Old 01-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Andrea just gave the final, "yes, we're going" to a trip to Williamsburg in the week prior to Easter. So in case any of the fans of Williamsburg would like to go there while at least one other shiny camper is in the park, I would like to draw your attention here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f290...2-a-82963.html. The original response wasn't overwhelming, but maybe we can get two or three Airstreams there.

Nicki and Shawn, any chance your itinerary up the east cost puts you in the area around this time?

Old 01-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
Please visit the attached website (and its imbedded links) Then, enjoy your trip to Colonial Williamsburg and its many "Original" Buildings mixed in with those that were restored and or rebuilt.

http://www.history.org/Foundation/ne...ings-ALPHA.pdf
Andrea and I got schooled on that one! Thanks for posting.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
Chicago, don't miss the Museum of Science and Industry. The Adler Planaterium, and The Filed Museum of Natural History are both excellent as well.
If you get to downtown Chicago , Lincoln Park Zoo is great and free. They have paddleboats on the lagoon that our grandkids love.

There is a terrific LEGO store which has just moved to Watertower Place.

There is a Cheesecake Factory at the base of the John Hancock Building.

Of course, there is no camping in or near Chicago. Might consider staying in an outlying area and taking Amtrak or the Metra in, but those are fun, too.

Lastly, the Lincoln museum and historic area in Springfield, Il, are fascinating and easily accessed. Good, quiet camping available at the Springfield KOA off the Stevenson Drive exit.

Maggie
Old 01-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #60
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
Nicki and Shawn, any chance your itinerary up the east cost puts you in the area around this time?
Nope, we will be in Texas getting our inspections/registration, homeschooling curriculum and passports in order for a late April departure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Of course, there is no camping in or near Chicago. Might consider staying in an outlying area and taking Amtrak or the Metra in, but those are fun, too.

Maggie
That is a bummer.. unless I can find dog boarding we might not be able to do that Chicago.... Can't leave the Dane for more than 4-5 hours!

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
A friend of mine did a civil war battle field trip. He drove to many of the battle fields one summer and had a great time. Maritime and aviation museums are really cool. I have been to a Maritime museum on lake superior and a aviation museum. Warner Robbins in Georgia has a great aviation museum. Heck there are so many places to go I am just getting excited about this summer just typing this.

Look at your childrens social studies curriculum map and see what they have to master. That will help you plan

Brian
Old 01-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post

That is a bummer.. unless I can find dog boarding we might not be able to do that Chicago.... Can't leave the Dane for more than 4-5 hours!
Well, you might be able to find a good doggie day care where your Dane could play and have doggie-fun while you were in the city. ??

We take Lily to one here, once a week, for $16. She absolutely loves it, and it is "date-day" for us---do some shopping, have lunch out, etc. They also do boarding.

We have been very, very happy with them. The staff are all dog-lovers, Lily can't wait to get inside when we get there and greet all her 2 legged and 4 legged buddies.

There is a nice county park just north of here, Comlara, and a train station in Normal that will get you into downtown Chicago in a couple of hours.

I'm sure doggie day care accessibility would be pretty high in the Chicago outlying area, too, and the Metra runs everywhere. Might be something to consider.

What an adventure awaits you and your family! You're going to have to do a thread to keep us all informed of where you are and what you're doing.

Maggie
Old 01-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #63
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Well, you might be able to find a good doggie day care where your Dane could play and have doggie-fun while you were in the city. ??

We take Lily to one here, once a week, for $16. She absolutely loves it, and it is "date-day" for us---do some shopping, have lunch out, etc. They also do boarding.

We have been very, very happy with them. The staff are all dog-lovers, Lily can't wait to get inside when we get there and greet all her 2 legged and 4 legged buddies.

There is a nice county park just north of here, Comlara, and a train station in Normal that will get you into downtown Chicago in a couple of hours.

I'm sure doggie day care accessibility would be pretty high in the Chicago outlying area, too, and the Metra runs everywhere. Might be something to consider.

What an adventure awaits you and your family! You're going to have to do a thread to keep us all informed of where you are and what you're doing.

Maggie
I will just have to do some research on doggie daycares.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 01-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #64
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Been organizing the 11 pages o data from a word doc into a spreadsheet.... it's impressive.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 01-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
Look at your childrens social studies curriculum map and see what they have to master. That will help you plan

Brian
What a great idea.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Rideair is right about the Shenandoah Valley! Be sure to visit the Museum of American Frontier Culture in Saunton; it will be the highlight of your trip. Our kids LOVE it and it is amazing.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #67
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post

Brian
I plan on using this idea. Their core curriculum is an Intro to American History. I won't get the curriculum until April but I'm compiling all the recommendations into a spreadsheet for easy access and just loosely planning for now.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 01-13-2012, 06:02 AM   #68
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Stream'n 1987-2012 we've found a strict schedule sometimes spoils the fun.
Leave some wiggle room, as Kirmit said, "times fun, when your have'n flies"

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
RebelStand:

They should already have the curriculum map on line. Most curriculum spells it out for you before recieve the curriculum. Just get online and look. I think your plan is awesome. Performance, visual, audio, with some reading is a great way to learn. I wish I could join you guys

Brian
Old 01-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
If you visit Monticello, don't miss James Monroe's estate right next door. Also don't miss Montpelier (James and Dolley Madison) about 30 miles down the road at Orange, VA. Three founding fathers' homes in one area.

Tags
history, planning