Old 04-08-2015, 07:51 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Oak Ridge , Tennessee
We made it to Eastport and Little Deer Island last year (not camping). We fell in love with Eastport...very quirkly, laid back town the coast across the bay from Canada. Not sure of camping facilities but saw several campers just boon-docking in town. I had lobster just about every meal. Stonington is beautiful. Personally, I'd stay away from Bar Harbor...too crowded. Ferry from Stonington to Acadia is a good option.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:17 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
Hello from Kennebunk. There are a lot of great places all along the coast, and of course there are great mountains and lakes as well. I live and work in Kennebunk now and have been in the southern coast (south of Portland) for a little over 11 years, but for about 25 years lived in the midcoast area, mostly in Rockport, which is next to Camden. The coast from Kittery, just over the New Hampshire border, up to Portland has sandy beaches and is very popular. North of Portland the coast gets more rocky, with fewer long beaches, but nonetheless some great ones. As you pass through or by Freeport, be sure to visit the world-famous LL Bean store, which is open 24/7/365. The Freeport area coastline is also excellent. The Damariscotta area is very beautiful, as are the midcoast towns in the Penobscot Bay area. As others have said, Camden Hills State Park is excellent. Another 90 miles up the coast is Acadia National Park, the town of Bar Harbor and many small towns on Mount Desert Island. Farther up toward Canada is the "Bold Coast" with beautiful bluffs, Cobscook Bay, as mentioned earlier, and even over the border, Campobello Island, with FDR's summer home and Canadian provincial parks. Here is a good portal for information on campgrounds in Maine: Visit Maine Of course, sites like the Maine Camping Guide app for smartphone and Allstays Camp & RV app will fill in a lot of information. If you bring bicycles, I suggest visiting the island of Islesboro by ferry from Lincolnville Beach, leaving your Airstream and your tow vehicle on the mainland and just cycling around Islesboro for the day. Casual cycling doesn't get any better than a beautiful Maine summer day on Islesboro. This brings to mind that the Deer Isle peninsula and Stonington on the east side of Penobscot Bay, and the town of Blue Hill (maybe 40 miles south of Bar Harbor) are favorites of mine, too.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:27 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
I should have mentioned the carriage roads at Acadia National Park, if you like beautiful bicycling.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:43 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Rockwood , Maine
SteveH, hope your plans are coming together for your trip to Maine this summer. In April you received some great advice on places to visit along the coast of Maine. We live in the "other" part of Maine, the North Maine Woods. Lots of chances for boondocking. Plenty of Black Flies here along with some beautiful cold fresh water lakes and streams.

During "Bug Season", May and June and always that magic feeding hour just after sunset we found a great DEET free product that works great and is promoted as a natural insect repellent. The product is Buzz Away Extreme, we found it on Amazon Enjoy your trip to Maine

Howard
Old 05-27-2015, 06:42 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Ate every lobstah you guys had up there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1794.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	239357   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1801.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	239358  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1786.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	239359   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1805.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	239360  

Old 05-27-2015, 06:49 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
We spent a month and a half there. We stopped in Portland and stayed at Bayleys RV Resort, it was nice and I would certainly stay there again.

Then we drove to Acadia national forest and stayed the remainder of our time there, it's magical, like unreal, almost unbelievable. And the NICEST people in the world...... I would totally live there.

Kayaking is out of this world, the small hidden gem lakes are pristine, untouched, some hard to get to but worth it. I found a blog on bass fishing there by a local, and that led to me some of the best little lakes they had to offer.

Acadia national park, up the mountain, amazing views!!! Lots of biking and hiking - it's paradise. You MUST go. We went right as the leaves started to change, so over that month, we watched them shift.

Portland has a fabulous farmers market each weekend, so if you go there, visit that.

While in Portland, you must eat at Otto - OTTO - West End - Portland, ME - Yelp It's a one of a kind for sure.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:50 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
I should have mentioned the carriage roads at Acadia National Park, if you like beautiful bicycling.
Absolutely on this one too. They are easy to find and get to, we walked the entire carriage loop with our dogs, it was great. There's also a path less traveled through the forest around the lake there, we took that path, dogs LOVED it.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:35 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Let us know how it was and your experience with the campgrounds!
Old 06-01-2015, 08:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
It's been a while, but I seem to remember reading that some of the roads cannot be driven by trailers due to low overpasses -- would those roads only be interstates or also state routes, or ? How does one know for certain which roadways are safe to travel?

Thanks.

Deb
Old 06-01-2015, 08:58 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
My wife has put together a travel bog and we headed up to the Kennebunkport area which is a three hour drive north from Rhode Island. We had a great time , and had been ten years since we spent time in Maine. She took some nice photos. The weather has been great in New England the last few weeks.

www.thestreamingnugget.com

We hope to head back in the fall.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:12 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
Nice photos of Kennebunkport and Biddeford Pool. Incidentally, Cape Porpoise -- one of my favorite places -- is part of Kennebunkport. You do a nice blog, eliset123. I didn't see a way to sign up to receive notices when you post. Is there a setting somewhere on your blog for people to "follow"?
Old 06-02-2015, 08:08 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Rockwood , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
It's been a while, but I seem to remember reading that some of the roads cannot be driven by trailers due to low overpasses -- would those roads only be interstates or also state routes, or ? How does one know for certain which roadways are safe to travel?

Thanks.

Deb
Deb, Most all roads in Maine are standard clearance, on a rare occasion you do find low clearance bridges ect, but they are signed well in advance with work arounds readily available in most all cases. I am not sure of a source that identifies these but they should be a minimal occurance. Safe Travels Howard
Old 06-07-2015, 09:45 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
Here is a blog about Acadia National Park:
Spring blossoms, rhodora inspires, in Acadia National Park

by Acadia on my mind
Old 06-08-2015, 12:13 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Maine has some very nice lakes for kayaking.

The stars are awesome, and there are lots of shooting stars in August.