top floor gives a great view of the area. You can also see how a once great industrial city and port dies."

Don't forget the Wings....

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04231.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	157204  
Old 04-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #98
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Don't forget the Wings....

Bob
I'm not sure the wings are historical.

Buffalo also has Allentown which is now probably very cool. Lots of Victoriana and some house date to the very early 1800's. There's one on Irving Pl. that was built not long after Buffalo was settled in 1803. It is close to Allen St. on the south side—I think it is 3 stores, brick and very rectangular. Probably was surrounded by farmland then. This is one mile from downtown. A lot of houses were built in the 1880's on the other end of the block. I think 64 Irving was built in 1886—I once owned it. North St. (the other end of Irving) had a very expensive houses before 1900, but by the 1970's, a lot were gone and replaced by apartment houses. Allentown went downhill eventually, but by the 1960's was being gentrified.

Ask Bob Cross for a tour—he lived close to Allentown years ago.

The county courthouse downtown is classic Victorian to the max and is quite ugly. Nearby is the Prudential bldg, a Louis Sullivan design: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prudent...anty)_Building. Not so far to the Ellicott Square Bldg on Main St.: Ellicott Square Building - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Once the largest office building in the world, the interior courtyard is pretty cool. There were two major railroad stations. The one close to downtown was in shambles by the 1970's, but the marble interior was still spectacular (it was easy to get through the fences around it). The other station was still operating, but rail service by then was spotty. Delaware Park was designed by Frederick Law Omstead (Central Park in NYC) and was kind of shabby by the '70's, but still showed the designer's famed park designs. Pretty Boy Floyd also lived in Buffalo for a while in the 1920's in an apartment building with features more advanced than seen most places. By the '70's it was a wreck.

Buffalo was a major port from the time the Erie Canal was finished until the St. Lawrence Seaway was built. The railroads supplanted the canal for commerce. Grains were shipped from the midwest and milled in Buffalo and then sent by rail to east coast. Steel and auto plants in neighboring cities made this an industrial center. The Seaway enabled ships to keep going to the coast or Europe and the grain mills all closed. Buffalo, despite the famous weather, was one of America's most important cities and when the Seaway opened had around 650,000 people in the 1950's. By the '70's, it was down to 350,000 and now around 250,000. The Seaway was a bad idea for Buffalo. The destruction of cities around the Great Lakes started in Buffalo and the spread. What a waste! Living in a dying city is not easy and the winters of '76-'77 and '77-'78 were enough for me.

Anyone who goes to Buffalo to see the sights will be mostly alone. There is still a lot of significant architecture.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
History...Bah! Humbug!

Let's not go all historic! If you are going to be in Mass. Think about Salem, Ma. and the Puritan witch trials. Loads of museums and sites in the area and not to far from Plymouth Rock! Colonial battle sites like Breeds hill and Bunker Hill lots of other places to see and check out in Boston too! Paaark the Caaar! Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:14 AM   #100
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Uhm, Ed, those are all place of historical significants. It is kind of hard to avoid history even when trying to just see the sights.
The Kelly's are passing through Baltimore very soon to have some axles swapped out on their trailer. When they do, I promise to send them off on a tour where the history is balanced out with some pure fun. I however, find history to be highly stimulating. Maybe they can go fly kites at Fort Mc Henry. Fun at the site where the Star Spangled Banner was written, learning and fun all in one visit. Being from far from the sea, I think they will need to visit one of our downtown markets and sample some crab cakes, soft crab sandwiches or some Lake Trout. Perhaps they will be more into BBQ(coming from where BBQ is king) and I will have to send them for some Pit Beef(darn, now I am hungry and it is just breakfast time). They could also go visit the Aquarium or the Science Center. Does science count as learning when history is the objective?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
history, planning