Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #29
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
 
Frank's Trailer Works's Avatar
 
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,547
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
1. How much time does it take to see all that stuff?
As much time as you want it to. Some want to see a quick version, some want to see it in depth. You choose.
2. Our axles do indeed need replacing. Do you know someone that might be up to the task?Funny, I actually know two guys that would love love to swap your axles for you.
Hope that tweaks you
__________________

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member
 
2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 189
early american history

A little has been mentioned about New Jersey but there are many Revolutionary sites that are worth seeing:

1. Washington Crossing State Park on both the New Jersey and Pennsylvania side. You can camp at Bull's Island State Park not that far away. (No electric hookup). You can then bike along the Delaware River on a bike path which is located on an old railroad bed which parallels the canal dug by Irish immigrants in the 1830's. Both on the Penn and Jersey sides.

2. Trenton Barracks are along the Delaware in Trenton N.J.not far from Bull's Island State Park. Washington crossed the Delaware River here, marched to Trenton and surprised the Hessians during the Christmas of 17--? and won that battle which turned "things" around for the Americans.

3. Princeton is also not that far from Bull's Island. You can still see a cannon ball from the Revolutionary War embedded in one of the buildings at the University.

4. Albert Einstein lived in Princeton for many years. You can see his house but it is not now open to visitors.

5. The Jersey Shore is famous for its summer fun and has a number of historical towns. Cape May for one.

6. From Cape May you can take the ferry which brings you to Delaware and Maryland. Then go see and camp at Assateague National Park which has both beach side and bay camping. Don't go in the midst of the summer - its hot and the mosquitos are out in force. No electric hookup at the National Park. (The state Park does have electric hookup). See the remains of what a hurricane did in the early '60's. See the wild horses that roam about freely. There is a new visitor center with a touch museum, movies and hiking trails,
Great for kayaking or canoeing.

7. Camp in the New Jersey Pine Barrens and you can visit the Jersey Shore and Philadelphia with all of its Revolutionary historical places to visit.

8. My wife and I have camped in most of the states and we find the New Jersey State campgrounds to be very private and pleasant places to camp in. Camp in the Pine Barrens and you can visit cranberry farms, the shore and many historical places linked to the Revolutionary War.

there is much more but that should keep you busy. wolf146
__________________

__________________
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:05 PM   #31
Addicted
 
exthemius's Avatar
 
1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 703
Images: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf146 View Post
A little has been mentioned about New Jersey but there are many Revolutionary sites that are worth seeing:

1. Washington Crossing State Park on both the New Jersey and Pennsylvania side. You can camp at Bull's Island State Park not that far away. (No electric hookup). You can then bike along the Delaware River on a bike path which is located on an old railroad bed which parallels the canal dug by Irish immigrants in the 1830's. Both on the Penn and Jersey sides.

2. Trenton Barracks are along the Delaware in Trenton N.J.not far from Bull's Island State Park. Washington crossed the Delaware River here, marched to Trenton and surprised the Hessians during the Christmas of 17--? and won that battle which turned "things" around for the Americans.

3. Princeton is also not that far from Bull's Island. You can still see a cannon ball from the Revolutionary War embedded in one of the buildings at the University.

4. Albert Einstein lived in Princeton for many years. You can see his house but it is not now open to visitors.

5. The Jersey Shore is famous for its summer fun and has a number of historical towns. Cape May for one.

6. From Cape May you can take the ferry which brings you to Delaware and Maryland. Then go see and camp at Assateague National Park which has both beach side and bay camping. Don't go in the midst of the summer - its hot and the mosquitos are out in force. No electric hookup at the National Park. (The state Park does have electric hookup). See the remains of what a hurricane did in the early '60's. See the wild horses that roam about freely. There is a new visitor center with a touch museum, movies and hiking trails,
Great for kayaking or canoeing.

7. Camp in the New Jersey Pine Barrens and you can visit the Jersey Shore and Philadelphia with all of its Revolutionary historical places to visit.

8. My wife and I have camped in most of the states and we find the New Jersey State campgrounds to be very private and pleasant places to camp in. Camp in the Pine Barrens and you can visit cranberry farms, the shore and many historical places linked to the Revolutionary War.

there is much more but that should keep you busy. wolf146
You know...we lived in NJ for 2 years (pre-airstream era) and the only historical sight we saw was Washington Rock (only because it was up the hill in Warren, just north of where we lived)...I suppose we'll have to give up our prejudices from living there before, and give it another shot
__________________
-Shawn
------------------
TAC OK-42

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): http://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: http://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #32
Rivet Master
 
WineStream's Avatar
 
2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,873
Images: 24
Not like you need more, but here's my hit list, some of which have already been mentioned.

OH
  1. Columbus - Zoo
  2. Cincinnati - wonderful town on the Ohio river. We'd never visiting long term, but would like to.
  3. Amish country - near our house in north central OH
  4. Airstream factory - duh!
IN
  1. Elkhart - RV / MH hall of fame
  2. Elkhart - RV surplus parts stores.
IL (if you get that far west)

  1. Chicago - great museums on the waterfront
  2. Chicago - Rick Bayless's restaurants downtown
MI
  1. Frankenmuth - year-round Christmas town / shopping
  2. Dundee - Cabela's
  3. The Mackinac Bridge - It's a haul to get up there, but the area above and below the bridge plus the island is all pretty neat. Go in the summer for sure...it gets cold still overnight up there even in July!
  4. Dearborn - The Henry Ford Mueseum and Greenfield Village. Plan to spend at least two days to cover both.
PA
  1. Ligonier - IdleWild or Kennywood (likely your kids would need KennyWood)
  2. Gettysburg - Battlefield and Hershey nearby
NY
  1. Niagara Falls (stay on the US side, walk across the bridge for the day to the Canadian side)
  2. Upstate - I've not stayed overnight up there, but driven through a few times. The Adirondacks are wonderful. If nothing else, plan a route through them on your way to/from Vermont
VT - Waterbury - Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Factory


ME - Freeport - LL Bean headquarters


RI - Newport - Mansions; there's a tourist tolley-bus route that will drop you off at pretty much any / all of the mansions.



VA
  1. Charlottesville - Monticello
  2. Williamsburg / Historic Triangle
    1. Colonial Williamsburg
    2. Yorktown
    3. Jamestown
    4. Colonial Parkway
    5. Busch Gardens
  3. Virginia Beach Area
    1. Seafood
    2. Bridges / Tunnels
    3. Northrop Grumman shipyards (where they build aircraft carriers)
    4. Air museum & IMAX theater
  4. James River banks - multiple plantations
NC
  1. Outer Banks
  2. Kitty Hawk (first flight)
  3. Asheville - Biltmore Estate & Winery
  4. Blue Ridge Parkway
SC - Charleston; lots of old houses / war history


KY
  1. Bowling Green - Corvette factory
  2. Mammoth Cave
__________________
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #33
Certainly Blessed
 
rebelstand's Avatar
 
1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
Not like you need more, but here's my hit list, some of which have already been mentioned.
it always good to have more options...... I can't wait to get to planning.
__________________
Nicki

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #34
Certainly Blessed
 
rebelstand's Avatar
 
1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,791
I decided to take a moment to copy all your suggestions into a Word doc. You guys & gals rock. You gave me 8 pages worth of advice and suggestions. the word count was 2584.

I am going to sort them out and thanks so much. I am still open for suggestions if someone has something to add.
__________________
Nicki

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #35
Rivet Master
 
robwok's Avatar
 
1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 788
Images: 35
Here in Richmond is the white house of the confederacy (really not that impressive, but it might be good to check off the list - the Edgar Allan Poe Musuem. Not too far is Henricus Park - probably the BEST recreation of what an original settlement looked like. Pretty amazing setup. They recreated most of the buildings as they would have looked when the colonists first set up camp. Also includes an indian village, and several dugout canoes in progress. You may want to look at each city's calendar of events as well, like www.richmond.com. For example, you might be able to catch a civil war re-enactment. Maybe even do a search for the state and date coming up, like google "Baltimore May, 12, 2012" and family and see what pops up for events.

You can spend weeks in DC. Yeah, there's the smithsonian, but there are so many other things like the national botanical gardens, the spy museum, museum of odditities, riply's museums are sometimes interesting. See if you can get museum passes. For example, the science museum of Virginia has reciprocating partner programs - where if you have a pass at their museum, the other one will take the pass and vice versa. Also, try to find the farmer's markets in the areas you're going to - might keep you healthier on the trip.

We homeschool our two boys, and the younger turned 5 this year, so we're about ready to take the DC trip ourselves.
__________________
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #36
Rivet Master
 
casa3805's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 869
Images: 41
I am kind of surprised at how few people mentioned Williamsburg and Jamestown... Williamsburg in particular is cool because it is not a reproduction, it is Williamsburg, just like it was when our Forefathers were drawing up the Declaration of Independence.. You can walk on the same streets, sit in the same tavern....pretty amazing...
__________________
Chuck & Skye
Rock and Roll Will Never Die!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #37
Rivet Master
 
WineStream's Avatar
 
2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,873
Images: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
I am kind of surprised at how few people mentioned Williamsburg and Jamestown... Williamsburg in particular is cool because it is not a reproduction, it is Williamsburg, just like it was when our Forefathers were drawing up the Declaration of Independence.. You can walk on the same streets, sit in the same tavern....pretty amazing...
Although having gone to Williamsburg many times, I don't claim to be a pro about the history. However, I thought that the Magazine and maybe Burton Parish Church were the only true original buildings. I seem to remember hearing on the various tours that building X was reconstructed on the original foundation, building Y was gutted by a fire and only the fireplace was still standing, etc.? Basically most of the town has been reconstructed using period techniques and materials, I think.
__________________
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #38
1950 Flying Cloud 7039
 
FC7039's Avatar
 
1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 550
A suggestion,
Before you go, put together themed notebooks about American history. Then as you travel, let your travels take you where they may. As you pass through the various regions and come across places of interest that match your notebooks, use what you learn local to build on your notebooks.

Some possible themes
1. Presidents. I think all but 8 were born east of the Mississippi. A great way to tie history together.
2. How transportation formed America. Trains, planes, autos, boats, canals, etc.
3. Revolutionary war.
4. Civil war.
5. Industry.
6. Farming.
__________________
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #39
Rivet Master
 
WineStream's Avatar
 
2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,873
Images: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
Although having gone to Williamsburg many times, I don't claim to be a pro about the history. However, I thought that the Magazine and maybe Burton Parish Church were the only true original buildings. I seem to remember hearing on the various tours that building X was reconstructed on the original foundation, building Y was gutted by a fire and only the fireplace was still standing, etc.? Basically most of the town has been reconstructed using period techniques and materials, I think.
That'll teach me to post without proofreading and then go eat dinner so that my "Edit" timeframe expires...

should have been Bruton Parish Church, not Burton
__________________
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #40
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
 
Frank's Trailer Works's Avatar
 
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,547
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
I am kind of surprised at how few people mentioned Williamsburg and Jamestown... Williamsburg in particular is cool because it is not a reproduction, it is Williamsburg, just like it was when our Forefathers were drawing up the Declaration of Independence.. You can walk on the same streets, sit in the same tavern....pretty amazing...
Complete with the vary same gift shop in the beginning and end of each and every building just like our forefathers shopped when they toured the very streets. In the past 10 years Williamsburg has become an experience much like going to Disney(which I know many of you love so my point is wasted) where the entire experience is controlled. Every opportunity to squeeze a dollar is taken advantage of too.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #41
Addicted
 
exthemius's Avatar
 
1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 703
Images: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
In the past 10 years Williamsburg has become an experience much like going to Disney(which I know many of you love so my point is wasted) .
Not wasted Speaking for me, when I go to Disney, I expect Disney (but only AT Disney)....I hate it when other places are so groomed and controlled, actually (big pet peeve).
__________________
-Shawn
------------------
TAC OK-42

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): http://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: http://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #42
Rivet Master
 
MrUKToad's Avatar

 
2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,372
Images: 17
Blog Entries: 13
I went to Williamsburg about 15 years ago when I was on an extended trip from the UK. I was a little disappointed that the houses weren't original but I don't remember there being any great deception; there was even a display about the rebuilding process. From a Brit's point of view I have always admired how Americans "do" history; always brought to life and always fully accessible. In the UK we often take history for granted; there's plenty of it but it's rarely as well done as it is in the US (I make an exception for Warwick Castle, a recommendation for anyone visiting England).

Once I'd settled into the fact that the place was a rebuild, I was much happier and had a great day out. Being in full vacation mode I have to say that I didn't really notice the cost of things there, except that it was way cheaper than Disney. Lots of Americans we spoke to said that they did feel it was expensive so I guess 62Overlander has a point.
__________________

__________________
Steve; also known as Mr UK Toad

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
history, planning


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1500 Mile Trip to get her home - Suggestions? Bambi_Bandit 1960 - 1964 Overlander 17 03-01-2015 06:17 PM
Whirlwind Trip From Oregon to Montana... phbarnhart On The Road... 6 12-07-2011 04:07 PM
Crater Lake trip 2011 sharbours On The Road... 4 08-12-2011 10:19 PM
Outer Banks Trip Memorial Day 2011 FLMarine On The Road... 3 06-29-2011 05:58 AM
Planning trip to Oregon and Washington au_ee On The Road... 15 04-10-2011 10:03 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.